Threadripper torque wrench not popping

Have a Foxconn socket on my trx40 board. Supposedly, those are less pleasant to work with than the Lotes. From all of the videos I’ve watched the torque wrench is supposed to pop and make a clicky sound when the proper tension is reached. However, I’m really cranking it down, and still don’t hear any sound, besides the screw making a noise.

I got to the point where threading moved the board, and even had the screw stop, one attempt, unless I applied significantly more force. Did not do that out of fear of breaking the socket.

How am I supposed to do this if the wrench does not pop?

Found a dead board I could practice on, but a bit pricey. I would love to have a feel of the amount of force required before breaking my expensive motherboard. Guessing I won’t be able to rma, even if the Foxconn has issues. Is there a cheaper means of getting a screw to practice on?

I’d try getting another wrench first. Some quick googling shows that the torque spec on the wrench is 1.6 newton-meters, or about 14ish inch-pounds. I dunno how common torx driver wrenches are of that spec, but I guess you could contact AMD support and ask for a new one if needed.

1 Like

nope…just RMA it…
if you break the socket or the board in any way…you did it…so…

Getting a replacement wrench would cost less, than entertain fiddling with a spent TR board

Yeah, there’s a lot of variables for what’s broken. Either the wrench is defective, the socket mounting mechanism is defective, or everything works properly and it’s safe to screw that extra quarter turn.

Hopefully, AMD will just send me a new wrench or let me send mine to them to confirm it works properly.

I hope AMD eventually comes up with a new mounting mechanism that is less nerve wrecking.

If the threads on the retention bracket were messed up or something the wrench would still be operating correctly once it reached the set amount of torque. The screws just wouldn’t thread all in the way in, so it’d be kind of the opposite of what you’re describing.

Probably best not to go nuts with it though, and you don’t need to really crank it down. 1.5nm isn’t really that much force. That’s why I wasn’t sure how doable it would be to get a different wrench other than the one supplied by AMD. In theory you could fasten it down with any T20 torx screwdriver, but most torque wrenches you can buy don’t go that low.

Just going by this. There’s a lot of potential variables here.

Do you have something with a T20 bolt to try the torque wrench with? Some of my pots/pans/coffee equipment in my kitchen have a T20 which I tested my Threadripper torque wrenches with first (doesn’t need much torque at all).

They don’t really ‘click’ when the torque is met, at least not the ones I have - they give way at the torque spec, then click when you release them.

I could go buy a T20 from homedepot, and drop it in a vice to test. Is there something ready made I could buy to test screwing it in?

You can just hold the end with pliers, or strongly held/tangled in a kitchen towel and see if it clicks, if it doesn’t, oh well.

You don’t have to be super accurate either.

1.6Nm is roughly 1.6kg of weight pressing on a 10cm lever, so if you have something around the kitchen, around 3.2kg that’s 10cm wide that you can lift with your thumb from one end, and also your index finger knuckle/sideways as sort of a reference, that should give you a rough feel how much force you need to exert on the wrench.

The wrench is not clicking when I hold it in a pair of pliers. It does eventually slip and turn, though.

I just spoke to someone at Microcenter, and he said to turn till you have to brace against the case to turn more. Going to purchase a new torque wrench or rma this one just to be safe. Have to wait on cleaning out my radiators anyways.

My wrench felt the same initially. It was a bit scary actually. I thought for sure i’d bent pins… so I took my wrench (bought used) and ‘loosened it up’ by cranking it back and forth several times on a mountain bike’s disc brake rotor bolt (same head). This allowed me to trust the feel and make sure it was behaving consistently before i took it to my Asus MoBo. It worked fine… cpu booted fine… all good. The socket is stronger than you think… and the wrench should work but practicing on something else is a good idea.

…also it’s good to carefully slowly counter rotate until you feel the threads set/click in line before you start tightening. That ensures you don’t cross thread it or put too much downward pressure on the motherboard while trying to get the threads to seat.

Don’t you mean “Gut Wrenching”

2 Likes

I dunno. I’ve wrecked nerves before, and having torque wrenches involved in that seems strangely appropriate.

All a bit confusing. So, on YouTube everyone mentions a click; but, everyone I’ve spoken to that’s installed a ton of these claims the wrench just stops turning more, unless you force it, once you hit the right tightness. No click involved. Feels like there has to have been a better means of implementing this with springs.

Yeah I’m not sure I’d call it a click. As you fasten down the screws it’ll build up tension, and then there will be a transition point where the handle begins to turn independently of the bit. That’s when you stop.

If you have an adjustable torque wrench (In america it’s common for gun owners often have a 10 to 65 inch-pound “fat wrench” for properly torquing scope ring screws and other things) or something like it, from searching online it appears that the torque is 1.5 newton meters or 13.3 in-lb of torque. Do NOT confuse foot-pounds with inch-pounds.

1 Like

Yeah, I did not notice the handle turning independent of the bit.

Meaning, it wasn’t happening at all, or it was happening and you didn’t notice? That would be something difficult to see in the videos.