Toshiba Satellite Question

I have a C675-S7103 with a Pentium processor in it which is 35W
I was looking to upgrade and I have seen lists of CPU's that may work in it
Two questions - Does anyone know if this is soldered in?
Does anyone see a big problem going from a 35W to a 45W CPU in this?
Yes, I realize that the PSU is rated at a particular rating but that rating includes wattage for, for instance, running external HDD's that may not have external power supplies, etc., so I believe there may be some headroom IF the mobo can support it
And yes, I realize cooling might not be great but with higher fan speeds (this thing barely spins up from what I can hear though I haven't checked RPM's) and with better TIM I believe a 45W CPU might be doable. That is, if this isn't soldered in and I really don't want to take it all apart to find out that it IS soldered...
Any idea?

almost 100% percent it has a socket. Never seen a laptop with it soldered in except in small ultralight laptops.

Some things to note.
How much thermal headroom do you have. Good way to measure is to stress test the CPU+iGPU and see what the max temp is.
How much headroom do you have with the current power supply. Most laptop power supplies operate just within its specs.
Does your bios even support it? Some laptop bioses only have support for the CPU designed to be in that laptop

2 Likes

Assuming everything @Dje4321 mentioned is in good order, the B960 chip is socketed, so you should be able to swap in something with more guts.

2 Likes

From what I've seen, manufacturers are starting to solder everything. My i7 4710HQ in my MSI is soldered. The i7 in the Dell precision M3800 I just worked on was also soldered. This might just be an intel thing though, havent torn down an AMD APU.

2 Likes

Was gonna say, straight soldering is becoming much more common, particularly with cheap laptops. Socketed CPUs were much more common in the Core 2 days afaik.

1 Like

yeah. thats just a intel thing.
Older intel CPUs are socketed and AMD ones are mostly socketed except the lower TDP ones

1 Like

I mean my MSI was only $800 but the dell precision was closer to $1800

So it looks like its a sandy bridge based CPU. Is that old enough to be socketed? I havent followed laptop hardware up until recently since core 2 duo which was definitely socketed.

1 Like

intel has gone the way of BGA since that is in the highest demand with cheap ultralight laptops. Nobody wants a socketed cpu in cheap laptops because that adds cost.

Higher end stuff is maybe because it makes repairs and RMAs simpler because you can just swap it out vs a whole new motherboard

1 Like

You can absolutely upgrade the CPU. The i3-2350M is used in the slightly higher-spec S7109 but generally speaking any Sandy-Bridge based dual-core CPU should function in that laptop. The HM65 chipset works with quad-core CPUs but I'd be more worried about thermal conditions and firmware limitations such as a whitelist.

Yes. "FCPGA988, PGA988" details a Pin Grid Array package which is certainly a socket based system. (rPGA988B being the socket itself.)

1 Like

Then I guess the question is, will the BIOS allow such an upgrade without throwing a fit? I couldnt find info about what CPU models that laptop would have come with.

This list shows the processors the HM65 chipset is compatable with.

This list shows the i7 2640M having the same TDP as the B960.

1 Like

I only know for certain that the i3-2350M works but past experience with laptop upgrades suggest any 35W dual-core should work, including the i7-2640M.

1 Like

Well I guess it stands to reason that if the i3 works the i5s and i7s should as well.

@aodix That ebay listing I linked is $50. I would give a shot just for the hell of it. If thats too steep the suggested i3 2350M is only $16.50

Seems like the only difference is 1MB of cache, turboing, and ~500mhz

1 Like

yup that was one of the ones I was looking at possibly going with

so i was going by this:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket%20G2%20(rPGA988B).html

and i thought about either the 2640m which in terms of thermal and power limits should be fine i believe, or i was considering the 2860QM...which i realize is going to be 10W higher and that would impact thermals and power consumption BUT i was hoping might still be able to run
of course BIOS compatibility could certainly be an issue and I am unsure where to find for certain that it is compatible
i am extremely grateful that the folks on this thread pointed out that these are NOT BGA and are in fact PGA which, I believe confirms that it is NOT soldered

what I am thinking is that if i can go with the 4C/8T i7 and bumping up to 8gb of memory, swapping out the spinner for an SSD, and getting a wireless AC and BT combo card, this really won't be too bad at all!!!...of course the gfx will still be terrible and battery life will suffer but I'm typing this on a Dell E6500 with 8gb mem and a T9900 so low battery life is OK with me and gfx wont be a huge problem for me i dont think either

thanks a ton again everyone and if anyone reading this knows for sure what limitations THIS particular model has then please comment, and otherwise i think i may just have to take that leap of faith, cross my fingers, pray to St. Torvalds and St. Gates and just, sorta see what happens...

1 Like