The Tek 0240: Jail For Facebook & Twitter Posts! | Tek Syndicate

Yeah those images don't surprise me at all. I have very bad experience with muslims. My high school was full of muslims and they were rude to everyone, always insulting me and bullying me because I was not like them. They always demand things to be their way. Like in my collage where they introduced HALAL food because large group of the pupils were muslims and they were constantly bitching that they can't eat pork. But nobody pointed out that the ritual is a animal torture.

I couldn't even have a fair one-on-one fight because they would instantly gang up on me. At one point some polish people got into fight with them and they managed to beat them. What happened after is they called their friends who much older than the polish kids waiting outside the school gate with knifes. The school had to call police and the parents of the polish kids to pick them up otherwise they would get stabbed to death.

I know there is an exception to everything but most of the muslims I met in my life are fucking scum. The more of them will come to europe the worse it's going to get.

My favorite quote. "The problem is, some people are just stupid and don't know it."-@wendell

I'm kind of amazed by all the small minded people on this forum. I'm an atheist living in an ultra-christian community and yet don't judge all Christians for the way those in my town act.

The same should go for all religions and groups.

Some people are good, some are bad. But you need to meet those people before judging them.

1 Like

@Logan Like how you kept saying LTT
All I could think was Logan Tek Tips

@wendell Just to clarify, Firefox is multi-treaded for so long, they are going to enable multiprocess (e10s) in next version of Firefox. So each tab is a different process, and one tab will not cause crash the whole browser,

They are also making a browser engine which is written in rust called servo (www.servo.org), which is parallel engine and crazy fast,
Github : https://github.com/servo/servo/

Demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0hYIRQRiws

So, I still waiting here looking at black screen. When are you giving away that yacht?

Regarding the use of a robot bomber in the demolition of a mass murder suspect:

That is probably a bad example; as the suspect was pinned in a community college, with a rifle, spilling his guts. He was also threatening the police instead of laying down his gun and accepting the due process being offered.

This probably is something that we should be concerned about for other reasons though. The drone assassinations in the middle east for instance. There is no intention of due process or even to double check the intelligence. The vast majority of people who fall to drone strikes are innocent bystanders to begin with. Foreign relations is obviously not job one.

Maybe there is concern for such things happening domestically. It might be naive to suggest otherwise.

A fairly accurate way to judge how monstrous an organization or society is might be reflected in how it deals with monsters.

@Logan @wendell You touched on a touchy subject with Germany :) . Freedom of speech has indeed been debated in connection with the populist wave in European politics, but unfortunately not also thoroughly argued. For example, in Germany, and similarly in Sweden, where I live, a degree of limit to the freedom of speech has always been a part of the law, unlike what appears to be the case with USA. There are reasons for this limitation, and reasons to periodically argue about increasing or decreasing the extent of those limitations.

Having taken in much input on a variety of forums, very much so while battling the absolutely atrocious quality of the debate on the immigrant crisis, I have become convinced that freedom of speech no longer fits well the current definition of speech, and freedom.

I believe there are a couple of questions that are useful to ask in defense of freedom of speech.

The freedom of speech is from the start defined to apply to actual speech (not many people were able to read and write at the time). In the very sense of it, a spoken word is not permanent, and is necessary to disseminate ideas. Valuable ideas will stick, and the other ideas will be more strongly opposed. To a degree, it is also self-censoring because it is both ephemeral, and also has your face on it. A perfect system at the time, but it has never been adjusted to the advances in printing, and the further advances in technology. I have no idea what the US founding fathers would have written had they been alive today. Would they find their formulations obsolete? How would they translate their ideas to what we have today?

What is, and isn't, speech? Is there a relation between what you communicate, to how many people, and your responsibility as to the what you communicate? Publications have some responsibilities that a single person does not.

A web page, even a social media web page, can be very easily considered a publication, almost always without a publication's responsibility. Social media is arguably not being efficiently moderated, to the extent it is being moderated at all. And shit sticks on web pages and social media - my own most hateful words remain looking back at me days and months after I've "spoken" them. People continue reacting on them as if I spoke them today. And then they also stick their own stuff to it. They add to it. And this is the snowball that can be paused and continued. Not a snowball that melts when you let go of it. It draws in more and more people over time instead, who become feeling reinforced in their own hate, making their hate last longer, and thus increasing the chance of them acting on it, one way or another. I certainly have some skill in making my words stick. I do not have the moral or ethical responsibility that should go with the gift, nor the moral or ethical authority to make them stick. Yet I do.

It was different before the internet.

If I made a hateful remark in company of my friends (which used to be the standard way to practice speech before the internet days), they would look at me as if I had gone mad and ask me about what I was talking about. They would listen to me, and then tell me one way or another that I shouldn't be stupid. And due to some mutual and humane respect, I would stand corrected, and understand what I was doing to myself and them. They would understand I had an issue. The moment would have passed. We would all come stronger out of it. But that interaction does not exist on the internet, where we instead tend to perpetuate our weakest moments. This is an important question to take away from this example: When that interaction which is natural to speech is not present on the internet, then why should the rules applicable to speech be present on the internet?

Definition of speech in freedom of speech seems to not have been updated when literacy and printing became ubiquitous. And certainly not when the internet occured.

I have come to believe that publishing hateful content is an information virus which is debilitating people's ability to reason about actual problems. A fucking parasitic waste of energy, no longer a vaccine against the infection but an actual infection. So is this then not a national health problem which has the properties of, in worst-case-scenario triggering mad people to murder, and in best-case-scenario incapacitating us for the longest amounts of time, during which we would have been amazingly happy and productive instead? There sure also is the middle-case-scenario in which we are making our own society suck eggs, compromising with ourselves and trading our own best for our own worst. I think that we are only as civilized as the society we are in allows and encourages us. This is another important question: Is lack of reasoning mobility not indeed very much like a lack of physical mobility?

For all we know, we are being assaulted by some evil country with plentiful resources for asymmetric warfare doing what it wants, while we are busy being somewhere out of our minds. We are vulnerable to this virus. It is so very much exploitable. Like the devil, it whispers to our inner demons and makes them rage and take over our reason. Even though I am not religious, I find this devil-comparison to be very accurate. This virus weakens us as individuals and weakens our society, by incapacitating us and making us spew shit.

How can you exploit freedom of speech to weaken a whole country?

With freedom of speech and the new technology in arms, yuo can at any time find a racist discussion on blacks, muslims or jews, and then innocently link to it, asking a black person, a muslim, or a jew, what he thinks of it and take a shit on their day. The rest of his day, they will either defend himself, try to explain how wrong you are, or sulk, betrayed by your innocence. This innocent linking is happening all over the social media, and sometimes it is just simply not innocent, it is on purpose. How many times can you betray your neighbor before they decide to no longer relate to you? Then how many further times can you betray your neighbor before they decide to start talking to radicals? This is what most people these days call "not racism". No, this is not racism, but it facilitates it.

It is similar to jaywalking in a way.

If I should jaywalk along a railroad in Sweden and someone sees me, they will report me to the authorities. The authorities will cordon off the railroad until they find me or verify that no one is there. This will cause the traffic to stop for only about an hour. And in my innocence, this is not a big deal. But if every fucking one of us takes a turn, then there will be no railroad traffic. So the law must be adjusted for the railroad traffic to exist.

If there were only five guys talking hate on a coffee, they would probably get tired of it. A minority person is betrayed five times and won't be again. The railroad is incapacitated for five hours. But with internet, there are millions. A minority person is betrayed everywhere they look. The railroad is incapacitated indefinitely.

I believe this is the realization that is driving what is happening in Germany. (I am not defending what is happening there because we don't know if it will end on a positive or a negative)

This is why anti-discrimination and hate-laws must be enforced both ways. Having extremist muslims protesting is almost as uncomfortable as having nazis protesting. It is to me less comfortable having nazis though, because they have a slightly bigger chance of coming to power than extremist muslims.

Been there myself - somehow it didn't work out, and I know now that wasn't my fault. Not beat up only because I was very well trained at the time (multiple martial arts) and they couldn't agree which one of them would be the first to hit the ground with a smashed face. I hated my growing up. This shit made me very direct in saying what I think of people like that, and doing it to their face. I won't spew hate here, but I get you. Some muslims actually come from parts of countries that were very civilized before their wars and revolutions broke out. Those don't gladly look on the uncivilized ones, and tend to get out of ghettos asap.

I believe that, had our countries' (I have no idea what your country is) authorities (education, police, employment focus) been better engaged and present in supporting those families integration, we would have had better years at school. This is integration failure, not immigration failure though. Perhaps it would be reasonable to condition immigration on integration, but unfortunately integration is not on the agenda of the European right-wing parties - they simply seem to want the integration to fail in order to justify not having any muslim immigration at all, which to me is just as bat shit crazy as having no integration at all. And then we have had a left wing that for years seemed to want increased unconditional immigration because it almost always meant more votes to them.

1 Like

If you're interested in Sweden's immigration problems, you should check out this YouTube channel:

1 Like

The big deal about the NES Classic relates to that last bit @Logan threw in about making a Raspberry Pi NES emulation machine and emulating all the games "that you own physical copies of".

Here's the thing, NES physical game prices have been going through the roof over the last several years, and not just for the "rare" games. They are giving you 30 games, mostly very good and highly sought after games, for $2 each with a little machine to play it on that does HDMI out. I frequent retro game communities and minorly collect, but I can't recall even hearing about someone scoring anything comparible to those games for that price in the last several years (you could argue the very occasional "I got super rare game x for $10 that costs $500", but I mean a glut of many good games, or even enough deals on that many good games in a small time frame to be equivalent).

Those same games in the Virtual Console typically go for $5 each too, so even that route is significantly more expensive.

To top it off, if you build the raspberry pi nes (or another equivalent) you still need to cough up $35 for a Raspberry Pi that has HDMI out (assuming this will be a dedicated system or you don't already have one). Even if you plan to use other equivalent components this would provide that you already have, and if you don't care about the look, that's a huge chunk of this price right there as well.

In other words, at $60 this is a great value for anyone that wants to stay even mostly legal with how they get and play their games (emulation in itself is absolutely legal as long as the emulator was made legally). To top it off a lot of people just like the design for display and placement purposes. For me, the value for legal copies of the software is appealing. I still have (and use from time to time) an old NES, but I don't have more than half the games in those 30, and I know getting them would cost several times what this thing costs, even if I just got the ones I'm interested in. Drop the price a bit more during a sale and it'll be hard to resist picking up.

According to a state law enforcement officer I know, if the subject has a lethal weapon, law enforcement will shoot to kill. Not disable, to kill. "If you come at me with a knife I will shoot you dead," as she put it. According to her, lethal is the first and last force resorted to, because nonlethal solutions are 'too unreliable'. I don't know if that's official policy, or just her personal policy, but what I take away from it is, if I threaten lives, I have forfeited my right to life and should expect to be shot dead.

1 Like

I'll say the guy is giving one sizable snapshot of it, which at a certain level is simultaneously offensive, brilliantly lucid, entertaining, and painfully accurate (within the said snapshot size). Sadly, his absurdist approach to the subject is not well received or understood by either extremes. On the account of him being offensive, the leftists hate him, the conservatives wish to re-purpose him, and neither seem capable of understanding what he is actually doing (simply walking his own path through the absurd). And sadly, neither extreme are able to respond to any of the questions he's asking.

I do not agree with all of his opinions, he overreacts to some things, I would do some things different to what he is proposing, etc... But he nails the critique. And this guy will offend, no doubt about that, to the point of making it performance art. He's also a perfect display of difficulties when you are not careful in how you go about having an opinion of your own in Sweden, one you haven't bought off the shelf. He is also very good at showcasing why we can't solve our problems in Sweden. I know from before he'd been getting some serious "Justine Sacco" treatment from lots of people who don't get him. Amusingly, he chose to respond by offending them some more.

Just my kind of guy, I just wish his approach wasn't so damn divisive. We seriously need to find a way to coexist with the intellectually deficient people with no understanding for the type and content of critique being applied to a subject. Repeatedly offending the sensibilities of those people and pushing them over in a rage-loop may not yield a positive net effect on the society. I think some of those people could have been receptive to, and valuable within an intelligent discourse, if they weren't immediately offended into a fit of blind rage by the guy.

(And I thoroughly enjoyed his vids, ty)

I found you urinating. You found me interesting.

Pure "gold" :) .

Not a pretty picture; but from the shoes of an innocent person who's life is in danger, it's difficult to argue with.

"A lot of people are stupid." -Wendell, Tek Syndicate

Can we see this on a T-shirt? Maybe with Wendel's face in black & white.

2 Likes

For those interested in acquiring more information on use of force:

This is the National Institute of Justice website that helps explain use of force and when the use of lethal force is acceptable:

http://www.nij.gov/topics/law-enforcement/officer-safety/use-of-force/Pages/continuum.aspx

Here is a link to a wikipedia article that does a good job covering the subject in a wider scope:

I was sad to not see this video in 4K. I bought monoprice's 4K display and i need to get some mileage out of it.

At the start of The Tek, regarding Pokemon Go in odd places, in the space of 20 min I had multiple spawns in places that were beyond coincidence:

1. Multiple Ratatta in a welfare housing estate.
  2. Slowpoke outside a Dept. of Human Services (Australian federal dept that handles welfare and Medicare).
  3. Porygon outside a telco exchange.
  4. Gastly next to a roadside crash memorial.

Was conflicted on whether to laugh or cringe at the last one.

arresting people for tweets is national sport in spain
i can put a lot of examples but.. just google it.
also it's (ab)used politically, basically to punish people against present goverment rulers #ofcourse

what i'm up to.. our company just produced the visuals for this music video https://youtu.be/m77khLVlsuc hope you like it ;)

let me bust out my small minded flag :) Frankly no cares about your religion ?

and walking down an alley in a bar district is not pleasant :)