Threadripper 2000 series /thread

i didn’t say they made it up, I said they conveniently left out that it’s not a bench stable figure in response to @SgtAwesomesauce being suprised at the figure.

“Tend to exaggerate”, nothing was exaggerated.

yeah, that freq would probably crash as soon as you put it under load. You used to be able to get verification runs of 7 or 8 ghz on FX cpus, for example, but they’d never actually bench anything higher than 5.9 or so

verification runs are basically just peen points, no one actually treats them as a meaningful number (except wccftech apparently)

1 Like

they’re presenting a verification run as an actual overclock, which, to the layman, may seem like the same thing. That’s not good reporting.

also since we’re being pedantic little shits 5.96 != 6

Yeah, I remember hearing about those silly numbers…

On a pentium, it is!

1 Like

6 posts were cast into the Fires of Mt. Doom

Okay, that’s enough, now we’re being pedantic about who brought up pedantics.

It’s turtles all the way down.

Let’s not have this back and forth nonsense boys

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fires of Mt. Doom

ok that one wasn’t even bad

It was off topic :confused:

censor1techs

but yeah given the thermal requirements, power draw under LN2, low voltage rollover, and extra dies I doubt we’ll see a bench stable OC on the 2990 higher than 5.2-5.4, even for the lighter workloads.

Tru. Honestly tho, If you’re trying to get higher, you’re using the wrong CPU.

yeah, which is why reporting verification runs is hella dumb (if not flat out dishonest)

honestly I think 5.2 might even be too optimistic for something like superpi or vantage

Unless you see getting higher as a challenge.

a lot of benchmarks don’t scale consistently with frequency, so if pushing past 5.4 means loosening memory or changing SoC settings you’ll probably score worse (provided that does end up being the stable limit on most chips)

Very weird test:

Check the Ryzen master numbers, vs CPU-z + MSI Command Center

Take it with a grain of salt. Lots of Overclockers are currently scrambling for top spot on the latest hardware.

2 Likes

not weird at all. Most programs on windows report clocks inaccurately (ironically, AMD’s do too.) Which is why CPU-Z is required on most bench sites. This is a typical verification run.

also it looks like WCCF inaccurately reported this as an all core OC, I only see a single core active here.

1 Like

Well basically Ryzen cannot get anywhere near that indeed in normal circumstances.
I believe Asus also has done a high overclock on Ryzen in the past.
But that was just with a fancy custom bios that took all the limmitations away that the chip had or so.
Atleast it was a bios that never has been made publiclly available.

Lol this pretty much yeah. :wink: