Thousand Worlds

If you don't know, George RR Martin made a ton of Scifi books before pretending to write fantasy... or did he pretend to write Scifi thats really fantasy?

Anyway, they are really good, and this guy does the best, and was for a long time the only one, talking about them.

Really amazing scifi and really deep lore (would love a show or game in the universe)

Have you read any of these? What did you like about it?

Never read GRRM but didn't know he did sci-fi works. Just like how Issac Asimov is known for his sci-fi works but also wrote other genres like fantasy on the side. I guess I can give them a try but I have other books I'm currently reading right now. How was GRRM's early writing anyway compared to now, @MFZuul and what reasonable standards should I go into?

At least the books are free online. Just have to use the scribd downloader.

1 Like

ya there should be a link too in the first video of the series that I posted too.

um, well Many are short stories that all are in the same universe. Its not sweeping epics like GOT but more contained... you will see a ton of ideas...names...places...themes that he repeats in GOT in his 1000 worlds. He really likes hiveminds lol

Don't go into it think its going to be lord of the flies like detail like he can do in his GOT books lol or as long, but they steadily get longer as you go, but not heavy reads. Many are short stories he wrote. Would love for him to let some movies/tv shows be made of them

The first video has a link to all of the books and the YouTuber has a Playlist that covers all of the books. Looking at the page count, these are indeed short stories within the same universe. I liked that approach in the sense you don't want to make a continuous story with reoccurring characters but what to create a story in a universe. You can go far or not much at all if desired.

1 Like

ya thats whats kinda great about it

You can do whatever you want with his approach

even make... idk... a medieval world with advanced technology and genetic manipulation that seems like magic? lol

This is basically the realm of science fantasy.

I think there was this quote by one sci fi (Arthur Clarke I believe) that sci fi can be written to the point where it is like fantasy. I don't remember the full quote.

1 Like

yup

and the more you read the 1000 worlds the more you will think GOT could easily be a part of it haha

Can be explained away as its just him reusing and refining ideas but I like the idea its all connected.

Well GOT has been up in my to read list however I do want the author to finish the series (guy is 68) at least. I don't like to get into a series for me to have to wait for more to come out. I don't like being in limbo and enjoying binging through because I know there is an end. Same reason why I will not read Kingkiller Chronicles until the third book is out.

personally I doubt it will all be tied up even if he finishes

He has most of it done, think he's trying to find an ending. Has enough for 3 books iirc, he tend to write a ton and his editors tell him to shorten it haha

Sometimes I wonder when creators make these long series work, do they ever have a reasonable end goal in sight? Are there any other types of works you like to creating? How do you know you are not going too far and stretching thin? Or more importantly, did you even expect it to be bog in popularity in the first place?

Most of the time they do not, most kinda make it up as they go along

GRRM kinda says he does that, there are many small errors that he has later edited and he tends to forget what he wrote. he has a group of 2 or 3 super fans that help him haha. They made the companion art/lore book and proof read much of his work to keep the continuity of the books lol

2 Likes

I think Akira Toriyama (DBZ Creator) really needs that.

1 Like

So how did you hear about these books anyway? Huge GRRM fan?

I liked GOT the show, started reading the books. Found Preston's YT and he exposed me to it.
I'm a big Scifi nerd and always need things to waste time on while I procrastinate lol

He has some great videos on GOT btw if you haven't looked into his channel btw

1 Like