Threadripper pro 3975WX in 2024

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buying a 3975 WX (brand new) + Asrock WRX80 R1 (brand new as well) + 128GB of ECC RDIMM 3200 MHz (refurbished) for ~ 1500$.
My question is simple: is it a bad idea in 2024?

I am not a programmer / gamedev / artist, I am just an enthusiast who wants to virtualize his computing experience. My plan for such machine would be to have 2 VMs running constantly and a 3rd “hot swappable VM” depending on what I need:
constant VMs:

• TrueNAS for backing up a NAS on the new machine
  • Linux for day to day internet browsing and gaming

hot swappable VMs:

• another Linux VM for a 2 gamer 1 CPU setup
  • an offline Windows 10 VM for Adobe software (I have purchased CS6 in 2013 so I’ll keep using it until the day I die!)
  • a Windows 11 VM for whatever doesn’t work on Linux (I am thinking about you VR headset…)
  • and many more

I currently only have a single gaming capable GPU (7800XT) so I would also need to buy another GPU down the line.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

I did go the route as you a year ago, it’s working, it’s fun, having all that pcie lanes to play is great, performance is less than what you could get for the same price with consumer hardware but it’s adequate.

The only thing that could make me go back is the very high idle power consumption.

1 Like