Threadripper 5995wx workstation build

hello, world!
I’m assembling a workstation for myself. a set of tasks that it will perform: 5 permanent virtual machines: two for assembly and testing tasks, one for machine learning tasks (with 2 video cards), one to work (devel) and one for a server (git, redmine, etc.). system: linux.
some basic set of accessories:

• 1x threadripper 5995wx
  • 8x 64gb samsung ecc ram
  • 1x asus pro ws wrx80e-sage se ii
  • 2x nvidia a6000 (machine learning)
  • 1x nvidia a4000 (monitor)
  • 2x samsung pm1735 pci-e
  • 2x m.2 ssd
  • 1x seasonic prime tx-1600 titanium.
  • all case fans are noctua.

everything is purchased, except the cpu cooler and the case. help with the choice, please. the case is preferably with at least 8 expansion slots (one 2-slot videocard will go to the lower pci-e connector so that there is one free slot left - it will also have something to occupy it in the future). who had experience? please share so that the most cold assembly turned out from the set conditions.
thank you.
ps. sorry for my english.

1 Like

Here’s mine:

I have used a small array of server fans in front of the gpus,
so far temps are good, but the thing is loud.

cooler is arctic freezer 4U with 2 noctua industrial (I will get some phanteks t30 to test in the near future)

011 dynamic is an odd choice, but in my “case” it works fine as a workstation chassis. It;s not something I would reccomend to someone else though.

2 Likes

I hope you actually have a use for it and aren’t wasting thousands of dollars on a pc to play minecraft and raise your power bill

1 Like

I’m doing 3d graphics.

2 Likes

How do you get a 5995? AMD Direct?

Ι wish… Retail @ hardware store.

I thought 3K was the last that was in stores?

3k usd sounds like a good deal. In europe they often list it for as much, but they have the 24core Sku listed instead so it’s a mess.
I got him α bit below msrp at launch day, but the pc was built at the tail end of 2022

1 Like

No I mean threadripper 3000 series

What will your total work load be? This looks like a build I would put in my HAF XB Evo.

Were you interested in water or air cooling? Or something… fun?

My immediate comment is use a HAF XB Evo and maximize open airspace if you are doing all air cooling. If you’re doing water, do an O11Dyn or something dual chamber. If you have the ability to go older, get a full tower case that has a side vent for fan mounts. NZXT Pantoms come to mind.

Were you keeping the stock Computer Card Coolers?

oh I see!

well cpu can be maxed out, its easy when rendering.
but what made the build necessary was ram, I can use around 280gb when exporting some big files.

then the pcie lanes for the gpus.

Right now its on air, because temperatures are much better than anticipated. I have purchaced half the parts needed for liquid cooling just in case.

It’s not something i can buy again easily, so the less risk the better. Cards are 4080s so temps are good, no need to liquidcool them so far.

What I mostly do is work on realtime assets, however sometimes I load very heavy cad exports or export big texture sets, that I would have to spend time and separate in batches

Stick to air then, don’t do water unless your ambient temps are convenient.

Look into the Ice Giant Thermosyphon, and you’re probably set. Do an XB Evo if you want open air ventilation (with those cards, I would do that)

Everything is functioning nicely, it’s just loud because of the server fans.

Is it possible to check VRM temperature either in HWiNFO or IPMI/Sensors ? In the version I of ASUS Pro WS Wrx80, it’s not possible.

As far as I’ve seen, not possible.

On the other hand new BIOS 1302 are out.

I’m on the fence about upgrading, the system sofar works well.

Updated and saw a bit more performance from the cpu. everything is ok so far.

But not anymore, I get random restarts and freezes, and some

very repeatable ones while trying to render anything.

it’s guaranteed to crash while rendering with cinebench for example or vray.

it also does it randomly on startup, or by opening a picture, a link and so on…

I’m uploading some pictures in case anyone has faced something similar in the past.

So far I have rolled back the bios, installed new ones, rebuilt the system, cleared cmos, clean install windows, and it’s more frequent now.

I hope it’s not the cpu, I suspect motherboard or ram but at this point I have no idea what might be the issue.

Have you tried reverting back to the previous BIOS?

Hello yes, at this point I have tried everything,
different psu,
different nvme,
reverting to previous bios versions,
clean installing windows thrice
reseat the cpu
checked if it works with a single stick of ram.
and still nothing… :anguished:

Whatever I tried the same set of freezes or restarts keeps occurring.

so I got a new motherboard, and the first screw of the cpu cover refuses to be screwed once the cpu is in.

with the motherboard protective plastics or\and the carrier frame alone, it closes as it should…