! to upgrade to pop 22.04 or not to upgrade?

im still running the 21.04 version with the custom

5.15.35-xanmod1 but id like to go to the newer 22.04 but id like to know
will my extensions like vitals , dash to dock an just perfection , an others still work

also will i have to redo my sudo commands for coolbits (4 - 8) an custom fan control
for my 1660 sc oc which i need since gwe dosent work for me anymore

an will other custom tweaks remain or will i have to reinstalling and re-configure everything
these are some customs id like to keep unless thers a equivalent to them that works

the same or as well that will run on the new desktop

I can’t say too much for what of your existing setup will follow through, but 21.04 is already eol after 9 months - Ubuntu Fridge | Ubuntu 21.04 (Hirsute Hippo) End of Life reached on January 20 2022

There may be some plugins you have to reconfigure/readd, but 22.04 is a LTS release so you won’t need necessarily to keep remaking them.

Generally it’d be advisable to revert to standard packages i.e. turn off xanmod oibaf/then upgrade, if that’s what you do. a month or two and someone else will likely at least have checked their plugins against it.

In my case i’ve some xrandr scripts that are particular to x.org from 20.04 so i’m giving it a month (or so) and to decide i’m jumping one way or another.

As @exovert mentioned 21.04 is already out of support and I doubt you will be able to upgrade directly to 22.04. You usually need to be on the previous interim or LTS version. Pretty sure that means you’ll need to upgrade to 21.10 first (which might cause breakage of its own). If you’re worried about your extensions like dash-to-dock you should spin up a VM running 21.04, install your extensions, and upgrade to 21.10 to see what breaks.

But if you’re asking about upgrading today you really should hold off. 22.04 is still in beta and has not been officially released. Pop_OS is usually about a month behind the Ubuntu release.

1 Like

I would personally stick with 20.04 for a month or two.
Ubuntu 22.04 is released however Pop is likely going to be a month or so behind.
Linux mint basically does the same thing.
This is so that most of the bugs will be ironed out at that time.

20.04 is still supported in regards to security updates.
So it won’t matter to stick with it for like a month or two,
so that the current LTS release of Ubuntu has some time to mature.

thanks to all for that ,i have a lot to think on thanks

I wouldn’t upgrade to beta (unless you’re desperately looking for specific things like hardware support). I’m also waiting for Pop22.04 on my laptop and I’m not installing a beta right now when full release is coming very soon.

whens the non beta supposed to drop as i thought since i see the 22.04 lts on pops main site that it was

Wowsers that was quick. They officially released it yesterday.

Before upgrading you may also want to check GNOME 42 compatibility for each of your extensions at https://extensions.gnome.org. Vitals says it’s compatible with 42 but Dash-to-dock has not yet been updated. You can manually bump the extension’s shell-version number in the metadata.json file to force enable it, but it might not behave as expected. Just word of warning there. Hope all goes well :slight_smile: