Threadripper 7960x hot ccd1

Hello Everyone! :slight_smile:

I have recently built a 7960x threadripper workstation as an acoustic modeling computer (SoundPLAN) and I am trying to figure out why hits temperatures around 99 degrees in HWinfo64 within 20seconds of starting cinebench R24? Could the waterblock be two small for the IHS? I have re-pasted it 3 times. Any help would be much appreciated.

Build specs are as follows:

AMD 7960x Threadripper
Kraken 360 AIO
Define 7 XL
Asus Pro WS TRX50-SAGE WIFI
64GB G.Skill Zeta R5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 R-DIMM Quad Kit
MSI Suprim X RTX 3070 Ti
500G Samsaung Evo Plus NVME
Seasonic 1000W Ti

I think it’s unlikely to be a waterblock size issue. It’s only the 96-core model that AMD specifically mentions as needing full coverage. Also, the four active CCDs on the 7960X should all be the same distance from the center so it’s unusual that only one of them would overheat.

When you remounted the cooler, were you able to try rotating it into different positions? I wonder if maybe part of the waterblock is either not making solid contact or otherwise is not cooling effectively.

1 Like

I see three possible culprits:

• issue with the cooler (waterblock)
  • issue with the CPU
  • issue with the install

Start with validating install first. It would be the cheapest solution. However this is the most unlikely, too (airbubble applying paste?).

Next, I’d check the cooling. Again, this is cheaper than the alternative.
Make sure to finish troubleshooting in time to return the CPU/within warranty.

1 Like

So I checked the mounting and pasting I was 100% it was okay. I couldn’t feel any vibration from the pump (placing my hand on it) however the bios had 1300RPM. However I am not sure if that was true or not. Anyways, I downloaded the NZXT CAM software and updated the firmware and bingo solved my problem. Sustained load all cores 100% gives me less than 92degress CCD1 and less than 85degrees the other CCD’s. I’m just doing some actually work (running a noise model) but once its done I’ll see if rotating the block changes the CCD1 temperature.

2 Likes