Thoughts on the new MacBook?

I wonder if anyone has computed the volume of the battery on this vs an older model.
Also, the USB c type, while cool and all that it can carry all the signals.. I think will suck on this particular laptop.

I personally like the Apple gear, I have a late 2014 MBP that I use as my daily driver at work, however I think Apple have really shit the bed with this one...
One freaking port for everything!?! What are they thinking??
Remember the Mac VS PC ads, in particular the one where the PC is all beaten up because his owner tripped over the charging cable and it came crashing to the floor? Well that marketing feature is gone now... Trip over this thing and you can say goodbye to backing your crap up quickly when you've got 20% power left... (Timemachine over Wifi is slow as shit!) Not to mention that the thing will be completely useless if you bust that port!!

I bet that the magic dongle that you will require to get any function out of it will be in the $60 - $80 price range. That's like buying a cheap car, but the steering wheel to drive it will cost you extra. Although, at least you can pick a colour now...

Now while I understand this is really aimed at the budget conscience Mac buyer, who doesn't need a lot of power, there is still the issue with basic/standard features prominent across pretty much ALL laptops that are non existent here. Although you can do without an ethernet port if you have decent Wifi, (I have no issue with my MBP in this regard) Good luck copying those holiday photos to an external hard drive, or more to the point, to your freaking laptop in the first place because it doesn't have a card reader either!

This is definitely a budget Apple system, and not aimed at the prosumer users out there, but certain bells and whistles should still be standard.

Dunno about you, but $1200 for a netbook is rather steep price for me... definitely not "budget conscience". The difference between this and entry level Retina Macbook Pro is $99, and you get a machine that you can work on. This? Not so much.

I generally dislike laptops and this doesn't change that. What I am interested in is the performance of core m and broadwell in things like tablets and some other devices, this is just another bend gate waiting to happen.

Wait lets all chip in for @wendell or @Logan to bend one of these things and stir up a shit storm!

I have just checked the Aussie pricing for these things, (Been at work all day) and you're right, definitely not a budget laptop. It seems to me that they are completely not needed in the market! A base model MBP with retina display is the exact same price as the base model New MB... But I did have a conversation with someone about them earlier and they believe that Apple will phase out the macbook air, and these will replace them. But considering how they have priced them, I find that unlikely at the moment

I think it sucks and YOU SHOULD STOP NECRO LIKING MY CRAP @SpaceCat!!!

2 Likes