Thoughts on airflow with two GPUs

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m considering replacing the GTX 1060 graphics card that is in my main slot with a second hand 3090 for my dual GPU VFIO machine but am a little concerned about airflow. The second (lower) slot is occupied with an RX 6400 and while a 3090 would be both longer and wider (so not completely blocked) it would be fill all three slots and be kind of snug.

Choices are going to be limited by whatever second hand stock is around but I notice the Founders Edition card has a somewhat different airflow design than the usual two/three fans all on one side. I’m unsure if this would be a good thing in my situation or not.

Any thoughts about this stuff?

Here are some photos as-is. Case is a Fractal Design Torrent.

I have 2x 3090s in my setup, there’s just a little bit of spacing between those since each are 2.5 slots each. The top GPU does heat a bit but it’s nothing it can’t handle (80~85º tops).
Try to find a 3090 that’s not too thick and you should be fine.

2 Likes

The cooling fins on the gpu cards are oriented up and down compared to the cooling fan airflow which is side to side.
The bottom card does get a lot more airflow hence it is cooler but it blocks the flow to the top card.
You could 3d print a duct and add an exhaust fan to such more heat out from the gpu cooling fins and port it uot the back.

2 Likes

I am babysitting 3 “identical” builds for blender rendering. on a x570 taichi there are 2 msi suprim X 3090’s housed in a fractal torrent. during full renders the cards barely hit 70c, even the top card. the bottom fans are removed, and the front fans are spinning a bit faster than some might like to sit next to, but no thermal issues.

1 Like

You could 3d print a duct and add an exhaust fan

Interesting idea! A wee bit out of my experience but might be a fun route for me to explore.

1 Like

That’s very encouraging - thanks! Particularly since you’ve got the same case.

Think I’ll still do as @igormp suggests and try to find a relatively slim card anyway, but I’m starting to be convinced this will work :grinning:

I have crammed 2 double slot cards next to each other for years in cases with terribly airflow and occasionally bad fans. You will more than likely been just fine. Run a benchmark / stress test with an eye on the temps and add some extra case fans as necessary once everything is in place. If nothing else it gives you a baseline to reference in the future.

1 Like

The problem is that most of those newer high-end GPUs are 2.5~4 slots instead of just 2 slots haha

Anyway, shouldn’t matter much given that OP’s second GPU is a small one.

Huh, that’s actually a really nice idea for me, I could even double its use by making it work both as a duct and as a support bracket.

1 Like

Excuse the spelling big fingers on a small phone keyboard🤣

Found an ASUS TUF Gaming OC, which seems to be one of the slimmest 3090s at 2.7 slots. Seems like decent enough spacing between the cards and works well.

Thanks folks!

1 Like

Gonna take a shot in the dark and say you meant ekwb.com and aren’t a spam bot

1 Like

the comments seem more like a previous member, than a bot.
Silly, and piss taking, rather than automated?