Threadripper animation workstation on a windows VM?

Hi everyone,

This might be a dumb idea but I didn’t inow who to ask. I’ll currently building a threadripper 3960x workstation with 128gb of ram for 2D/3D animation and video editing. I’ve always been in windows for obvious reasons, but the last few months Ive been binging the videos on the channel and I’ve been taking steps to slowly move my mail, cloud and things like that to personal servers, vpns and de-googling myself

For my workstation I wanted to use windows enterprise to avoid the telemetry issues without breaking the system, but then I thought about the limited support I would have for a lot of the applications I use for my work that maybe wouldn’t run on enterprise but pro

So for browsing I was thinkin on using a vm with linux and a vpn with clipboard enable to make easier the transfer of files and so on.

But yeah given the system is running in windows that does sounds like a dumb idea.

So… I was evaluating the option of running windows in a vm itself. Another stupid idea, I imagine this will impact performance a lot.

Would this have to be a vm on linux? A docker? I’m not very knowledgeable on this stuff but I could look for instructions if I’m pointed in the right direction

I’m starting to think that maybe I should just have a second machine with linux running next to this one and share files with a shared folder on a local network and use a kvm for more convenience… even if I don’t have clipboard

Sorry if this is a dumb request. My work computer has been my personal computer for a while and I’m just wanting to slowly take steps in the right direction in regards to privacy and keeping some of the usability for my art workflow.

What are my alternatives?

I’m a little bit confused about what exact question is about.
Personally i’m running manjaro host and windows kvm/quemu. Alghtou my workload is microchip studios plus minor windows program. So i dont have anything super intensive for windows vm.
I heard that you can have gpu passthrough for your kvm, but it require one whole gpu card for that. So you have to have one spare for that.
Also never did any sound on vm.
With kvm you can connect easly pendrive and by connecting and disconnecting you can exchamge files. Slow but i don’t know any other way.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.