Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

Was just thinking of this yesterday hahaha. But I’ve seen a portable setup where NUCs were using USB-C NICs, seems to do the trick.

They do the new one that’s a pcie card

still watching video… but if you can run it standalone…

this could me interesting…

someone needs to try one of those gpu miner breakout boards…

It’s like a VM in your box lol

How old is your enterprise stuff?

Honestly do not know the dates of the models, but these are 32nm 4 core and 6 core chips, so I’m guessing around 2012 production dates.

I’m giving zonemind another stab in the meantime.

How can one change the zoneminder’s web port as a plugin in FreeNAS?

Poking around I found /mnt/Pool1/iocage/jails/zonenvr/plugin/overlay/usr/local/etc/nginx

the conf file there does not have the listen line.

So I tried /mnt/Pool1/iocage/jails/zonenvr/root/usr/local/etc/nginx- director has a bunch of files I’m not finding the listening port in.

Even if I did find the file, I’m remembering messing around with FreeNAS before and I think I should be in a totally different path if I want to make changes that survive a reboot…

This is kind of making my point again- this vs. Synology webGUI to change these things. I’m on this forum because I like this stuff, but in this use-case I’m wanting click and go.

God yeah you are sucking down the power, I never like used enterprise unelss its only a few years old or specific low power stuff.

1 Like

I think I found where to change the port Zoneminder web is on (doing this to give something like zmNinga-pro a go).

/mnt/Pool1/iocage/jails/zonenvr/root/usr/local/etc/nginx/nginx.conf-dist

After port forwarding I can test. Reason I’m changing the port is because I don’t want zoneminder to hog 80/443, I want to keep open the possibility of self hosting a site later (that makes for some really cool logs).

As much as I’m pro FOSS, after spending 15 min in zoneminder interface, I went all in on Unifi video/protect.

2 Likes

100%. I will not talk trash of zoneminder, but its just not for my use-case. I don’t want my security to be an experiment, and I don’t want to google every single step (hundreds of them) of every little thing. I want solid app (NAS and phone) development, ergo, and support.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there is a staggering amount of hours that devs have put into Zoneminder- but I need a polished, intuitive, ‘it just works’ setup.

• Edit and then on top of that all the work people put in to make it install as a plugin in FreeNAS (was a drama free install at that).

Add to that the zmNinja app is $5.00, there is no free trial. If the app sucks, I’m out $5 for that experiment.

Curious, as I’m gearing up to finally get a NAS, why Synology over iXsystems FreeNAS Mini/XL?

Overpriced imo, might as well just build your own with new hardware. (I built one in the 4 drive chassis with a intel 4130t years ago)

3 Likes

I’m mainly interested in the case to be honest. That, and trying to find ECC RAM here is stupidly difficult.

I dont think the sell the XL case as a stand alone you can get the mini case tho

Likely going to get the bare minimum, the case+mobo/CPU+32GB combo.

Ablecom CS-T80 is the XL case
Hrm not sure how one would order one tho, there is the CS381

That would be a good DIY option but kind of pricey and fitment could be pretty tight per wendells help on GN build.

Oh this is pretty nice

1 Like

This is old, but it does have the mpn for that case. Never sold to directly to consumers afaik though.

1 Like

@Optimization looks like @mutation666 and @oO.o went above and beyond, hope your questions are answered.

My 2cents IRT "why Synology over - insert anything FreeNAS here - " is user experience. But outside of your situation and more specific to me is also power consumption. My current setup is really costing me every month.

TLDR: IMO FreeNAS can do what Synology does without getting really into the weeds of maybe Zoneminder just does zones, Synology now has AI (facial recognition, subject recongition) etc. But Synology’s GUI is built so a derp like me can actually do the things/get them going. FreeNAS has been more of an IT training experience- watered down because they have made great strides to make it user friendly. Don’t get me wrong, its not like I’m building my own software stacks here, and compiling from code, debugging, building out datasets via CLI etc.

– Ranting –

Its a gross generalization or oversimplification, I’m sorry. So staying away from the weeds such as ZFS vs. BTRFS. Consumer hardware vs. enterprise (ECC, redundant power supplies, the quality of the power supplies themselves etc. For me its coming down to user experience.

I am not ‘burned’ by FreeNAS. In fact I have cold feet to leave it. I’ve become a member of the ZFS church- a ZFS snob. Their webGUI is good (just wish some things were actually there vs. having to CLI sometimes), their plugins ever evolving in support, quality and ‘one-click’ install like fashion. FreeNAS is great, for someone that wants the general use of a NAS then IMO its pretty much turn key. But to get deeper into features, its geared for the “I can do this myself” admin or enthusiasts.

Look at Synology like its made for your parents- but at the same time its packed with features if you do want to use them- in ‘one click’ like fashion. And if you don’t find it in the GUI, it is built on Linux, you can go under the hood if you choose to and there is a lot of support/documentation.

Hell I might get the Synology and be totally un-impressed and regret it. But from what I’ve been reading and watching, it checks all the boxes for me.

• NAS RAID 6 (I’ll miss ZFS though)
  • SMB, iscsi, NFS
  • can put in a 10 gig card
  • Camera NVR with #itjustworks zoning, notifications, self-hosted port forwarding NO CLOUD, great Android app, pretty much all of the features of my reolink app, promise of future updates such as better and better AI (disclaimer, will be paying a few hundred in licensing for all of this).
  • Host one or two small VMs saving me from running a power hungry ESXi or Xen box to just run a small Splunk build and HomeAssistant build
  • Plex
  • Home PC backups that are really trick- will make a bootable USB image of your PCs
  • More generic backup options as well, lots to choose from
  • Services one would use NextCloud for, but I’m assuming more refined (and more secure by default vs what people have to do on Plex)
  • but largely that all the above has been gone over with such a fine tooth “how to make this user friendly” comb it makes it easy and simple.

I will migrate homelab’ing stuff to type2 hypervisor duties, not to always idling away type1s- as I do still want to homelab, but I don’t want the infrastructure I’m homelabbing from/on to be part of the homelabbing anymore.

1 Like

FWIW, I tend to set clients up with Synology for main production server and FreeNAS for backup/archive.

With the caveat that rsyncing Synology to FreeNAS is unnecessarily unintuitive, it gives the business owner/manager an interface they can log into and mostly understand while retaining the data integrity/compression/etc benefits of ZFS.

I used to do all FreeNAS, but I found that the clients are very uneasy about having all of their data on a box that they can’t comprehend, especially since I am almost entirely administering offsite.

3 Likes