Thinking of going to UnRaid from TrueNAS Core

I have been running FreeNAS for almost 3 years now and I kept hearing that they were working on GPU pass though for Jails like Plex, and the ability to expand storage with out having to add a whole bunch of disks at the same time. I share my Plex with a bunch of my friends and with everyone stuck home I’ve seen up to 10 people hitting it. I was hoping that the update to TrueNAS Core they would give you the ability to at least the same size drives to a pool and expand it without having to add a group of them and GPU pass through to Jails.

Currently i have (12) 2 tb ssd’s Main Pool and 8 4tb hdds Backup Pool and a couple VM’s on a Threadripper 2920X with 128 gig ram. And I need to add more storage for my media. Is UnRaid worth the price for “Unlimited” actually only 30 drives from what I’ve seen or should i keep waiting for TrueNAS to actually implement the adding of disks and real GPU pass though.

I personally have my TrueNAS Core virtualized on Proxmox with the HBA passed through to the VM. My Plex server, which is technically on a different node, is its own VM with a GPU passed through to it. The setup gives me a lot of flexability and doesn’t have me stuck with a shitty hypervisor management interface, which is the case of both TrueNAS Core and Unraid.

How is Proxmox to learn. It looks like there is 3 different ones so which one would I be looking at for it. Is there a license fee or something of that sort. and a little more explaining on how your set up is designed would be awesome. Can you record live tv from plex to your media pools?

Proxmox Virtual Environment. It’s completely free to use with optional paid support.

First time I set it up about 2 years ago it was a bit confusing since there are a lot optional things. Like I said before, the HBA is passed through to my TrueNAS VM. I have NFS shares set up which I use to store ISOs, vDisks, and Containers in Proxmox. Also a media share that my Plex server uses. Proxmox itself uses ZFS so you could technically could just use your pools directly as part of Proxmox I think. There might be issues with additional ZFS feature flags enabled in the TrueNAS build of ZFS versus the Linux version.

Relevant documentation to the PCI passthrough part: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#qm_pci_passthrough

Thanks I’ll have to look into it. Almost my whole house is windows computers so I need SMB shares for windows.

You can use SMB as well, I just like using NFS for the Linux specific stuff since it’s usually faster out of the box.

Came across a TrueNas Scale which is being built on Debian and from the sounds of it PCIE graphics cards to plex and what not will finally be able to be done. So I think I might hold out a bit longer before i make the switch to a paid nas os