The Tek 0214: This Does Not Stay in Vegas | Tek Syndicate

Sony's trademark registration request was denied in December. (Source) This is just another example of shitty journalists writing half-assed articles.

Maybe from a technical stand point, but for people who hold those particular franchises dear in their hearts, there is nothing that PC offers that will replace them. I am defending consoles in the sense that they have their purpose and I own many of them. I doubt anyone denies though that PC had the best performance, but some people have no idea what performance even means.

I like having Paul in the show. It's great how close the PC/Tech show community is. I would have liked to see you play some practical jokes on the Linus Tech guys.

1 Like

I don't own a console, but I've heard that Halo 3 and later are not as good as Halo 1 and 2, which are also available on PC, so we're not missing anything.
Uncharted is basically Tomb Raider with a male protagonist.
Don't know if Zelda or Mario have equivalents, but there are emulators.

I think you're trying to say that their purpose is familiarity and nostalgia, but that's not a good enough reason to defend them considering the harm that consoles have done to PC gaming.

I would definitely love to see more Paul here in the Tek. You guys complement each other a lot. Just as long as Paul doesn't try to poison Logan again, more Paul is good for everyone.

Watercooled PSUs sound really cool but I am not sure if it is truly practical for its benefits as most new PSUs are already efficient like Wendell say and generate less heat, which in turn, air cooling devices don't have to go jet engine mode to cool the componentes. Some PSUs even have a feature where the fan is not activated until the PSU reaches a certain temperature.

While you make a great point on having a modular GPU and strong CPU on a console @wendell, you can't forget that cost is a hugely important factor for people buying a console. You can't have a situation like the Playstation 3 where it cost $500-$600 and drive people to the Xbox 360 for a few years. The same happened for the Xbox One driving people to the PS4 due to the DRM and Kinect BS. Only way this could work is if the modular basic console was already at a compelling price point which will already be a hard feat to accomplish.

On that note, it will be interesting to see just how far the gap between PC and console hardware/software capabilities will be around 2018. By that point, we should have GPUs that can push 2160p with no problem whatsoever and VR should be more accessible.

1 Like

Ok I think you guys are so disconnected from the console gaming world that you don't really understand why people buy consoles. People buy consoles either for exclusive games or to game on their couch with their friends. The latter is why consoles still exist and won't go away until PC gaming can easily deal with multiple people gaming on the same machine. Most People don't want to haul their machines to a friends house for a LAN party to game with their friends. I say this cause it's a point that a lot of "the PC master race" don't seem to Realize and I would love it if we could go to a friends house with just the controller of my choosing and play a game with them in the living room on a PC.

3 Likes

All of what @Dshepp said, and then also the fact that you plug it in and it just works. Think iPhone. It is limited in what it does, and then it does that exact specific thing well enough to fulfill the expectation. Clarity of purpose, and clear association to the purpose. Easy content filtering too (for minors).

It may not perform as well as a PC in real-life graphics, but does it have to have real-life graphics? Not all toys look realistic. I wouldn't particularly enjoy Mario games with too many physical details.

Do I like consoles, would I buy them? No. But they have a purpose.

Do I like and desire Apple products? No. But Apple stuff is very nice to the touch, that is something not often enough mentioned when talking Apple. And there is clarity of purpose.

2 Likes

Having Paul was cool, I agree on consolidating channels. However CES does not have a lot of interesting content. What is interesting you dont get the details on anyway. I enjoy the more hands on reviews when you guys get the stuff and actually play around with it not look at it in a booth.

1 Like

Having Paul was cool I do agree, also best puns ever please more...

1 Like

Go Paul!!! I'd love to see more if him on tek syndicate. I really enjoy his channel, almost as much as tek syndicate's.

1 Like

Hey @wendell or anyone else who knows where to find what I'm looking for...

I searched on the forums and did some googling... I did not see the link for what you were discussing about the Chinese app which "gamifies blind patriotism" that sounds really interesting... through google search the only app that came up was WeChat, was wondering if you could give me some more information about this app as this would be excellent material for an upcoming paper (if somewhat credible), thanks!

Just to draw your attention to it. Don't make Wendell a third wheel. Maybe when you get a new office/work space it will be better. Or after Qain wears off the new car smell. I am not a fanboy of any of you, I like the group as a whole. @logan is the Frontman, @qain is the Lead Guitarist, @wendell is the base player (easily overlooked, though essentiall.), @pistol ( I know it's not here @, been up since 2 A.M. ) is the lighting and sound mixer, Jennifer is the Manager yelling on the phone why the f@@k isn't it here! And if you have the time, and the guy in Vermont has the willingness. Why don't you do a video on how the Tek does it's merchandising. You have that private jet and all now. Just my 2 bits on the subject. Love what you are doing.

3 Likes

The topic of piracy is a rather annoying one for anyone such as myself who lives down under. Australia is slowly becoming better but even now some content is still difficult to acquire through any legal means....and if it is acquireable it requires large subscription fees to pay TV.

Example: Game of Thrones is coming soon........Available only on pay TV with a minimum one year contract and minimum $60 a month (You even pay more for "blockblusters" and "HD" roflmao). Given I have zero interest in anything else this is just baffling.

Although after the episode airs I believe they appear on iTunes now. Shame it only appears on a heavily restricted and insidious platform.

There is no excuse in 2016 to still block shows and cut it up into tiny pieces. Hopefully by the end of 2016 this will change given our "global economy" but I doubt it will be ideal for a long time.

1 Like

I always like to see Paul and Tek Syndicate working together. I'm hoping that they continue the partnership on future content.

1 Like

Split screen only works for co-op, because, for competitive, you can cheat by looking at what the other player is doing.
If a console is made, that can be connected to 2 different TVs, so that each player has it own separate TV, then maybe I'll consider it.
Also, with PCs, you don't need a LAN party, you can play over the Internet with voice chat with your friends.
And, if you really want a LAN party and you play games that are less demanding or older, you don't need to bring a desktop, you can bring a laptop instead, just like Tek Syndicate did in highLANder.

Yeah but the consoles are so weak this generation that their ruining their own exclusives. Halo 5 was very limited by the xbox one. The master chief collection was a mess. The consoles are just to weak to work with in contrast to the generation before them which where almost as strong as the most powerful and expensive hardware out at the time along with the low level api and focus development advantage. The whole reason it took so long to replace the console generation is because consoles will never be that powerful again a perfect example is this generation where we have complete and utter crap.

It used to be that, when consoles launched, they had better specs than similarly priced PCs, because they were sold at a loss, and Sony and Microsoft got their revenue from the 20% tax that they imposed on video games.
But then this happened: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_cluster
People figured out, that they can reduce costs by making servers from PS3s, so they bought a lot of them, but because they didn't buy any games for those consoles, Sony lost a lot of money.
Sony and Microsoft wanted to make sure that this won't happen with current gen consoles, that's why they're not selling them at a loss.
And because the consoles are now underpowered, Microsoft thought it necessary to add gimmicks, like multimedia features and the bundled Kinect, to increase the perceived value.

Being sold at a loss was the the best feature of a console, and without it, I hope that consoles will disappear.

For f*ck's sake can we stop calling everything an app? Although this is not your fault because Wendell called it an app. It is not an application. It is a system put together by 2 biggest social network companies and chinese government. The system gives you a score based on how obedient citizen you are. And it will be compulsory by 2020.
(SOURCE) http://theantimedia.org/china-just-launched-the-most-frightening-game-ever-and-soon-it-will-be-mandatory/

@Logan You don't get the point of consoles at all. From technical stand point, yes they are inferior to PCs in every way but that's not what matters. What is important is that you put in the disk and it works. You can't expect everybody to be tech-loving computer nerd. My uncle is Vet (Doctor for animals) married with 2 small kids. He likes to play games on PS4 if he gets as little as 30min break. He does not have the time nor patience to dick around in the settings of every game he plays. He told me " If i had to tinker with the settings in the console like you do in PC to make sure the game works I would kick the living shit out of it."
See the people don't give a shit about anything else. Consoles are made for sole purpose of stress-free gaming without the need of technical know-how. That's why they will always have place in the market.

1 Like

And on Steam you just click to buy a game and download it, and then click again to start it.

A game only needs to be set up once. He can ask somebody (like you, for example) to set it up, and then he'll never have to change the settings again.

Also, a lot of modern games have hardware detection, and automatically apply recommended settings for the detected configuration.

You have a fair point with the competitive angle on split screen but for me when I'm playing at friends houses it's not about competition. It's about hanging out and just goofing around. You could go on the internet but that isn't really the same as physically hanging out. Laptop LANs are fine but sometimes not all your friends have a laptop or a copy of the game you would like to play. With a console all you need is one person with the console and the game and maybe one more to bring a couple spare controllers. With each solution there are compromises. I feel it would not be that hard for PC to make split screen a thing but until people start talking about it and asking for it console will still have a leg up in that respect.