Thunderbolt add-in cards not working - Asus Z490A Mobo

I have an Asus Prime Z490A motherboard and Ive tried a couple different TBT3 cards. This is to connect to a TBT3 interface for music production. The device is indeed TB3 and it is a Focusrite Red 16line.

The first AIC I used is Asus ThunderboltEX 3 - and although it took several tries for the drivers to install (either way just a quick message saying Installing Drivers and then just disappears), the drivers are installed for the card and I have all the relevant entries in DM and the Sys IRQ list. I think I installed the driver from the website not the disc.

This Asus card has the 14-1 pin connection to the motherboard which has the same header. It’s technically the only TBT card that is supposed to work with this Mobo.

The TBT Controller software from Intel shows the two ports. But shows no device attached when I have the Red interface turned on and plugged in with a TBT3 cable (it is).

I also tried the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0 and my system doesn’t see it AT ALL. Driver install does nothing. Of course I knew going in that I would have to cable mod the TBT connector - and I believe I did that correctly - this mod can be found in a few forums including this one - which basically shorts out two of the pins on the 5 pin connector that would normally go into the mobo.

I have every conceivable TBT setting turned on in the BIOS.

Going back to the Asus card, which at least shows up in my system - and seems like everything is a go.

I’ve seen that perhaps both of these cards require a PCIex4 slot. All my slots say PCIex16. The third one is listed as having x4 and x8 capabilities. But I don’t know how that works. I was hoping the BIOS would have a setting to force a PCI lane into the speed I select. All I could find was changing the Gen1, Gen2, Gen3

Can I find a way to determine that my PCI slot can run at 4x.
And finally the one thing I haven’t tried is plug in the PCI power connectors to the card. I don’t believe I need it - I mean maybe the card needs more power. The interface has its own power plug. I would be afraid of damaging it.

I don’t have any other TBT3 devices to test with it. But I do have another system.

Any thoughts or help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.