Tips for a new Magic player?

I've just recently bought my first 7 MTG booster card packs. I'm completely new. What do I need to know? What should I buy (Intro packs)? And, how does the game work?

Cheers.

I never really played Magic. I knew quite a few people who did though. They always would try and group cards in a deck that both spawned a card and automatically inflicted damage at the same time to create a sort of cascade effect...that's all I really know about it.

1 Like

I know you just started, but are you a competitive person? Do you have money? There is a difference between casual players and competitive. Keeping up with T2 (current meta) is expensive and time consuming, and obtaining Legacy cards is also expensive. Be prepared to sink a lot of money into it if you want to be competitive. If you're unsure and simply want to keep it casual, find people at your local comic book store and perhaps get involved in a draft.

I played from Unlimited edition until high school (early to late 90s), and then picked it up again right before 10th Edition (around 2006). I also stopped again in 2010 simply because it is so expensive. I still love the game, but I don't really like the people that play it and I hate how there are only usually a few decks that dominate T2, and if you're not playing them you don't really get anywhere - unless of course you're amazing and create your own successful deck (very hard to do), which then everyone else will play and jack up the price of your cards. Don't let my experience discourage you though. It really is a fun game.

I've more or less found sanctuary in Hearthstone. Face paced games. Free. A bit "dumbed-down" than Magic, but I kind of like it that way too. And its available on your mobile device!

Good luck, and have fun!

Yeah, I've played Hearthstone for years. But, I was thinking about "upgrading" to MTG. Hmmm.... :/

I play casually up by a local tabletop gaming shop with some friends. there are many different formats to accommodate different playing styles. The format i always play is called EDH, or Commander. Games in this format last longer and often you play with more then 2 people (at least i do). When we play none of us play to win and we build decks around being fun then to go off fast. My experience is from this format so I can only comment on EDH, and general MTG questions. I don't know specifics about other formats.

How you approach getting started and building a deck depends on what format you want to try out. The hobby can get expensive but you can build inexpensive decks that can hold up well. If you know of local players or a shop where people play they may be open to helping you out in building a deck. You can get information about other offical formats here http://magic.wizards.com/en/game-info/gameplay/rules-and-formats/formats and rules here: http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/comprehensiverules

My main deck has been a work in progress for many years. As I learn and find new cards I swap things out, but tips and suggestions from friends really made a difference in how well it preformed. I just picked a commander who i thought was cool and built around that. In EDH, you pick a legendary creature to be your commander, and you design decks around their color(s) and ability(s). Decks are exactly 100 cards and only one of any card can be in the deck (unless specified otherwise). The commander lives in a special zone where they can be cast at any time and if they where to be removed form the field, they can go back there if the player chooses to let them.

1 Like