The small linux problem thread

What is the expected max transfer speed of an NFS Share over a residential router? Im clocking in at 15MB/s

Is there a master/ultimate exports file with a list of examples (kinda like the bash_aliases)

Really depends.

That is pretty good. NFSv4 or older?

I would look at the Red Hat docs as they are very extensive. You can mess yourself up if you donā€™t know what your are doing.

Otherwise, ArchLinux wikiā€¦
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NFS#Tips_and_tricks

NFSv4, and i canā€™t get it to consistently mount. Iā€™m trying move all my SMB shares to NFS.

VMs in the same machine transfer at 50-65MB/s

A post was split to a new topic: How do DUIDs work? (DHCP)

Soā€¦ I finally got a bit of time on my hand to reinstall my PC, been wanting to do that for way too longā€¦

Anyway, I am running into some issues. So I booted the Fedora KDE 36 Live USB (yes I know itā€™s technically Beta butā€¦ not for long), and was going into the Partition Manager just to check whatā€™s there currently, so I wouldnā€™t nuke my /home partition, and Iā€™m seeing this:

So when I installed this thing years ago I was wanting to have separate partitions for root and home. But it seems what instead happened is that it created two volumes(?) and put them in a single partition?

Is there any way to rectify that without having to re-format the entire drive?

And if not, is there still a way to get the Fedora installer to install over the old Fedora install without touching the home volume?

Iā€™m a little lost here why this even happened in the first place since Iā€™m pretty sure I was creating two partitions back then but yeahā€¦ IDK.

Also another odd issue. I still have a Windows drive in this PC (I shrunk the Windows partition and use the rest of the drive as an ext4 partition for games), and I pulled the SATA plug to be safe during installation.
But now the old Fedora install wonā€™t boot unless I reconnect that drive? I meanā€¦ what? There is nothing on that drive that has anything to do with booting, but the system just boots into a maintenance mode insteadā€¦?

On another node, like half a year ago I mentioned how DNF seems to have lost track of my manually installed packages. Well, this is what happens when I dnf history userinstalled on the Live USB bootā€¦

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ dnf history userinstalled
Packages installed by user
aajohan-comfortaa-fonts-3.101-4.fc36.noarch
anaconda-36.16.2-4.fc36.x86_64
anaconda-install-env-deps-36.16.2-4.fc36.x86_64
anaconda-live-36.16.2-4.fc36.x86_64
chkconfig-1.19-2.fc36.x86_64
dracut-live-055-8.fc36.1.x86_64
fedora-release-kde-36-0.16.noarch
fuse-2.9.9-14.fc36.x86_64
initscripts-10.15-1.fc36.x86_64
kde-l10n-17.08.3-12.fc36.noarch
kernel-5.17.0-0.rc7.116.fc36.x86_64
kernel-modules-5.17.0-0.rc7.116.fc36.x86_64
kernel-modules-extra-5.17.0-0.rc7.116.fc36.x86_64
langpacks-en-3.0-21.fc36.noarch
libreoffice-draw-1:7.3.0.3-3.fc36.x86_64
libreoffice-math-1:7.3.0.3-3.fc36.x86_64
mariadb-connector-c-3.2.6-1.fc36.x86_64
mariadb-embedded-3:10.5.13-1.fc36.x86_64
mariadb-server-3:10.5.13-1.fc36.x86_64
mediawriter-4.2.2-4.fc36.x86_64

Soooā€¦ thanks DNF?

Possible that lock means its encrypted?

pv is an lvm physical volume. It looks like thereā€™s a luks container in the pv. Decrypt that and you should see your volume group(s), logical volumes and filesystems.

2 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m fairly sure I set it to encrypt, but only on the home partitionā€¦ I didnā€™t know that would result inā€¦ well this. And I donā€™t think there was a warning about this either :frowning: But well, whatā€™s done is done. Just wondering if I can fix thatā€¦

How would I do that on the Live system? :sweat_smile:

If all goes bad I might just nuke my Windows drive (and the games on it, RIP) to install there and move everything out of /home over later :confused: But Iā€™d like to keep that as a last resort (never know when I might need a Windows install).

In the GUI, idk, right click on the lock or double click on it. Try stuff until it asks you for a passwordā€¦

In a terminal, I donā€™t remember the specific command arguments off the top of my head. The command is cryptsetup though:

Output of lsblk would be helpful.

I believe cryptsetup luksOpen is what you want. You need to find the device name though.

1 Like

Yeah thatā€™s what I tried, click just selects it, doubleclicking just opens the properties, right-click ā†’ mount is greyed out

Checked that earlier but didnā€™t see anything helpful:

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
loop0         7:0    0     2G  1 loop 
loop1         7:1    0     7G  1 loop 
ā”œā”€live-rw   253:3    0     7G  0 dm   /
ā””ā”€live-base 253:4    0     7G  1 dm   
loop2         7:2    0    32G  0 loop 
ā””ā”€live-rw   253:3    0     7G  0 dm   /
sda           8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
ā”œā”€sda1        8:1    0   200M  0 part 
ā”œā”€sda2        8:2    0     1G  0 part 
ā””ā”€sda3        8:3    0 464.6G  0 part 
sdb           8:16   1   7.3G  0 disk 
ā”œā”€sdb1        8:17   1   2.1G  0 part /run/initramfs/live
ā”œā”€sdb2        8:18   1   9.9M  0 part 
ā””ā”€sdb3        8:19   1  20.8M  0 part 
zram0       252:0    0     8G  0 disk [SWAP]

Checked the man page to see if I can find anything non-destructive before using it. Tried cryptsetup status /dev/sda3 and the same with sda, both tell me Device not found :thinking:

I havenā€™t messed with luks in a whileā€¦

Whatā€™s in /dev/mapper?

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ ls /dev/mapper -lah
total 0
drwxr-xr-x.  2 root root     100 Apr  3 14:17 .
drwxr-xr-x. 21 root root    4.4K Apr  3 14:17 ..
crw-------.  1 root root 10, 236 Apr  3  2022 control
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       7 Apr  3 14:17 live-base -> ../dm-4
lrwxrwxrwx.  1 root root       7 Apr  3 14:17 live-rw -> ../dm-3

cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda3

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda3
Device /dev/sda3 does not exist or access denied.
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo !!
sudo cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda3
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda3
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$

Seems to return nothing?

Sorry, what is the exit code of that command?

Also, try running: sudo lvscan -a; sudo pvs; sudo vgs; sudo lvs

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo cryptsetup isLuks /dev/sda3
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ echo $?
[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ sudo lvscan -a; sudo pvs; sudo vgs; sudo lvs
  inactive          '/dev/fedora_localhost-live/root' [50.00 GiB] inherit
  inactive          '/dev/fedora_localhost-live/home' [406.66 GiB] inherit
  inactive          '/dev/fedora_localhost-live/swap' [7.90 GiB] inherit
  PV         VG                    Fmt  Attr PSize   PFree
  /dev/sda3  fedora_localhost-live lvm2 a--  464.56g    0 
  VG                    #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree
  fedora_localhost-live   1   3   0 wz--n- 464.56g    0 
  LV   VG                    Attr       LSize   Pool Origin Data%  Meta%  Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
  home fedora_localhost-live -wi------- 406.66g                                                    
  root fedora_localhost-live -wi-------  50.00g                                                    
  swap fedora_localhost-live -wi-------   7.90g

I also just noticed something. In the partition manager thereā€™s the fedora_localhost-live on the left, which is actually the LVM partition on that drive. It tells me itā€™s mounted and so are the individual volumes:

Butā€¦

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ ls -lah /run/media/liveuser/
total 0
drwxr-x---+ 2 root root 40 Apr  3 14:17 .
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 60 Apr  3 13:57 ..

Iā€™m confused :thinking:

It looks like fedora live somehow inherited your pre-existing logical volumes which I donā€™t really understand.

Good news is that it looks like you did separate your home folder as intended.

Iā€™ve got to go, but there are definitely others here who can help you through your lvm issues. Iā€™m not very fresh with that stuff right now.

1 Like

Fedora probably detected the partition on the Windows drive and put it in /etc/fstab to automatically mount it, in case you want to use it. If a file system in fstab canā€™t be mounted, the system drops to single-user mode to let you sort it out. It doesnā€™t know which partitions are important, and which are not.

Yeah I did figure that, but itā€™s still in one partition even if itā€™s 2 volumes. And Iā€™m not sure if that helps me install F36 over the original F33 volume :confused:

When using the ā€œcustomā€ mode in the installer, all the partitions on that drive also show up and I can sorta set up the mount points myself:

And as long as I leave ā€œReformatā€ unchecked that should leave the data on it untouched? But for some reason I canā€™t do btrfs on the root partition/volume (which was one of the reasons for the reinstall, just to play around with it):

Is btrfs not allowed on an LVM volume? Because by default new mounts points are created using btrfs when creating everything from scratch.

Yeah thatā€™s what I was thinking although I am sure it was definitely not on automount (did show up in the Dolphin sidebar tho), so why it holds up there is a bit weird to meā€¦ not that it matters much though.

The fsck fs_passno (number in sixth field of fstab) being non-zero and non-blank can cause a boot failure, too, even if the file system is set to noauto.

1 Like

Hmā€¦ so the Fedora installer has a secondary tool for partitioning (Blivet GUI, seems to be aimed at more versed users). And in there, I can actually delete the root volume and Iā€™m getting the 50 gigs as ā€œfree spaceā€, but they are still inside the LVM group and I donā€™t seem to be able to shrink that?

And when I create a btrfs partition on that freespace (Blivet lets me do that, the other tool doesnā€™t as per above), it looks like this:

Which looks weird and I donā€™t know if thatā€™s correct (the number seems to randomise everytime I delete/create a btrfs volume there).

Ugh, man this is really bothering me cause I had a really good run with Fedora so far :weary: