Threadripper Pro 5975WX Build

Thanks! I was wondering about that as warranty is from the seller when it comes to tray cpus.

Iā€™m happy to be contradicted on this, but Iā€™ve never seen a warranty change conditions based on the packaging it arrives in. If you RMA it in a regular envelope with no protection, maybe, but I would think a tray and layers of protection would be fine.

That said, I hope I never have to deal with that situation. Iā€™ve only had one RMA and that was an ASUS Mobo which turned out to be unnecessary as the new one presented the same issue.

xwraith is referring to ā€œtrayā€ or ā€œOEMā€ cpus which are typically NOT eligible for warranty. Best explained by this snippet from an article:

As far as quality and manufacturing process goes, there is no difference in boxed and tray processors. Manufacturers produce the two types of processors in the same plants and submit them all to the same quality assurance testing. However, there are some warranty and support differences with the two types of processors that you must consider before buying. Since AMD and Intel produce tray processors with the intent of selling them to OEMs, they place strict limits on warranty periods. In most cases, tray processors come with little or no warranty ā€“ regardless of where you buy them. If you are lucky enough to get a warranty with a tray processor, the seller usually limits it to a week or two. Most sellers do test tray processors before selling them, though. After the seller test them and determines they are good, you generally assume all liability in their handling and installation. In addition, manufacturers and sellers ordinarily do not provide free tech support for tray processers. Conversely, manufacturers usually offer one- to five-year warranty periods on retail-boxed processors and offer free tech support to end users in many cases.

1 Like

Oof.

No - they are basically brown boxā€¦ well, without the box either! LOL They arrive in static bags but well packedā€¦ mine arrived Monday. It is so zippyā€¦ love it!

@zzsf or @bbe have either tried to see if Ubuntuā€™s issues with the Threadripper Pro have been fixed. I am thinking of a new build; I canā€™t decide between a Threadripper Pro or EPYC. Since there is very little difference between the two, I am sure both suffer from the same Ubuntu issues.

Yeah I may be buying parts over time so important that if CPU has issues I can do a return (to seller or under AMD warranty)

@Shadowbane Havenā€™t tried, was waiting for 22.04.1 which was just released so will try to find some time. Will boot up a USB live instance and see if it detects everything. I feel it might also be motherboard/bios specific so might just impact the Asus board.

Speaking of the board and RMAs, the board or PSU actually already failed (random power off and then loud pop when starting up again)ā€¦ Was worried it took the CPU as well and hoping the warranty was valid since it was eBay and shipped from China (sealed retail box though). But after a board swap everything is up and running again.

1 Like

I similarly destroyed my old build; I keep my desktops under my desk and wear my keys around my neck. So once I decided to clean under my desk, I lay down on the floor and crawled under it; I pulled my computer toward my bed so I would reach behind it to remove the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Unfortunately, at that moment, my keys touched the power supply, and of course, there was a vast spark, a loud popping noise, and that great smell of fried electronics. $5000 of equipment might be destroyed. I just went ahead and purchased a new computer.

Just tried ubuntu 22.04.1 live and having the same missing usb, sata, and nvme issues.

Iā€™m running Debian 11.4 with backports enabled on the Asus WRX80 Sage motherboard with the latest bios and firmware installed and I donā€™t have any issues with nvme, usb, sata.

The only issue I currently have is that the mellanox ofed drivers for the mellanox 25GbE card donā€™t compile for kernel 5.18 and I had to pin the kernel version to 5.16.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

1 Like

Thanks, @gysi, for posting your result on how Debian behaves on your motherboard.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.