The small linux problem thread

Clonezilla is what I have experience with. I have been using it for over a decade. I actually met the lead developers a couple of times at Linuxfest Northwest.

This is such a life saver. I have used this to push to facilities from coast to coast

2 Likes

Cobbler is similar to Fog, although I think has fewer features. Both use PXE/TFTP to provision operating systems. Havenā€™t used either, but just to give you something to compareā€¦

https://cobbler.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Setting up a PXE boot server manually is also not terribly difficult.

This is the part I donā€™t have confidence in.

apt list --upgradable
Listing... Done
linux-headers-amd64/stable-security 5.10.103-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.10.84-1]
linux-image-amd64/stable-security 5.10.103-1 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.10.84-1]

I am on Debian 11 Stable branch. Just unsure if this may break my Nvidia proprietary driver install. From what I recall theses packages got installed when I installed the Nvidia propretary driver to compile the kernel interface.

Hah! I spoke too f***ing soon!

About two hours after that message, it crashed. Whatā€™s the next step for diagnosis?

Nvidia is to be treated as a ā€œif it works, cool, else youā€™re fuckedā€ on Linux at this point. Nvidia has no actual guarantees to actually keep working with newer kernels etc.

There is a reason most in the FOSS camp are advocating using Radeon over Nvidia, Nvidia is likely to work but no guarantees while Radeon is almost guaranteed to work out of box these days, with FOSS drivers pretty much better in all respects than the proprietary drivers. So if you want reliability, sell your Nvidia and get an AMD card.

Thatā€™s not to say AMD is perfect of course, just thatā€¦ Well, itā€™s the difference between being a business and doing homebrew vs buying from Dell, where Nvidia is the homebrew.

2 Likes

Only if this part was that easy in the current market. I regret not buying an RX580 several years agoā€¦ I think for the time being if apt-get holds back the update I will trust the wisdom of the package manager.

Any opinions on the current status of nouveau? Especially with regards to support for older cards that nVidia might have dropped from their driversā€¦? Got some antiques that I clearly wonā€™t be gaming on (nothing recent at any rate), but would still like to use regardless.

Basically, The 700 series is guaranteed to work with nouveau and you really should not notice a difference. NV started signing their firmware with the 900 series and so your mileage may vary with nouveau. Anything 1000 and newer, if you only want basic VESA compatibility, that is fine. If you need 3D acceleration and it needs to be performant, then you will need the official driver.

1 Like

This is where reading NVā€™s release notes will come in. If it breaks, it is because of NV and their speed of supporting the newer kernels.

If apt is holding it back, then that means that there is a dependency issue possibly, but it would tell you that. Unlike advanced/Bleeding Edge distributions, Debian will show you if it is going to uninstall or remove something and gives you the ability to say no and cancel out.

Also, if you are going to live the NV life, you are going to need to be able to reinstall your drivers and what not as there are other things that can cause incompatibility or prompt removal of your drivers.

1 Like

Nouveau started to get some traction, then Nvidia said ā€œWTF, Free drivers are getting better on some things? Well canā€™t have that now can we???ā€ and implemented Firmware locks that pretty much leaves the Nouveau project stranded.

According to the Nouveau Featurematrix the last supported card series was Maxwell (9xx), but seems like the power management remains to be implemented which means running the cards in a fast state is still a no-go Zone.

Here are the latest benchmarks from 2 years ago: The Open-Source NVIDIA/Nouveau vs. NVIDIA Linux Driver At The End Of 2019 - Poor But A Lot Of Hope - Phoronix

To paraphrase a certain famous kernel dev: FuckThank you, Nvidia. FuckThank you.

4 Likes

Sounds like I should be good(-ish), newest card I have is still a GTX970. Oldest nVidia card is a GeForce 3 or 4 (would have to fire up the box to know for sure as I had to replace the cooler, so kinda hard to tell from the outside)

But guess that cements the decision to get an AMD GPU, what with how Windows 11 is shaping up to be even worse than Windows 10, so might move my gaming to Linux as well, eventually. Tempted to wait for next generation so AMD hopefully has decent raytracing performance, but thatā€™s an entirely different kettle of fish :wink:

2 Likes

Anyone know if/where networkd stores dhcp client leases?

I am trying to pull leases from hosts running a variety of operating systems and Iā€™ve found .lease files in various locations on every OS except for Linux/networkd.

Nvm, itā€™s /run/systemd/netif/leases.

4 Likes

I use terminator as my terminal emulator. I have been given a Mac that I have to use. In the past Iā€™ve used iTerm for Mac.

Can anyone recommend a better terminal emulator for mac which is comparable to terminator?

cottn

1 Like

Highly recommend Alacritty. You can use it on Linux as well, even with the same config file if youā€™re clever.

2 Likes

How would I make CUPS print trough http from Windows XP client?
Man page says to specify DefaultEncryption Never but it is either being ignored, or I am specifying it in the wrong place, they are not very clear to where should that line be, so I added it at the top, as seen in the GitHub issue below.

Googling around just lands me on how to enable encryption, and one GitHub issue reports something similar. Some of the comments say the problem is resolved in version 2.3.1, and that is the one Iā€™m trying to run on Ubuntu server, but no luck so far.

From XP I get nothing when I try to connect to the printer like this http://CUPS-IP:631/PRINTER-NAME, and via HTTPS, CUPS just logs a few:

Unable to encrypt connection: A packet with illegal or unsupported version was received. presumably because of Windows XP not supporting latest SSL/TLS/Whatever protocol.
Connecting from Fedora client works fine.

Did you try using an IPP instead of HTTP URL?

Also, did you install drivers for cups on the XP machine?

2 Likes

I did try ipp:// with and without port number, same as http:// just errors out immediately, https:// takes a few seconds to error out, and that is the only time CUPS machine logs anything.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m following? My understanding is all I need to do from XP is ā€œconnect to a printer on the Internet or on home or office networkā€ as they put it and use any generic postscript driver. CUPS would then translate to whatever the printer is on the other side. Or am I wrong about that?

1 Like

I just have in the back of my mind something about XP needing Drivers to properly work with CUPS, might have changed though.

1 Like

Easy solution is to install cups-lpd on the Linux system, then print via lpd from XP.

1 Like

No luck with disabling encryption or getting cups-lpd to run on Ubuntu 20.04. Just for fun I tried 16.04 and it works by just disabling encryption.

Now some would argue that 16.04 is a bad idea, but Windows XP is also a bad idea. They both run in VMs on the same host connected via internal network only so who cares.

1 Like