The Startech USB3HDCAP. A legendary USB3 capture card that won't be forgotten

The European Speedrun Assembly swears by these because it has HDMI, VGA, DVI-D, DVI-I, Component, S-Video and Composite all in one.

Problem? It’s not UVC. You have to install drivers to make it work… It’s also discontinued.

I think it’s time for someone like Epiphan to create a successor to this with UVC protocol so that you don’t have to install drivers anymore.

2 Likes

Do you know if the “component” is Y Pb Pr or RGBs ?

RGB via the DVI-I and an adapter, Y Pb Pr via the port to the right of the DVI. It supports both.

So there are Linux drivers for the chipset (not this specific device) with freely available source code available here for the USB 2.0 variant, but I imagine a good Electronics Engineer might be able to port the code for the USB 3.0 variant with some work and the hardware:

This might be one of the things we can use to get people to switch off of Windows for OBS, cause this capture device is legendary.

Could you expound upon this please?
What kind of adapters would be needed? Source being a GTX 1080 with no DVI-I out, only DVI-D.
I own one of these and I can’t seem to get RGB to work on OBS.

RGB is analog. DVI-D is digital. If you’re trying to output analog RGB you need to downgrade to a GTX 980 or 980 Ti.

You will need DVI to VGA adapters on both ends of the cables.

If you’re sticking to a GTX 1080, use the HDMI port and digital capture.