Thoughts on an 3900x build

Hi, I haven’t build a computer in almost 10 years so i’m long due an upgrade.
I was considering the below.

• CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
  • MB : Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA
  • MEM : G.Skill RipjawsV DDR4-3200 C14 QC - 64GB (F4-3200C14Q-64GVK)
  • GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB GAMING OC
  • SSD : Intel 660p 1TB
  • PS : Corsair RM850X 850W v2

I do some gaming and programming. I tend to have many things running at the same time, so I was going for something with threads and memory to allow me to not need to think about turning things off. but I also want it to last for some time forward.
At the moment it overkill with my two basic 1080p screens. but I plan to upgrade to a pair of 1440p 120Hz screens or there about.
If anyone has any suggestions on adjustments or some incapability I would like to hear your thoughts.
I haven’t found much data about power needs. Beyond what is listed above I’ll be moving some old hard drivers. Dose 850W seem reasonable?
Oh, as far as OS goes I’m use windows now but i may change in the future i have several linux computers about.

Hey, welcome to the forums…
I have a couple questions…

1. I see money aren’t really an issue for you. Why are you going with that 660p and not a PCIe 4 NVMe? Gigabyte are releasing one, and since you have their board… It’s going to kinda be 3 times faster than 660p…
  2. What do you plan to cool that beast with? Custom water? Air? AIO?

The GPU is roughly 250W, the CPU is roughly 200W…
Give it 100W buffer, so 600W would be more than enough… We are talking maximum load here… 850W is massive overkill.

3900x support is still pretty rough and most of Ryzen 3000 still has some teething issues. Most of the X570 boards are working great but a lot of Motherboard manufactures haven’t pushed out the latest AGESA versions in Bios updates yet.

But what about his RGB LED power budget?

My budget is not primary concern but it in the back of my mind.

That is why I went for a quick but cheaper ssd. The gen 4 ones are about 3 x as expensive and unless you are really need to read/wright a lot for video editing or something it’s not worth it. It’s would only be a status symbol for me. I plan on having it for quite some time, then having the ability to upgrade to PCIe 4 parts in the future would be nice.

This is also why i’m going to cooling at first with the box cooler. It seems ok but may upgrade in a month or two to a larger air cooler. They seem most reliable in the long run and cool just as well.

Initially I had a 650 W but then I got in my head a bit and decided to look for more. The price difference is only about 20$ and if I want to put in more hard where later it may be good with a slightly larger buffer. But I may go down to 750W.

This may seem like a bit of an odd selection. But it’s trying to get the most for long-term and for my own bad habits that I have. I may change and think this was a bad choice later, but for the ones I got a bit of money saved up and I just want something at the top of the hill not at the bottom. At the moment I got i5-3570K and Radeon HD 7800 series. This upgrade is long overdue.
Thx psycho_666 for your input.

1 Like

My Personal opinion:
Invest in at least one new Monitor now. Nothing worse than spending 2 Grand on a new PC and looking at it through the same 5 year old underwhelming Monitor.
Drop the RAM to 32G and see how it goes. I don’t think you’ll find a need for 64 outside of high-end productivity tasks.
Maybe go with a 500G SSD plus Spinning drive?
A slightly smaller PSU maybe.

I would rather safe on RAM, Storage and maybe even CPU and get a great monitor with the System. My 27" 1440p 144Hz Monitor was the best and biggest upgrade i ever made. Over every single GPU Upgrade i did.

1 Like

I’d agree that 64 GB is likely overkill. Unless you’re running a lot of VMs, at which point you will almost certainly run short of cores or more likely storage before running out of RAM (based on my work machine here having 1 TB and 64 GB, used as a VMware workstation lab - even with thin clones). At least go 2x16 for 32 GB today and re-evaluate if/when you run out. Adding more will be cheaper tomorrow…

What sort of programming are you doing?

if it is gaming plus say, shell scripting, web development or whatever then even a 3700x will be overkill. But obviously running android simulators, web server VMs for client/server stuff, etc. that will be different.

PSU wise i’d be working out what unit will power your system without the fan needing to spin, or barely needing to spin when under full load. Because i like silence, and i’ve had a horrible history with noisy PSU fans.

Definitely if you care about performance (and especially if you’re going to plan runnng VMs) I’d stick with SSD only (and I’d even drop CPU down a little to get more SSD if you have to). They’re cheap enough now IMHO that unless you’re doing data archival in the same machine you just don’t need rust (but YMMV). SSDs are also mostly silent. When you eliminate noise as much as can, spinning disks are LOUD :smiley:

Perhaps a NVMe pci 4.0 drive. We could use some benchmarks.

Its a very solid build overall.

I have been thinking dropping down to 2x16gb for the start mite be a good idea.
On my current machine I use 20GB ram, in normal usage. Of I want
to start games on top of that, it would tax it a bit. This is why I considered going for 64GB. Like I said I got some bad habits.

Halfling the ssd is pointless. I don’t save much on it. And the HD is for archiving of media I may move that back into my old machine if I get around to setting it up as an unraid NAS.

The power supply I said that I would drop by a bit. But cost wise it is minimal.

The NVMe pci 4.0 drive look at my last reply.

The savings would allow me to get a 1440p 144Hz screen and that would be a nice addition.

Oh, I’m program mostly in Java and Android.

1 Like