Threadripper Build, $935 USD, 256GB(64GB 2Rx4) @3200 or 128GB(16GBx8) @3600, Linux Distro?

Hello, I have a quick question about RAM and if (or what) value/compatibility issues there might be if switching.

I am thinking to swap out what I have;

G.Skill 128GB(16GBx8) DDR4@3600 C16 (G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZN)
for
SK Hynix 256GB(64GB 2Rx4) ECC rDIMM DDR4@3200 CL22 ( HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN)

Use Case: 3D work (i.e. Simulation/FX, CPU/GPU rendering, photogrammetry, modelling, animation, etc.)

Programs: Houdini, C4D, Blender, Maya, Modo, etc.
OS: Windows 11 (unsure what Linux distro is best for seamless software integration),

If anyone has some opinions on the give and take that comes with the switch, it would be much appreciated. Personally, I am more worried that switching kits might be slower with immediate function/responsiveness, and I am unsure if this specific 256GB kit would be worth it.

The price for the SKHynix is around 937USD (but non-refundable), which I thought was a good price(maybe, lol is it?) I can’t seem to find much discussion about using 64GBx1 2R sticks in a non-server system/threadripper.

I think they would be fine (minimal difference for my application?) but since they are nonrefundable, I’d rather ask for expert input, in case there is something I clearly don’t know or I am obviously blanking on.

Any suggestions, comments, opinions are welcome, thanks
PS: Also any suggestions on a good Linux distro for 3d/2d work would be appreciated.

System SPECS:

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
MOBO: Gigabyte TRX40 DESIGNARE(rev. 1.0) Current/ Temporary MOBO until I can get my Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0) back.
RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C16-16GTZN x8
HDD: Sabrent Rocket Q 4TB x2 Raid0
GFX: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO 24G RTX3090 x2 NVLINK + ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMPx2 (or AMD 6900XTx2)
PSU: ThermalTake Toughpower TF1 1550W (1550FNFATJ-1 PS1053) + SilverStone 1500W 80PLUS TITANIUM (SST-ST1500-TI)

Nice setup, I am not sure about the 64GB sticks but I think they will work.
I have 128GB in 4 sticks with Mushkin 3600Mhz Ram and it runs great. Technically you could do 8 sticks of the same memory, although I am not sure about the memory speed compatability.

If your simulation is mission critical, going for ECC RAM makes sense.

I’m not sure Threadripper 3000 supports RDimms. I may be wrong, but I thought you need threadripper pro to use RDIMMS, Check the motherboard QVL.

1 Like

Motherboard only supports 32 GB DIMM slots, so the 64 GB sticks would just be dead silicon in your use case.

Threadripper non-Pro doesn’t support RDIMMs only UDIMMs. Which is probably why there is not much discussion around those.

2 Likes

Thanks

Yes, thanks for the help. I checked the QVL but should have realized there is no support for RDIMMS with non “Pro” Threadrippers :face_with_spiral_eyes: duh. Thanks eh.

Not only that but going from 8 sticks to 4 would further reduce performance because they’d be losing ranks
If 8x32 can still do 3200 then that’s the way to go, threadripper won’t support more than 256 anyway so might as well fill the slots for more ranks

Check threads that I’ve made recently about going from 128 GB → 256 GB on this exact platform. I had almost identical RAM that you have except its speed.

Bottom line - check QVL, if the RAM you bought is not on the list run full (at least 8 passes) of memtest86 before you boot the OS.

I went from 128GB 3200Mhz → 256GB 3600Mhz.
It turned out the motherboard didn’t liked RAM of this size at 3600 and it ended with borked OS due to memory corruption.
Had to do full OS reinstall and downclock RAM to 3200Mhz. So far, after couple days everything seems fine.

But I don’t run ECC. I do mostly 3D in Blender so nothing mission critical.
As for potential slowdowns I can’t say. Never run ECC and in the end I swaped one 3200 kit for another.

Regarding Distro its really hard to tell. Distros mostly differ when it comes to package manager, and you didn’t say if you have any previous Linux experience.

If you are beginner you can start from Ubuntu as it is certified for a lot of things.
I’ve run Debian in the past and now switched to more barebone version of it called Devuan.
Ubuntu is Debian derivative too, so after running the first one you will feel familiar with the second.

2 Likes

I agree, distros just depend on what packages you want really…
I’ve used Mint (Mate Version), Ubuntu, Fedora, CentOS, PCLinuxOS, Lubuntu, Slackware, SUSE, Manjaro, Arch.

Personally Mint, Ubuntu & Fedora are the easiest to use. Ubuntu Mate or Mint Mate are the most friendly to me since I grew up using Gnome2.
Slackware, PCLinuxOS, Arch are all complicated with their packages.
SUSE is somewhere in the center.
CentOS is really easy but not really great for a desktop experience.
Lubuntu is just Ubuntu again with another desktop.

Thanks, there is no rdimm support so I will stick with what I have until i see something applicable in the future.

Good to know, thank you for letting me know your experiences.

Thanks its not my first time with linux, I have been through various distros (just never for 3d work.)

So for the 3d software I listed you personally prefer using the above, ie mint, etc ?

I really don’t know which has the overall best compatibility/updates/community when it comes to trouble shooting issues with the above 3d software.

I understand there generally is always away to get anything to work, just looking for distros with a healthy support from developers or communities regarding their 3d software.

I’d play safe to 128 and 3200… Pushing those kind of numbers [256/3600], would likely give the processor a major headache [NOT including, how unruly your board would be]

I run 128GB & 3600

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.