I never really found a great solution, but a good enough option for me is Microsoft OneNote. I’d love to self host something, but it’s very difficult to get a feature set OneNote provides.
While I had my share of “‘the fuck you doing’ Microsoft?”, OneNote is actually well designed, and works on most devices, even the web app version is good.
Very useful for me is their collaboration with Samsung. All office apps work on Galaxy phones and their desktop mode and OneNote integrates really well with s-pen, you can just pull the pen out on the lock screen, jot something down and put it back and voila - it can sync from your Samsung notes to OneNote. It can OCR your notes even if they are not in English, and that it’s very useful for the rest of us
.
I don’t know, plenty to like but I have that anxiety that I always depend on Samsung and Microsoft, and since apparently Samsung is not doing the Note thing anymore a very expensive solution is going to get even more expensive as only option will be a foldable one.