The VEGA 56 / 64 Cards Thread! General Discussion

Yep, its now priced where it makes competitive sense, halfway between gtx1070 and gtx1080, while giving performance competitive with the gtx1080, just being hotter and louder (shame there aren’t the same sort of availability of board partner design coolers in that regard). I will note also, if your not wed to programs that favor CUDA, at that price its an absolute beast compute card (especially Frontier Edition with its 16gb HBM cache, but thats twice the price for me locally), it even beats out even the firepro WX9100 (or NVIDIA GP100) FLOPS wise, both single and double precision, so for a home gamer building a workstation without the desire to spend 3x the money on validated products its near unbeatable value.

Still waiting for a Vega64 Nano card, it does look like that won’t be a thing. See what Navi has to offer…

HBCC almost makes that irrelevant. I can assign system memory that more than closes that gap. As long as you have the system memory to do it. Of course native to the card and pro drivers are better, but for the price? I will wait and see what comes next year and cheaped out with RX.

Also with the addition of Radeon Pro Render, they have taken CUDA out of equation for me. YMMV.

On another note and perhaps even more interesting, Vega 56 at MSRP:

North of the boarder we are still being over charged.

1 Like

System memory access rates via the PCIe bus are still more than an order of magnitude lower bandwidth than direct access from the HBM dies, or even competitors GDDR5 dies. Particularly at such high computation rates, a bunch of compute tasks near scale with the memory on the card… installing a bunch of DDR4 and allocating it for video use doesn’t change this.

Also I’d personally consider saying your unhappy with your pricing for electronics in a less offensive fashion, but I do hear the sentiment, I’m in australia, and a GTX1080ti is typically $1300… I have seen people here get a friend overseas to buy PC parts and mail them instead of pay local rates.

Did not think it would offend, changed it for you…

As far as Aussie pricing, your government has a huge hand in that. It is not limited to electronics, but across the board. What you pay for what I call a truck (ute?) is criminal.

1 Like

That PCB would be real nice in a SFF build, and I imagine the open backplate will make it cool decently in situations that a blower cooler might do a bit better normally. Could be an interesting card.

2 Likes

Uhm, you might want to look at that again… That card is in no way small.

Look at the PCIe bracket.

XFX-custom-Radeon-RX-Vega-2

2 Likes

I said the PCB would be nice, not the card as a whole. The PCB is half-length, not much longer than the PCIe slot itself. Yes it would require a custom cooling solution but that’s not unheard of.

Edit: cutout in the backplate is where the power connectors are.

1 Like

Gotcha. Yeah that might be an option but I would probably wait for the nano if sff is a must. Or at least I would wait for someone to actually look at the pcb.

I will see what the situation is like jan / feb

Vega isnt completely off of the cards for me yet as it performs very well in cinema4d r9 19 for gpu rendering.

If you paid with a Visa CC, you can price-match computer hardware.

Well alright then

2 Likes

Just bizarre…

Edit: no information on what chip they’ll be providing but it doesn’t look like this is an APU replacement as much as it will be a discreet GPU bundled with an Intel CPU on a singular package with dedicated HBM2. Could mean gaming ultrabooks without all the Nvidia baggage.

Really curious to see if the Intel iGPU will still be there and what that would mean for passthrough on a super portable VM machine if so.

Anyone hear if Sapphire is going to release their version of the Vega cards?
I heard their designs are pretty legendary. Anything from SapphireEd?

3 Likes

What I like about the picture above is that the backplate isn’t solid, which mirros Sapphire’s outstanding Fury design. Maybe I’ll pick it up, I’m not sure though.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the reference manufacturer’s fans are? The Gigabyte one looks beefier than the MSI one. Is it just because the label on the GB one makes it look bigger?

The openings are exactly the same. This makes me wonder if they made a trade off between air flow and noise or something?

On a side note: I think I need a reference card because my case thermals aren’t great (brand new Phanteks Enthoo Evolv matx TG). My r9 390 (MSI) gets to 91 degrees in benchmarks before I chicken out and shut it off. If there are any other ideas to remedy this i am open to suggestions. I would rather not have to buy a new GPU, tbh. Heh, I’ll move this to another thread if this is not the place for it.

They look exactly the same to me. Look at the length and spacing of the actual fan blades. The lighting on the MSI photo makes it harder to see that part that the blades connect to but it’s certainly there.

3 Likes

All reference cards are AMD built. The only involvement from the board partners was sticker and packaging

So I guess they do that so they dont have to deal with warranties, customer service and distribution. I see the logic in that.

Interesting video from one of my favorite YT channels.

5 Likes