Thermal solutions & augments for my 6700xt

while i haven’t been able to find a compatible full waterblock for my power color fighter 6700xt (twin fan)

to bring my load temps down from a avg peak idle avg 27.5c load avg 67.7c (during the winter) in a 68deg room

to avg 34.5c peak idle to avg 78.7c load (during the summer) in 72deg room with a well ventilated case 5 x 120mm noctua 3000rpm fans iv been thinking about thermal solution augments for the 6700xt such as replacing the thermal pasta with

thermal pads like my cpu’s Innovation Cooling Graphite Thermal Pad

an try this on the gpu core an

[ARCTIC TP-3: Premium Performance Thermal Pad]

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09V53W559/ref=emc_b_5_t?th=1) on the vrms or the 2nd on both

my goal would be to at bare minimum get 8c in reduction any more an i would be even happier

so id like thoughts , idea’s , an advice on this an if anyone’s got a step by step for this gpu’s tear down so i can down it right would be much appreciated

LITTLE YELLOW BEAST

fyi if you think temps are affected negatively by this layout there actually a bit better as the old layout was horizontal gpu an rear aio as exhaust everything was 8c hotter at both idle an load the as cool as the are now after re-config

ther no diff with 1 1/2 intake on the gpu but vertical with the rear exhaust fan freed up ther is , an the same for the cpu with front mount aio in pull config

I’m assuming the room temps. you are quoting are in F. If so, those temps. seem fine, but I doubt the noise is. Your fan setup seems ok and I doubt changing it to more exotic setups (or putting better fans) will change things drastically. The heatsink on the GPU and those dinky fans are holding you back. Not much you can do other than changing the cooler. Better thermal pads won’t do much really. You can try with the repasting, but unless the GPU was horrendously mounted from the factory not much difference will be seen. Maybe a few degrees less, but definitely not the difference you expect.

It that’s the Power Color Fighter model, the Morpheus II should fit on it. However, you will need to get creative with the VRAM and VRM cooling.

2 Likes

like this

an could i mount two 120mm noctua’s to it or would i be better off getting a full cover waterblock an if so do you know of one that would fit

I think the hardware is fine, but the arrangement could use some attention. With those 3000rpm fans you have plenty of horsepower, but you need to optimize the flow using temperature based fan curves. I would also recommend moving your AIO from intake to exhaust, as right now the heat from the CPU gets dumped into the case. Moving it up to the top spot right above it would probably see very similar if not the exact the same temps on the CPU. Top exhaust in general is okay, but you want to ramp the fans way down so you don’t interfere with the front-to-back flow. Push or pull on the radiator doesn’t really matter for performance, only noise.

As far as the GPU goes, unless there was an assembly mistake you’re unlikely to see a huge improvement with new pads and paste. Also don’t use pads or sheets on the GPU die as they will perform worse thermally than even mediocre paste. Don’t let the numbers fool you, any solid sheet is going to act as a full thermal barrier where paste will always have spots with full die to cooler contact. I’m not talking about “phase change” thermal material as those become liquid when hot.

Vertical mounting generally performs worse than normal, which makes me wonder if you didn’t have optimal flow with the original configuration.

2 Likes

If you need to check my credentials here’s my old P500A with eight 3000rpm noctuas (six 140s with just under 600cfm intake) running a 10900K (and D15 w/ KryoX) at essentially ambient on a Z490 Unify with individual header control for each fan. It could do a +50C delta at 250W with zero heat soak and it wouldn’t go over 70C for a full Cinebench or Blender run.

1 Like

If properly mounted and using decent fans, I would say a 10C drop under heavy load is a good expectation. VRAM and VRM cooling may be a problem. I don’t know much about full cover waterblocks, but last I looked they were usually pricey and compatibility was a big problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.