Thunderbolt-(Compatible) and Threadripper 3000 - Setting it up

WOW :frowning: sad to hear that, lets see if they are better to respond than Asrock…

Btw did you see the entry for Thunderbolt support in the newest BIOS for TRX40 Creator that i mentioned in my OP ? That is really weird right.

EDIT ! It was on asrocks page 1 hour ago (i sent email earlier today to them at it was still there) now they removed the Thunderbolt text and replaced it with “Adjust PCIe resource allocation.” instead of “improved Thunderbolt compatibillity” !!! That is so shady of Asrock !

h ttps://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/TRX40%20Creator/#BIOS

Other question, have You heard anything about the Realtek audio disappearing (works again after reboot) on TRX40 mobos ? (i know why they had to do that “USB hack” to support audio on the Threadrippers)

Cheers

I would like to help you test thunderbolt with audio interfaces and AMD. Email me if you are interested.

1 Like

Anyone else test their speeds? I’m getting super slow speeds on anything on the TB3 ports. 4 drive spinning RAID 0 is Write 265MB Read 341MB. That same drive on a Mac is 600/700. Also, pulling those drives and putting them inside my machine and connecting via SATA gets the same speed as the Mac TB3 at 600/700. I didn’t see any way to configure anything once installing the driver. Do I have something set wrong somewhere or does the GC-Titan Ridge card suck?

So, figured out the problem. Not sure if this is common knowledge to PC people or not. But in Device Manager you actually have to go to the drive and select Better Performance. Now I’m getting both read and write at about 700MB/s. I found this solution in a Huawei support doc: https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/how-to/detail-troubleshooting/en-us00715414/

1 Like

Ohhhh yeah. The default option is for safe surprise removal. So it doesn’t cache anything which can improve perf quite a bit

1 Like

Also, found a blog post for getting rid of the DCH drivers that has a couple more steps (but very similar to yours). I tried your method and it did not work for me. I stupidly installed the DCH drivers out of desperation to fix my read/write speeds but obviously just made things worse. This blog post fix did the trick: https://plugable.com/2019/04/09/thunderbolt-application-not-in-use-anymore-error-on-windows-check-your-driver-types-and-versions/

1 Like

Hi folks.
I have Asus zenith II with 3970x and I bought Gigabyte Titan ridge card for Thunderbolt.
My goal was put pc to another room and just using Thunderbolt dock in my room. Something like Linus (ltt) did for his computer use.

But thunderbolt is no working correctly for me.
When I using (gb titan ridge on my asus zenith II) any tb3 dock, it’s not working. I just got code 31 on PCI Express Upstream Switch Port.

In linux it does errors too (No bus number available for hot-added bridge).

If i will buy gigabyte trx40 designare with “thunderbolt” support in bios (which asus does not have…) will I get fully functional thunderbolt for my tb3 dock ?

Can somebody help me ?

I believe this to be the case. Aside from driver installation woes we have had several success stories.

I had a few folks with tb on x399 having trouble.

One person I haven’t heard back from but they needed to enable above 4g decoding and disable tb security all together to get their peripheral working (I assume since I suggested that and then they disappeared).

I am using it with an egpu enclosure that has a weirdo controller pcie card in it and it works fine. That also has a USB hub so you should be okay.

Note you’ll need to use the jumper dp cables to go out from your video card back into the TB dock if you want.to use video on your dock as well.

Some here have had success with the dch drivers but I did a screen share with others that lead me to still recommend the legacy drivers. One person had a TB audio controller that would not work without stuttering on the dch drivers. Legacy drivers worked fine however.

Thx Wendell :-),
so I will just buy Gigabyte trx40 designare and trash my Zenith extreme II :frowning:, and I will hope it’s bring fully functional tb3 for me. Orgerwise I will kill my self for trash so much money :smiley:

Hi Wendell,
Hoping to pick your brains.
I have the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare with 3970X/128Gb Ram…
I am struggling to bring the Thunderbolt card alive. All cables plugged in.
But when I Enable TBT in the bios, it just resets itself and disables the setting!
Latest (March) bios.

Am stuck! Any ideas?

disable XMP, enable above 4g decoding, save, reboot,then enable thunderbolt.

Then (if you’ve got good compatibility) you can enable xmp. If all good yo just missed the above 4g decoding option BUT if your ram/soc is a bit marginal, then you must up your soc voltage (not over 1.1! ideally 1.05 or 1.07 in my experience) or up your ram voltage from say 1.35 v to 1.37v.

Hopefully its just above 4g decoding but a lot of the time I cannot enable both settings at the same time. First above4g decoding, reboot, then enable tbt.

But to be safe I always start with xmp disabled because if your ram is weird it can boot once or twice but then not do a cold boot etc etc.

Thanks! To make it work…I had to more the Titan Ridge card to the first x8 slot.

When in the second x8 slot, AND with the nvme add in card in x16 second slot – no go! Hangs at power on, with a D4 bios error.

Do I need to connect the USB 2 and Power Connectors to the card if I am not doing VR or Laptop charging?

Got my Asrock TRX40 Creator working with a Titan-ridge card and Apollo x16 and UAD2 Octco TB Satellite, using both ports (for their own). Even comes back on restart. Using the pin 5/3 jumper and the older firmware. What doesn’t work is a my second Apollo x16 daisy chained to the first x16. Where that setup works flawlessly on an Intel machine or Mac. I can even daisy chain all three units on one TB3 header and it works. Not so in the AMD world

3 Likes

Nice! Post some pics? Probably will help some others doing the same.

I’d love to hear a little more about what you did to get your Titan-ridge card working with your TRX40 Creator. I’m looking to build a TRX40 system but because of my job using Thunderbolt RAIDS I’m nervous about the TB/AMD relationship. From what I read it sounds like the Designare board is the only one that works with TB until I read your post. I’d love to get a smaller board like the Creator if it’s proven, with tweaking, to work. Sounds like maybe the limitation is no daisy-chaining?

I have the MSI Creator TRX40; Is there any way I can get a Thunderbolt 3 card that would allow me to input data via Thunderbolt 3 (and Thunderbolt 3 speeds) to the computer. I have a third-party Thunderbolt 3 device and I want to ingest data from the third-party device “into” my computer. Not sure the GC-TITAN RIDGE would work in this case?

Love the YouTube channel, thank you for all the content!

I am convinced you and your community are the only people that can help answer this questions accurately.

Side note/question: Do you believe Thunderbolt 3 device manufacturers need to be “more clear” with specifying what direction their Thunderbolt 3 device can facilitate? It seems like some devices are capable of outputting data and/or video but are not clear on input capabilities?

This forum is seriously my only hope for accurate responses… I can’t express how grateful I would be for any type of reply.

I should note, the only thing I care about is data coming into the computer via Thunderbolt 3 (type c) connector… I do not care about any video or display output capabilities. It also appears that the MSI Creators does NOT have a THB-C connector? Not sure if that is a deal breaker?

DId this happen?? I’d love a follow up video. I have UAD Apollo Twin and TB3<>TB2 is the only thing stopping me from buying Gigabyte TRX40.

I have an ASRock X570 Creator, which has an integrated Titan Ridge controller and two DisplayPort in ports. I was hoping it would work for full 6K support of the Pro Display XDR, but have found that it will only provide 5K output.

6K output requires two DisplayPort 1.4 streams via the TB3 cable. I have both DP in ports on the motherboard hooked up via DP 1.4 cables to an RTX 2080 Ti. Is there any hope of getting this working? Has anyone gotten 6K on the Pro Display XDR with a non-Apple rig?

This could be as simple as needing really high end do cables since it’s essentially passthrough.

Maybe not though as there are about 3 “steppings” of Titan ridge and specs say dp1.2 only for the original stepping