Thunderbolt-(Compatible) and Threadripper 3000 - Setting it up

I have the MSI Creator TRX40; Is there any way I can get a Thunderbolt 3 card that would allow me to input data via Thunderbolt 3 (and Thunderbolt 3 speeds) to the computer. I have a third-party Thunderbolt 3 device and I want to ingest data from the third-party device “into” my computer. Not sure the GC-TITAN RIDGE would work in this case?

Love the YouTube channel, thank you for all the content!

I am convinced you and your community are the only people that can help answer this questions accurately.

Side note/question: Do you believe Thunderbolt 3 device manufacturers need to be “more clear” with specifying what direction their Thunderbolt 3 device can facilitate? It seems like some devices are capable of outputting data and/or video but are not clear on input capabilities?

This forum is seriously my only hope for accurate responses… I can’t express how grateful I would be for any type of reply.

I should note, the only thing I care about is data coming into the computer via Thunderbolt 3 (type c) connector… I do not care about any video or display output capabilities. It also appears that the MSI Creators does NOT have a THB-C connector? Not sure if that is a deal breaker?

DId this happen?? I’d love a follow up video. I have UAD Apollo Twin and TB3<>TB2 is the only thing stopping me from buying Gigabyte TRX40.

I have an ASRock X570 Creator, which has an integrated Titan Ridge controller and two DisplayPort in ports. I was hoping it would work for full 6K support of the Pro Display XDR, but have found that it will only provide 5K output.

6K output requires two DisplayPort 1.4 streams via the TB3 cable. I have both DP in ports on the motherboard hooked up via DP 1.4 cables to an RTX 2080 Ti. Is there any hope of getting this working? Has anyone gotten 6K on the Pro Display XDR with a non-Apple rig?

This could be as simple as needing really high end do cables since it’s essentially passthrough.

Maybe not though as there are about 3 “steppings” of Titan ridge and specs say dp1.2 only for the original stepping

I’m using the TB3 cable that came with the Pro Display XDR and short DisplayPort 1.4 cables. 6K works using the TB3 cable to my MacBook Pro. I can get 5K HDR working with just one of either DP 1.4 cable plugged in, which requires the throughput of DP 1.4. So, the cables are good and it’s passing through DP 1.4, just not both streams.

man look…I jus need to kno if the Thunderbolt ports work for UAD audio interfaces before I Pull the trigger…So i jus need a Yes or No…

Hi from June 2020!

I’m wondering if this is still an issue?

I have the non-DCH drivers installed but I get the
‘application no longer in use’ message.

I’m planning on buying a Lacie Big6 and connect it to my Threadripper Windows 10 rig. I would configuring the Lacie as a Raid 6. I’m curious if thunderbolt 3 will even give me any benefits from data transfers over just plugging it into USB C 3.1 gen 2 that’s already on the board. I don’t want to install an add on card to my rig if I won’t benefit from it for my needs.

Does the GC-Titan Ridge card strictly need the USB 2.0 dual-port header link? I haven’t seen any other Titan Ridge AICs that demand out of band USB 2.0 connectivity.

Is the THB_C connection just an I2C bus dedicated to Titan Ridge management? What are the specs for this bus?

I plugged everything in, including power.

I’d imagine if you didn’t plug in the PCI power, the first time you plugged something in that demanded power that the AIC couldn’t deliver, it’d cause a power transient that would reboot the whole system.

Uad user here on Mac so my “work around” is using the Mac for TB for Apollo duties, and using Vienna Ensemble Pro 7 networked to run all instances of VSTI"s and Uad plugins… seems like it may be a bit more elegant and stable course…

Just adding my 2 cent here.

I got the Titan ridge (Rev 1.0) connected to Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme (Rev 1.0). I’ve connected pins 3 and 5 on the card. I’m running Manjaro Linux on my desktop box

Doing that allowed me to use my two displayport monitors via a thunderbolt 3 hub (CalDigit USB-C Pro) but not USB. The hub and card didn’t show up in boltctl (but did in lscpi) until I connected the USB header. Now everything works (although I haven’t tested USB throughput but I presume the USB is used to configure the card).

Plug and play seems to work fine. I can swap my monitors and peripherals via the hub with my MacBook Pro and back and everything seems happy.

Hi guys, I am having some issues that have been discuss earlier and it seams that the solutions doesn’t work for me.
I have this titan ridge with an asus sabertooth x99. It shows in the device manager it is install with the latest intel TW legacy drivers and I have the thunderbolt software in the corner who sees the device.
But no plug and play, nothing seems to connect to the card (thunderbolt display on thunderbolt port, mini display to display screen, usb-c key, ect…).
I tried to unplug the power source from the titan ridge and it is still seen normally but no luck with the plug and play.
Now i haven’t try the jumper cable trick on the thunderbolt header cable, since I have a thunderbolt header on my motherboard. Is it still something necessary or do I risk to break my card ?

Yes, it is necessary to jumper the card on a unsupported motherboard without the header.

However, on motherboards with the header, it only works in SPECIFIC slots because the PCH has to communicate with the controller to have it power on when a device is connected. With no devices connected, the default is to keep it powered down. Without BIOS configuration on unsupported boards, this means it’s impossible to wake the controller.

To change settings on the controller itself, you need a fully supported board to change settings and ASUS Prime Intel boards are pretty much the go to for that.

If you lack config settings in your UEFI, you may as well jumper your Titan Ridge controller rather than use the official header. The official header is to write configuration settings to the controller and to power on the controller on demand. If your UEFI can’t configure the controller, jumpering after configuring on an official board is better than using the official header.

WARNING:

If you use the non-DCH drivers, your only functioning port will be port 2 if you are on NVM43 firmware for your Titan Ridge controller. If you updated your Titan Ridge firmware, you have to roll back using a clip-on BIOS chip programmer for better use of the non-DCH drivers.

All Titan Ridge with the SN: 19XXXXXXXXXXX have NVM43 FW. All SN: 18xxxxxxxxx have NVM23 FW.

Learned this the hard way. You will get a Code 31 in Windows if you use NVM43 and the non-DCH drivers if you use the first port of your Titan Ridge controller. There is no other way to revert your firmware other than clipping onto your BIOS chips on your Titan Ridge.

Edit: Apparently there is a flashing utility to revert to NVM23 from someone’s communication with Gigabyte support. It’s in this linked thread. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK: https://egpu.io/forums/postid/87833/

Asrock phantom gaming itx mini tb3 support is built in

Hello everybody - since this seems to be the only place with people caring as much about Thunderbolt as me: Has anyone gotten the Aorus TRX40 Xtreme working with Thunderbolt in this past year? Any word on TB4 via the same header on older boards?

Anyone get the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 card to work with Asus Dark Hero VIII X570 board? I got the card to work with my Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore board, but for some reason, it doesn’t work with the AMD Dark Hero X570 board