Thrift Store 90's Mechanical Keyboard, $5

A small backstory as to how I came upon this keyboard. Me and my friends, having a free period, decided to go to a thrift store due to very little else to do in my small town, and the fact that we had never been in one before. Being into computers, I decided to go to the electronics section and look for a keyboard for my brother. I was passing my hand over all the dell keyboards and other horrible membrane keyboards, when I passed my fingers over a yellow, blue and red childrens keyboard. I felt a smooth travel from the key, and a satisfying click at the end of the travel. I've never felt a mechanical keyboard before, but based on what I've seen on the interwebs, I immediately associated this with the satisfying feeling of a mechanical keyboard I hear so much about. It felt very different from even the best membrane keyboards I've felt.

Anyways, is this really a mechanical keyboard? It seems to be from the 90s, and judging from the look of the switch, it isn't membrane. And only $5!! I'm too cheap to buy a good mechanical keyboard, so is this worth possibly customizing to not look so ridiculous? It seems like I have Ronald McDonald on my desk.

1 Like

they started something they couldn't finish with the "x is for X" key

LITTLE TIKES KIDBOARD MODEL 1721

3 Likes

Any information on the type of plug it is? Doesn't fit in my ps/2 port.

The only information I could find is on http://www.cnet.com/products/little-tikes-kidboard-ps2-f-win-95-98-w-kidboard-coach-sw/user-reviews/
It's a PS/2. That's a lucky find, I myself also found an old Acer mechanical, sporting knockoff ALPS switches over a plastic membrane. Maybe you could mod the case because that thing looks like something Divo the gift dragon spat out. Again, nice find.

DEFINITELY mod that! I found an old IBM KB9910 that was in a sorry state and gave it a touch up/paint job haha

Although a long shot, you could try and find some replacement key caps for those particular switches. But again, seems like it might be hard to find for such a beast of a keyboard such as the little tike haha

Show us this plug that doesn't fit, are you sure? I cant see an AT version

Info on the switch: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCM_White

Also point out what connection.

check out the matching mouse

That is a show stopper. I would get it converted to USB then proudly display it as is. Please don't mod the physical appearance of that masterpiece.

You could paint it. I wonder if pulling all of the guts out of it and 3D printing a new casing for it would be practical. You would have to design it yourself, but then you can make it personal. Might make for an interesting project. Throw an Arduino in it for lighting effects.

submit it to the Smithsonian

Wow, haven't been on in a while but I see I got quite a few responses. Well after some research, and idk if it was mentioned in that youtube vid, the cable is a ADB connector. Made for Apple back in the day. The only adapter I could find costs $40+! Not worth it at the moment, so if you guys have any other suggestions, I'll hear you out greatfully.

Also, sorry for the super late response lol. School...

I so did not notice the alt keys.

Keep it lying around in case you find a G3

sell it

strip it for switches

make your own converter