"They're Watching You" - Bryan Lunduke

Nice little talk. Kind of interesting, all pretty much true.

And no one cares.

16 Likes

Fun one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't agree with the last bit where he says there is nothing we can do. Let's start building the EMP bomb.

2 Likes

No watch list or visits by men in black with that :slight_smile:

Not sure what we can do, so I just obfuscate my data via low signal to noise ratio. Make it hard for them to tell my real actions.

EDIT: Actually, I've got a solution.

Let's make our own internet. Conditions of being a carrier is that you must agree to not allow the government on.

2 Likes

It would only take one liar to break the whole system though

4 Likes

and punishable by death by dismemberment?

What we need is a system that's built with encryption from the ground up.

1 Like

I watched it all the way through till they started literally making their own tin foil hats... ughhh...
I'm not a fan of Brian Lunduke. I think he's extremely over rated.

However, I did find the Niantic CIA connection stuff very intriguing. I'd never heard that one before. I couldn't find what he used for sources on the awards given to CIA man while working for Niantic.

Anyone know where that came from?

3 Likes

I agree. He's an obnoxious theatre geek. He's made a career of emulating something that roughly resembles charisma in rooms full of poorly socialized technical people.

His editorials and prose tend to be rambling and overwhelmingly "Story-time with uncle Lunduke," which doesn't help my opinion of him.

3 Likes

it's not that nobody cares, it's that very little can actually be done. apart from using a VPN and POTENTIALLY not using Google [we all know there are ways even beyond their reach that are tracking us] the remaining question is still so obvious that i get the urge to yell it now. WHAT CAN WE DO?? there's so much Richard Stallman level mouth-foaming, but nobody seems to have a definitive answer. because their isn't one.

"get people on Linux" - okay, i could say "get people to go vegan" right back and we would be no closer to the problem being solved.
"Windows 10 is invasive" - we know. people have tried to stop it, but short of unplugging the network cable, can't. the business world runs on it.
"don't use Google, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media" - again, there are entrenched, powerful government entities at play. not listing your entire life and work place history on your profiles would help, but not using these services isn't going to be a magic bullet.

so if you use Linux full time, use a VPN, don't use Windows 10, and don't use any social media, which is a BIG EFFORT, what will that make you?

mildly safer, maybe.

stuff like this is really getting to be a bit tedious for me, personally. problems are being stated, and no real feasible answers are being given.

on a positive note, i do use Protonmail.com for some email use, so that's something to try at least.

1 Like

I watched that as soon as I saw it in the feed. Very good talk, but nothing new for me. Scary.

tuff crowd

I enjoy privacy rants and tinfoil hats. Using a "network" by definition identifies you. At best you can hope for information privacy but A connects to B and there is a time stamp. What is really nice about the internet is you can generate a report when A connects to B. With a warrant you can add what A communicated with B.

In practice cell phone gps is probably the primary targeting mechanism for the american drone strikes (at least that's what wikileaks has to say).

A calls B. C scans B's gps coordinates. launch hell-fire missile. No B.

1 Like

Not just American drone strikes and not just drone strikes but pinpointing a target's location in general. This was known even before Wikileaks became a thing. Dzhokhar Dudayev was targeted thanks to his satellite phone and that was back in '96. Famous last picture of him:

God knows what other target tracking mechanisms have been developed since then... But I think they are going for a holistic, "behavioral", pattern-driven solution for future man-hunting. And maybe even to prevent the "manhunt" from even getting to the point where a government doesn't know exactly where a person of interest is located at any time.

2 Likes

Note that this was even done by the Russian air-force using mobile field deployed or onboard aircraft equipment. :wink: