This looks to be the best PCIe 4.0 SSD for Chia

It’s enterprise grade and seems like it can handle a lot of writes. Perfect size to throw 14 plots at a time. Do you think this is the best option for gen4 ssds right now? It has 6500 MB/s read speeds which seems kind of nuts!

Samsung PM9A3 4TB PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe U.2 SSD MZ-QL23T80

There is a big difference between sequential and random and historically gen 3 is better on random

But last time I checked was when that ancient gigabyte add withe huge copper heatsink was new

I haven’t noticed that? Ever since the toshiba controller with gen4 capabilities from last year, the random speeds are super fast

From Der8auer’s video, it seems that Chia puts a tremendous amount of wear on SSDs during the plotting process;

I wonder if one could use Optane to absorb most of the drive-wearing writes, then offload the final plot to an HDD (maybe even SMR) for long term storage.

As a happy by-product, if it works, the resulting miner-purchasing volume could maybe finally help drive Optane into mass production. If nothing else, the eventual second hand market would probably still leave us with higher-remaining-edurance drives than new SSDs and with higher performance.

I don’t know much about Chia, but can you trade latency / throughput for parallelism, e.g. just get a bunch of micron 5210 SATA ssd?

Actually it seems to be a wash, with 3 years ROI on storage, it seems like HDD prices should be coming back to normal soon.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.