Threadripper Pro 5975WX Linux workstation on the Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI

After breaking my computer over Christmas by being very good at computers I had to build a new one.

• Processor: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5975WX
  • Motherboard: Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI
  • Memory: Kingston KSM32RS4/32HCR (8x, ECC)
  • GPU1: Sapphire NITRO+ AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
  • GPU2: Sapphire TOXIC AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT Air Cooled
  • Storage: Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB (4x)
  • Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
  • Power supply: Corsair AX1600i
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3
  • Case fans: Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
  • Case fans: Noctua NF-A14 PWM

I wrote a full build log on my blog here: Build log: Threadripper Pro 5975WX Linux workstation on the Asus Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI – Interesting things

The post has some troubleshooting I did on the asus board as well as how to use the IPMI properly.

I hope you’ll enjoy reading the blog post as much as I enjoyed building the computer!

1 Like

Nice setup!!!

I use some of the same equipment: motherboard, threadipper pro processor—a fantastic foundation to play with for an extremely long time.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Did you run into any of the issues I ran into?

Greetings

One issue after about a month of running the computer. I could not install the latest BIOS for the Asus WRX motherboard. I updated the BIOS, and the updated BIOS would not allow the PC to boot. Via Asus online chat, Asus told me to reload the existing BIOS. From there, Asus instructed us to wait for the next BIOS release. It was not until about five days ago I updated the BIOS. This latest BIOS update - no issues.

Personally, I prefer liquid cooling over fan/air cooling. Running complete air on the GPU and CPU turned the PC into a smaller furnace. I started off with a single 3090 with a factor fan - way too hot. Then I went to a GPU and CPU AIOs, which was better but still hot.

So I pulled everything and inserted my first complete cooling system. Now personally, I can’t do air-cool again. I am spoiled. I have my fans set to 600 rpm and get fantastic temps for the GPU and CPU at full load. What I learned in liquid cooling - having a solid water pump will get you a long way over having 1000 fans and radiators. I use the EK-Dual D5 pump - a fantastic product.

I started off with a single 3090 and went to a dual 3090. From there, I realized I lost 90% of my PCI slots due to the water cooling on the water blocks active front and rear blocking all the other PCI slots. I could not take it, so I pulled the 3090’s and inserted a PNY professional card with the EK Pro water block. By far one of the best water blocks, I have seen. Now I regained all my PC lanes for anything else that comes up.

The system is solid. And the ONLY thing I have found to be an issue. Why do motherboard companies not have a smaller M-ATX motherboard to support this fantastic processor? Knowing now what I know, I would not have purchased such a large case - Phantek Elite / Corsair 1000D. Extraordinary cases, but too big and bulky for me. Right now working to insert the complete system in a more minor case, something I could actually move if I have to. When the time comes, I will pull the system out of the case, but I will leave it there the complete cooling system for the next owner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.