Tips for comparing batteries?

Hello!

I’m going to replace my battery :battery: in my OnePlus 10 Pro.

I tried a lottery - I have a new battery from Aliexpress

However, before I close the back cover, I would like to compare the performance of the old battery with the new one to ensure that I have purchased a reliable battery.

I hope new battery will be better. But we will see…

To carry out this comparison, I am seeking recommendations for a suitable app that can assist me in the process. My proposed methodology involves conducting a benchmark test using the following steps:

1. Charge both batteries to 100% and restart the device.

2. Play a video or run a benchmark test on loop using 100% brightness, with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled.

3. Measure the duration for which the task runs until the battery is depleted.

4. Repeat the process with the second battery and compare the results.

Alternatively, I am also considering discharging both batteries to 1% and measuring the battery capacity in milliampere-hours (mAh) when charged to 100%.Additionally, it would be helpful if there is a way to receive notifications when the battery reaches certain predetermined percentages.I would greatly appreciate any tips or suggestions regarding the best approach to compare the old and new batteries.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

// update: or maybe discharge to 1% is too hardcore, I know, Lithium batteries should not be totally discharged, ideally we should move between ~20% and ~80%.

before I will start charging from 1% to 100%

I decided to monitor discharge from 100% to 1% when playing couple of 4K 60fps videos in a loop with always-on screen with 100% brightness.

update #01:

update #02:

update #03:

Whenever you swap in a new battery, you do want to charge it to 100% and then drain it to 0%, it trains in the battery for correct charge levels. It’s more an issue of you don’t want to repeatedly go over 80% and under 20% because they wear much faster that way.

really? Is it valid for Lithium batteries too? I’m still confused because I read already both that’s true and others says opposite. But certainly it was true for older batteries NiCd (probably also NiMH)

True the OS does a lot of guessing with batteries. You may need to time it with a clock go to woe on a task to compare. Or a factory re-install to trust the phones software.

Just my 2 cents – my biggest concern comparing batteries would be their stability or safety. I had an Asus laptop almost set my office on fire. I remember smelling something funny one morning and rather than just starting my tasks I started sniffing around – and the source was one of my laptops which was slightly bulging and hot to the touch. I immediately disassembled it and found it’s battery had expanded like a pillow and was hot and “hissing”. I pulled it’s cable connection to the motherboard and ran outside with it. I placed it on a broken tile and within 20 minutes it had gone from hot and hissing to shooting out jets of flame with fireballs of metal bits along with copious quantities of noxious smoke. I’ve attached before and after pics:

I wouldn’t risk a fire for 10 minutes of added battery time – not worth it. Instead, focus on getting factory batteries – same part SKU used in your laptop – never know if that will come in handy in the event of a battery malfunction (I take it your laptop is already out of warranty). A different part SKU could be used as an argument to deny insurance claims if the laptop causes any damage if the battery goes off.

Older laptops like the old Lenovos had very good battery charge management. You could set it to only start charging at say 53% and limit it’s charge to 80% – and this setting was saved on the motherboard so these limits would be respected even if the laptop was plugged in while turned off. Well, no longer. If you leave your laptop plugged in, it’ll charge the battery to 100% and keep it there – something lithium batteries do not like. One of these days – poof!

I now run my laptops without batteries. Some laptops had to be disassembled to remove their batteries, others you could easily unclip and slide out from the bottom or side. They run just fine. I use a large UPS – so stable 120V power isn’t an issue. The power bricks have internal capacitors which provide power for a second or two if there’s a glitch.

It’s a valiant effort, but I don’t think it’s possible to get repeatable results with Android because it’s unpredictable in it’s processes caching and inner workings. The more apps you have loaded on, the more unpredictable it becomes.

Doing so once it’s not for the battery but to calibrate the BMS inside the phone. That way it learns the true capacity of the battery and should report remaining battery life and runtime more accurately.