Thoughts on Am5 motherboards for a workstation build

That makes sense, well so much for that pcie dream. I do feel like the rog strix B650E
e Is going to be the foundation of this build, 8 layer pcb :white_check_mark: dual gpu support even if its x8/x4 :white_check_mark:, ECC support :white_check_mark:, good out of the box IO :white_check_mark: and I can use an adapter card if I need to relegate m2 pcie lanes for something else like another nic or something. I think I can make a good starter workstation out of that.

value wise it just seems to beat the proart b650 which has a six layer pcb, it does come with x8x8 dual gpu support but only pcie 4. The proart does come with dual nics at 1 and 2.5 gig speeds respectively. but that is about it nothing else on that board excites me. and I feel for less than 100.00 more the rog strix has more to offer.

I did it! I pulled the trigger on the Asus rog strix B650e -e gaming wifi, comes soon. I am starting with non ecc ram. nothing I am working on currently is mission critical, looking at the arc a770 for the 16gig of ram, seems to be some work on machine learning libraries on that platform, I believe that will be a cost effective short term solution that will allow me to start dabbling in a bit of machine learning as well as enough graphical horsepower to do some creative work as well. as for the development work I have slated I just need single thread cpu power. really excited to put this machine through its paces, its going to be such an upgrade to my setup now. I also feel that I have plenty of expandability that allow this platform to grow with me until I need a monster. excited to start with linux.

1 Like

Keep in mind those Machine learning libraries only work on Linux at the moment

AM5 CPUs support bf16 part of the avx512 instruction set which is something not many of the Intel ones do, it does not support FP16 though which is different

2 Likes

Thanks for the info, I believe on this machine my main platform will be Linux. and Ill be experimenting with virtual machines for any windows related tasks/ gaming or development environments when that makes sense, excited to tinker. oddly I am really excited to get into bios, I have only worked with OSX . Apple is so stingy and has everything so locked down( which makes sense for apples tight integration within their ecosystem, but for tinkerers or those that want to stray, leaves something to be desired)

Congratz! Super curious about your first impressions :eyes:

definitely, my case is not here been on backorder since Nov, But I knew the situation since I ordered, as a first time builder I probably made a mistake going sff for a first build but this case got me excited. and the manufacturer has been super awesome about communication with me and its shipping within days. So hopefully be building beginning next week. I have all my bits and pieces except for the Motherboard and ram and those should be arriving Sunday and I ll order the gpu next month. For the cpu I am starting off with the 7900x. at which I got new for a very good price. goal of this build was a cost effective entry point workstation, I could of gone with 16 core part, but as far as performance all the benchmarks that have been published which I have seen suggests the 7900x surpasses last gens zen3 16 core part, so for the price I paid for the processor, value wise I am very pleased. But we will see and I’ll report first impressions.

1 Like

one regret I have is the decision to do a custom loop, That was not cost effective for this build, I should of gone with a AIO. especially since I am currently planning to cool only the cpu. But I already had the radiator and I am a sucker for a project. We’ll see how good my project management skills are. I believe as far as compatibility both in terms of platform and fitment I think I nailed everything. but we will see. Also if I am to be honest my choice in the case.

Which one are you going with?

I went with the Cerberus X, by Sliger. I got caught up with the sff craze, I don’t know if I would make that decision again. Its been well reviewed , however I think going sff for my first build was to say the least, brave. It is currently the smallest case that will fit a ATX/EATX so with that choice of chassis there are some challenges I am expecting, well two in particular; fitment and cable management. I have been trying to plan accordingly.

1 Like

Not quite true - if ATX is your game both the SFFTime P-ATX and SFFTime N-ATX got ya covered for a lot less volume. That said the Cerberus X is a solid choice too, and way easier to build in.

All SFF come with tradeoffs though, and getting efficient and adequate cooling is the most challenging part of any SFF build.

1 Like

Ohhh! so cool! something new I have learned!! those would be great if I ever outgrow this platform as a daily driver and decide to repurpose it as a steam gaming rig/ media server.

so for cooling, I am running a soft tube loop with a 280mm hardware lab radiator. and a couple noctua fans. those will be set to intake and I ll have a couple slim 120mm on top set as exhaust.

Should be decent enough - although to be fair, if a case can accomodate it my new powerhouse SFF build goto is a Ryzen 7900 with a Noctua NH-L12S + Radeon 7900 XTX in a sandwich form factor (think Sliger SM580, Velka 7 or similar). A power draw of less than 600W that can do 4k@160 Hz easily on a volume of < 10L? Awesome <3

Of course, ITX boards often feel more constrained than they should. Manufacturers should take advantage of the backside more for m.2 slots IMO, but oh well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.