Toshiba PX05SRB SSD Failures

Hi all, just posting to see if anyone has any other possible solutions / possibly to raise awareness of these drives failing.

I have a several Toshiba PX05SRB SSD’s that are all (except one) reporting to a Dell RAID card that they’ve failed, and when they are plugged into a SuperMicro chassis with a different SAS controller, the drives report a capacity of 0 Bytes.

Screenshot from the SuperMicro SAS Controller:

Screenshot of the email from iDRAC:

I’ve tried:

• Inserting the drive in a different slot - makes no difference
  • Using the SuperMicro’s SAS controller to verify or format the drives - it instantly fails
  • Booting from an Ubuntu Live ISO to work on the drives - all options for disk management were greyed out

I do see that IBM says there is a required firmware update these drives to prevent premature failure, but I don’t have one of their arrays to apply said update.

I’m guessing all of the drives are toast, but I’d really like that to not be the case haha

Thanks!

Not sure if bumping is allowed, but bump!
I’d love to not have to throw these drives out

Were these Dell branded drives? if so so you remember what idrac reported as there “Remaining Rated Write Endurance”?

I’ve got the same drives and remember the over aggressive wear leveling algorithm issue, even after the firmware update they seem to burn their P/E cycles pretty fast just sitting idle… but that is the price you pay for having flash that stays fast and doesn’t have charge decay performance issues.