Threadripper Clock Speeds

Hi all. I’m having a bit of difficulty with my 1950x. Whenever I render my scene, my clock speeds are reduced to 2.30GHz, but in idle it hovers at ~4.00GHz, as it should. I heard that it might be the temperatures, but it steadies at 65c under load, which doesn’t seem bad at all considering the circumstances.

I have my volts set to 1.3, and I also have high performance set in the Windows power settings. Also, I was told that there’s a feature built in the CPU to under-clock it if the power usage reaches past 180 watts. I’m not sure if that’s totally accurate, but if it’s true, apparently I can disable it from doing that (not sure how).

Any help regarding this issue would greatly appreciate it! it would suck to spend this much money on a CPU, only having it to render at 2.30GHz haha xD.

• Vertex Hero

What does it do with volts on auto and LLC set at 3 or 4?

1 Like

I have the volts set manually to 1.3, because in auto it peaks to 1.5+ and my system shuts on/off with 4x sticks of ram in quad channel mode, so I have to revert to duel if I have it in auto. Also apologies, but what is LLC? Not very good at remembering abbreviations :grimacing::sweat_smile:

Load line calibration as far as I know. Basically an automated offset to compensate for lost power through lesser efficiency of the VRM at high loads.

Could you list the full specs of your system including cooler and PSU?

Oh okay, then I’m not sure what my LLC is. How do I find out in the BIOS?

My specs are as follows:

• CPU = Threadripper 1950x
  • MOTHERBOARD = Asus Prime X399-A
  • GPU = MSI GTX 980ti
  • RAM = Corsair Vengeance 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • OS/STORAGE = Samsung 970 PRO
  • CPU COOLING = Enermax LIQTECH 360mm AIO
  • POWER = EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ Gold 850W

Not sure to be honest, never had to deal with that so far.
Also I’m not on TR, just “poor people Ryzen”. :wink:

Spikes to 1.5V are not even that bad to be honest. If it stays there or close to it under load , that would be not good.

Try to reset the BIOS to default and disable XMP (D.O.C.P.).
Make sure you are on the most current version of the BIOS.
If not -> Update.

Then run your render again.

If that is fine, turn D.O.C.P. back on and try again.

I’ve reset the BIOS, and updated it not to long ago. D.O.C.P. mode doesn’t seem to make much of a difference either.

Well, shit.

2.3GHz seems very specific and the more I think about it 65°C seems high for that clockspeed under water.

Something is off…

Any chance it’s the VRM thermals?

Have you tried to renew the thermalpaste on the CPU? Maybe a tiny bubble or something is screwing with the cooling?

@noenken is right, 2.3Ghz on water should not be at 65Celsius at all…

Have you tried to get a Air Cooler just for comparison?

May be the protective plastic foil on the CPU block.

GNs numbers:

1 Like

IIRC 1.3v is quite low for Threadripper. Most overclock reviews I see are running much closer to 1.4v.

Temperature may be in line with that cooler according to Gamers Nexus though when they reviewed it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3119-360-vs-240-for-threadripper-enermax-liqtech-vs-noctua

Depends on your ambient temperature of course.

That could be it actually. :rofl:

These are delta values though. If we assume 20°C ambient that means GN is seeing ~66-70°C, which is what the OP is getting.

Although at 2.3GHz that’s probably high.

The temps are indeed okay. But not for the clocks.
Hands the question: Where is the problem with the cooling?
My guess is on heatspreader to coldplate.

It would be bizarre to see such massive throttling at such a low temperature though (I think).

Depends, if spikes are hitting max temp the CPU will hit the brakes further and further, regardless of what some software is reporting.

Bulldozer and Excavator had a shutoff temp of 75°C (iirc)
So Zen throtteling at 60ish is to be expected (just like Nvidia GPUs start reducing clocks when they hit 60).

These made me think of a post by AnandTech that showed TR Power Draw increasing by about 30% with 3200 MHz RAM. I am not experienced enough to speak on this, but maybe the memory controller and Inifinty Fabric have something to do with it???

I’m going to do that this morning, maybe I got a faulty install. Happens to the best of us.

Lol, yeah I made sure any plastic packaging was taken off.

Yeah, after looking at those numbers, something is defenintly off.

2 Likes