Threadripper BUILD. New to Linux. Lots of questions

Planning a new machine around Threadripper. It will be mainly used for Content Creation. Spending lots of time in premiere pro and after effects. Aside from content creation I work in IT. I want to learn more about networking and Linux and move on from the basic Help desk.

Questions

1. What’s the best OS to learn Linux on.? I’ve never used Linux a day n my life. I’d like to install a vm to mess around in.
  2. Is it better host VMs on separate drives?
  3. Best Cooing for tr4? Multiple reviews from both Amzn and PcPartPicker say enermax’s cooler fails and leaks

Doesn’t really matter which one you pick, Ubuntu is a good place to start, lots of guides and documentation.

Noctua U14S TR4 is an excellent choice.

1 Like

Fedora, RHEL, Opensuse, Centos, are distros that are used in the networking side of IT. Ubuntu as well in some places, I guess.

With RHEL,centos, you can even get a some sort of network certification. @IdecEddy is learning to get his… Or maybe you can still get the cert, without using those distro’s. I dunno.

This one’s a bit of bugbear. None of them are that great

Ubuntu family:
(+) sort of works out of the box some of the time
(+) very large community
(–) fragile outside of basic mainstream use cases
(–) badly documented downstream changes
(–) most in the community aren’t particularly knowledgeable or helpful (matters because upstream documentation is useless on ubuntu, so best effort support is all you really have)

Examples: Ubuntu, Elementary, Mint, KxStudio

Good choice if you want to get up and running without thinking about it, bad choice if you want to learn how linux works instead of how to trick ubuntu into working.

RHEL Family:
(+) documentation is accurate and actually makes sense
(+) They set the standards for most cert and production related practices, so learning their flavors can help with learning ‘employable’ linux
(+) stable and functional (outside of fedora which is essentially free QA for the next RHEL)
(+) Excellent commercial software support in 3d, vfx, CAD, dataviz, etc.
(–) some quirks make it less flexible than community distributions
(–) Their ‘bleeding edge’ releases are breaky, essentially just a testbed for RHEL
(–) less outwardly “user friendly” than ubuntu, CLI necessary much sooner.
(–) Stable versions aren’t the most up to date out of the box, good for workstations and servers, not so much for home desktops

Examples: Centos, ROSA, Fedora, RHEL

Probably the best for “learning linux” in a way that will be useful to you in a work setting, not necessarily the best desktop OS in general

Solus:
(+) Incredibly good user experience out of the box
(+) software up to date
(+) devs hyper focused on improving UX for desktop users, gaming, etc.
(+) ‘just works’ tools that actually just work.
(+) very involved and knowledgeable best effort community support
(–) nonstandard package manager
(–) hard to find third party repos
(–) anachronisms like budgie and raven make for a better desktop experience, but prepare the user for the weirdness of linux poorly

This is an excellent desktop OS, but it gets out of your way so much that you probably won’t learn anything fast, because it doesn’t break nearly as often as other “user friendly” distros.

"Friendly" Arch/Gentoo Spinoffs:
(+) working installer, GUI out of the box
(+) excellent software support, widest range of working available packages
(+) always up to date
(+) very customizeable
(+) excellent documentation (except manjaro lol)
(–) without a foundational knowledge of linux systems you may run into problems you won’t know how to fix
(–) mainline community best effort support is hostile to these spinoffs because they’re “cheating”
(–) some of them (manjaro again lol) change things down stream without good documentation or reasoning behind the changes, making matters worse
(–) first days will be somewhat trial by fire despite the friendly face
(–) if you pick one that makes a bunch of downstream design changes you lose most of the benefits of this style of distribution (see bad examples)

Examples: Antergos, Anarchy, Sabayon, Netrunner, Redcore, CloverOS

Bad Examples: Manjaro, Chakra

These offer a lot of interesting choice and modularity without being completely impenetrable to newcomers, but you have to be careful to read documentation on the changes you do, and pick a distro as “stock” as possible to start.

Vanilla Arch/Gentoo:
(+) all the benefits discussed above
(+) community support becomes friendly
(–) varying levels of completely impenetrable for newcomers to install and get running.

Don’t jump in on these, but don’t rule them out later on either. They’re definitely the best VFIO distros.

There’s also a bunch of other weird niche ones that aren’t really worth discussing outside using linux as a hobby.

Examples: Void, Nix, Puppy, Sourcemage

might be getting ahead of yourself there. You’re definitely going to need to be careful about bios versions and know how to patch the linux kernel to get this working on thread ripper. Start there.

8 Likes

That was amazing.

1 Like

It helps to be fair and balanced when you hate them all equally

2 Likes

^ Since you are not a fan, in regards to learning about networking, would you have any recommendation for the BSDs? In general the BDSs have a better network stack compared to GNU/Linux combos out there.

I think you presented a fair overview of strengths and weeknesses though.

I’d say just go with freebsd, as it’s the only one that gets any real play any more in terms of appliance and application specific usage.

Learn about PF/IPFW, Jails, and you’re mostly there.

I believe you know this already but it seems prudent to make sure: Premiere Pro/AfterEffects/Adobe products only run on Windows.

Knowing that, are you looking to run a Linux machine with a Windows VM or a Windows machine with a Linux VM?

Responding to Q2:
Wendell of L1T is fond of separate drives for some VMs but it is not necessary, and is prohibitively expensive if you have 4 or more. Wendell typically has a Windows VM on a separate drive for gaming and probably other stuff as well.

one of the primary things keeping new users away from linux is the fact they want to run windows programs on linux and cant without a good understanding of concepts of VM.
while emulators do work for some programs they don’t work for all of them.
its often difficult to explain to them that certain programs require access to windows resources to run.
back when i ran xandros linux wine use a limited form of vm called bottles
and to run a windows program you needed to select the correct compatibility bottle to run them and even then it was an iffy proposition.

But I had little use for windows programs then and still now, But I do run some specialty dos programs and games using dosemu

(ha ha! you should have seen the look on the on the plant engineers face when I made a usb adapter and used linux to program a moore thermocouple controller (( a piece of equipment made before windows was even a wet dream))

as a matter of fact I think i still have that old dos program somewhere around the shop files

dont forget debian, and knoppix
not exactly user friendly but metric butt loads of power in the things you can do.
For instance linux cnc ubuntu based and rich with cad and cnc control options.
for those who are into it lego knoppix is full of links for designing and controlling leggo constructed automated robotics.
not to mention many of the medical based distros out there for bio-informatics, medical imaging
knoppix itself tends to be a bit strange until you get used to it.
Debian has a n extremely large support base but can be difficult for users to learn.

gentoo is a good distro but is extremely difficult for a new user to understand what and how to install. as the kernel is compiled on their machine at the time they install it its widely joked about that its far easier to fook up then it is to install.
that being said it is one of the best distros around to give you complete control of what you want installed and how you want to configure it.
you can go for the generic install and will have a decent distro but you wont learn much about how it operates.

choice of distro? that depends on what you want to do with it.
distrowatch is a good source of information and you can get a summary of what the distro does and list of recent changes.
research linux alternatives to windows software and you can find a lot.

If ever there was a Swiss Army Knife of Linux, it’s Knoppix! Great stuff!!! It will run on just about any hardware, too.

yep and my favorite was Morpheus knoppix “take the red pill”

1 Like

No one recommends HannaMontanaLinux any more. Where did it all go wrong?
http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/index.html

1 Like

a lot of oddball distros came out and some never even went to market
when i first started in linux there was a distro news event of a developing distro that never was released called Beernix
Damn I wanted that one! :drooling_face:
the guy was a brew master and was going to put his recipes in it!

while some distros were put out there with the mistaken idea that they would be very popular only to find dismally large amount of lack of interest.

one of my interests is finding a distro or respin customized for fire/ems stations so we can get away from the windows problems.
I may eventually do a respin myself if i get the time