Time to build my new server! Are these parts good? Suggest away!

My current server is a Xeon 1225V5, SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-O, Black Diamond 32GB (4 x 16GB) unbuffered, 6x10TB seagate Ironwolfs connected via IBM ServeRaid M1015, 6x4TB WD Reds connected via SATA, in a Corsair 750D case. I’m running FreeNas 11.2. Seagates are for storage, and the WD reds are for Plex.

Problem is, I want more HDDs. Solution is getting a disk shelf, and building a rack-mount server. I’ll buy a generic rack-mount PC case later. Right now I’m focusing on the disk shelf, and the raid cards, and CPU/Mobo. Budget is of little concern, but I’m trying to keep it under 1500, not to include the new hard drives.

1. I’m about to buy a NetApp DS4246. I’m somewhat nervous about this because I’ve never worked with a diskshelf before. Is this a good option? I’m getting it with the caddies for $245 on ebay. Here is the link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-DS4246-Disk-Array-Shelf-W-24x-SAS-Trays-2x-IOM6-SAS-Expansion-Array/202404952486?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D6c4997977686490683ea5bd56d1bf4c5%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D202404952486%26itm%3D202404952486&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

2. Next is the raid card. I’ve watched many videos on L1Techs and a few other channels, and it seems that the card is always referred to as “an old LSI raid card”, but never by model number. What exactly do I need to connect to this disk shelf? Can anyone recommend a good card? Also, what’s the name of the cable that connects the card to the disk shelf?

3. Ryzen 1700 paired with ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING. My current server is a 4-core xeon. This Ryzen 1700 is an 8-Core 16-Thread monster, at such a cheap price. It supports unbubbered ECC too. I can’t think of any reason to spend extra money on a threadripper platform, or any intel platforms.

I’m not dead set on any of this. This is my first rack-mount build, so I appreciate any advice anyone can offer. TIA,

-Paul

2c, but if you’re looking at a Netapp shelf, maybe consider actually grabbing an entire filer?

The Netapp FAS2240s are basically a controller in a shelf all-in-one and can likely be obtained for similar money to what you just listed for a shelf. I’ve seen them go for $300-400 Australian here at auction, and then you will have a full fileserver solution (admittedly without netapp support, but hey - the shelves were intended to work with the controller, etc.).

You’ll want to make sure you have the passwords/etc. for it, but maybe an option to consider.

I’d definitely google what your options are for wiping/reinstalling without netapp support or how the passwords can be recovered if required first though.

edit:
Also… the FAS2240 can act as a dumb shelf if you pull the controller out of it IIRC.

So win win… if you can make it work as a FAS, all good. If you can’t… it’s just a shelf, or a pair if you get one with a shelf as well.

1 Like

@thro Thanks!
I’ll be completely honest. I’ve been building gaming PCs for about 6 years now, but my server knowledge has a long way to go. What is the difference between a disk shelf and a filer. Would having the controller built in be a “hardware RAID”? I know FreeNas does not play well with hardware raid cards. Would this filer connect to the host PC with the same type of pcie card?
Also, netapp support? No idea what that is. Is that like support from the manufacturer? or support to run a particular software?

OK… Netapp have a product line up called Filers which are basically a file server solution that does CIFS, NFS and Fibre-channel(? i think) with the appropriate modules. Its fully self contained, runs Netapp data onTap which is a customised version of FreeBSD with its own filesystem, etc.

FAS xxxx is a filer model.

The Netapp FAS2240 is a low-end filer that is essentially a netapp shelf with in-built controller, commonly sold in a few small setups such as 2 shelves (one including the controller) of disks.

They are sold with the feature of being able to be turned into a dumb shelf when you out-grow the capabilities of the inbuilt controller and upgrade to say a 3000 series filer - you don’t throw away the 2240 you just turn it into a shelf for your shiny new more capable filer.

However, if you’re new to this server stuff - they’re a lot more complex to set up (as a standalone filer) than say, just a shelf of disks for you FreeNAS box.

But in theory, if you can find instructions on how to connect a netapp disk shelf to your server, you should be able to do the same with a Netapp FAS2240 filer setup - by turning the filer into a dumb shelf by removing/disabling its controller.

Essentially if you buy a 2240, you’re getting a shelf with a free controller that can run as a netapp filer for free.

2 Likes

I have gone back and fourth for the past week and a half now… Still can’t come to a decision. I decided not to go with the Netapp DS4246. I am stuck between the FAS2240, and the DS4243 ($150 USD) now. I am populating 8 of the bays with 12TB Seagate Ironwolves. The product sheets on these storage units support 4TB and 6TB drives respectively. My question is, does that apply only when using the Netapp software? Freenas will be handling the Zpools, so will these 2 products work with 12TB drives? Again, thanks for the advice and knowledge.