Token's lvl1 blog- edit -- Token's rantings

You just reboot?

Looks normal depending on how many dimms you have installed.

1 Like

I did just reboot, I’m going to open the case up soon as fans are not reporting in as well.

I donno, if service and performance is not impacted (and the FreeNAS GUI is not throwing any alerts) I guess ‘meh’. It will just dig at my inner-OCD that the lights are funky now.

It’s normal for ipmi to show a lot of missing fans. It’s set up to monitor more fans than exist in the system.

The ram usage is normal. ARC is cleared on reboot.

The lights are annoying but I’ve seen erratic lights on those backplanes before. Doesn’t mean anything in my experience.

Seems to be the case. I just did a power down, pulled all the plugs, opened her up, saw I do not have that much RAM sticks installed, saw only 3 fans. Powered it all back on, still have all of those red lights.

What sucks for me is, what changed? Been all blue for darn near a year, and now just this evening (I see the server a few times a day at the very least) they go red? I traced the cables and I think its a culprit RAID (IT mode/JBOD). I have two cards, one is pulling way more weight than the other (one has 8 drives, the other 4, the 4 drive one is all blue, the 8 drive one has the dual blue and red LED thing going on).

But like you said, it doesn’t seem to impact anything so its just going to tick at my OCD.

I just bought some Jameson black barrel, imma need a swig or two.

1 Like

Yeah, posted about LEDs being odd on my backplane a little while ago in the sysadmin thread, where I just had one drive not light up at all. Just fixed itself magically.
Seems pretty random… :ghost:

2 Likes

LOL. All the LEDs are just blue again. Random AF

1 Like

My apc pro1500 started screaming, cut power to my stuff and showed a code, “F02”. Turned it back on and now there is this:

Batteries are 5 years old so I guess it’s time, but thanks APC for cutting power to the things important enough to use an APC…

2 Likes

It’s seems pretty good though… 96 minutes of run-time showing with a laptop plugged in and power pulled from the wall… Now showing 160min runtime for that laptop…

Welp… I guess there was a very very small and gradual leak, I can’t even see from where on the battery but it corroded the terminal so it ripped off, ate up the plastic as it traveled along the wire. The wiring insulation survived great, but the chassis plastic of the piece that combines the two 12v batteries into a 24v unit for totally eaten up along the wire.

1 Like

I watched Mark’s video a long time ago

I’m super tempted to get the super cap kits on eBay, doubled up to 32v for this 24v setup. Yes, it won’t have but a tiny fraction of the capacity. No, I won’t go the extra distance of figuring out the hack to the board to get that little bit more from the caps (or maybe later). But I just want the apc to give me a minute or two to save and shutdown.

1 Like

Welcome to the consumer UPS experience.

4 Likes

Have a nexus 7 tablet that couldn’t stay charged while the screen was on and plugged into the OEM charger (use it for my PoE IP cams).

Teh googles said to clear the delvik cache, weird but ok.

Used this neat little Amazon USB power meter to validate results and try a few different cables and chargers.

Clearing the cache was the fix!

Pre clearing, it would charge at about .250 amps. Messing around with chargers would sometimes get it to .4xx amps. Post clearing it got to about .7xx. changed the cable out to get it to 1.xx amps. Now not only does the tablet not power down after a few hours of screen on time while plugged in, but can charge up while the screen is on.

2 Likes

The WFH pile of laptops.

X2 desktops

Thank goodness for the @wendell lvl1 KVM

Some home depot DIY brackets using the OEM rack mount taps for a table bottom install.

Little bonus, use a USB switch to ensure some things are off, for sure off.

5 Likes

How’d you mount it?

1 Like

Rack kit is in the store :slight_smile: but home depot brackets work fine too

3 Likes

Thats not the rack kit tho (no ears like how oO.o has it mounted)

2 Likes

End result

Bits of brackets

Finger out the thread pitch to find more bolts

5 Likes

@oO.o sorry for the first reply having just one pic of it hanging there. I edited and got the other pics in.

@wendell the angle made it so I couldn’t use the rack mount brackets, or I’m assuming they wouldn’t have worked rotated up like that.

1 Like

I’m feeling the need for change- I want to shed my enterprise rack mount stuff for small, power efficient replacements.

I’m getting really itchy to get a Synology DS1618+. I’m realizing I want to be less of an admin of my stuff and more a user. Zoneminder on my FreeNAS did not work with my Reolinks no matter how many tricks from various forums I tried. Jails- meh. Setting up rsync was a great exercise- but again I want to be more a user now, less of a training exercise. The direction I’ve gone with work is Powershell and specializing in very specific software products. its less and less an advantage to be into the admin part of it now, and doing it has been diverting me from what I need to focus on. I no longer need to maintain a high level of VMWare experience etc, and I feel my first stab at homelabbing (z800 as an all-in-one hypervisor and NAS) and then “v2” with discrete hardware has served it’s purpose. Time to have the ‘Apple’ of NAS experiences so I can focus on tasks at hand.

Synology is pricey, but it will deliver on so many things I’ve been wanting out of a NAS short of ZFS.

Seeing this in my future…

My current setup takes up space in the garage, weighs too much to be moved easily, sucks tons of power, and I’m not using it to a fraction of it’s potential.

This Synology, upgrade some stuff on it, run some VMs that I always want going on it, fits in the home office. Run some cheap old ebay desktops if I need some more hypervisor hosts, some other odds and ends, my whole home lab will be quiet, in my office, and can fit in a filing box if I need to move.

3 Likes

If only they made dual nic NUCs… Could go tiny compute

1 Like