The small linux problem thread

So this is a driver issue then and not a whole lot I can do about it?

Forgot to add to my post:
Intel i5-4670K
Gigabyte ga-z97-dh3

I guess I will just monitor it for now and then make another plan if it becomes more of an issue. Maybe get a different network card.

Any recommendations for an alternative network cards to use with Proxmox?

Again, I don’t know if the e1000e driver problem is related to your system.

You can go to Intel download center and build from the tarball, or use
this build from git. The git repository includes dkms integration, which was a pain to do manually. It now “just works”.

I’m still quite new to linux and it’s been quite a frustrating journey to get where I am now and I don’t want to risk messing up the setup now since we are actually using it at this point. I would rather just get a new 1Gb network card and call it a day.

Can someone please tell me where is all of kde’s theme files’ directories? They seem to be all over the place. I’m talking about global themes, color schemes, application style, plasma style, gtk style, cursor, and icons.

They are. I don’t know where the themes themselves are, but icon themes are located in /usr/share/icons. They are split because many desktop environments, file managers and other programs can make use of the same theme and icons, so you don’t have to re-download / duplicate all into each programs’ install folder. It can be confusing at times, but they are there for a reason.

After a second look, it appears like the folders gtk and qt5 are also located in /usr/share, probably for the same reason.

As well, most stuff in /usr/share is overridden by each user’s ~/.local/share. So, if user settings are used to get new icons, they’ll go in ~/.local/share/icons.

If you are changing icons, be aware of icon caches. A change might not have an effect because the old icon is coming out of a cache. My KDE uses ~/.cache/icon-cache.kcache, and I just delete it.

1 Like

I also found ~/.kde which seems to be about color-schemes. In /usr/share/ there’s also a color-schemes folder too. There’s a good deal of legacy stuffs that confuses me too.

It’s not “legacy” as it’s still part of the current model (with maybe the exception being nixOS).

~/.kde only exists now for compatibility with apps built for KDE 4, before about 2015. When KDE went to “KDE plasma” stuff got moved to .config and .local/share to conform to desktop standards.

Those standards say where icon files are meant to go, so one can try to use Gnome icon themes with KDE; in the past I’ve sort of patched together icons from various Gnome themes to work with KDE, because I strongly dislike the default KDE Breeze icons. You can go deep with hundreds of forks of the big themes, they’re like Linux distros on a smaller scale.

2 Likes

Hi guys I don’t know where to start with this one, but I have a new Alderlake system (with Nvidia gpu…) that refuses to shutdown at all. I was reading it might be todo with PCI device poweroff. Anything else I can provide?

Oooof… Since Alder Lake is a brand spanking new architecture, lots of things that could go wrong here.

First off, with any hardware newer than 6 months, you pretty much will need to run the most recent kernel (5.15.4 as of last Sunday).

Second, start by upgrading to 5.15.4, uname -a will tell you all about which kernel you are currently using.

Third, what does your dmesg say if this problem persists?

1 Like

also, after the kernel upgrade, if it still does not shutdown, run ‘shutdown -h now’ in a terminal. this might show you an error that is traceable. NOTE: depending on distro it may need to be ‘sudo shutdown -h now’

@Zedicus With the -h flag on shutdown get same output as before. Reaches this point:

@wertigon I’m on Opensuse tumbleweed running 5.15.3 but I’ve also tried 5.16rc2 without Nvidia.

That looks like a pretty complete shutdown, it just isn’t getting the poweroff signal to the mobo which is most likely because of how new your hardware is.

From what I can tell, you should have no issues manually powering down the system at that point since the disks are synced.

2 Likes

that is literally the very last step. it looks like the ACPI power off signal is failing. there is a bad hack you could add to the GRUB file to make this ‘work’. i would consider just manually powering down the rig when it says ‘powering off’ for now, as i would imagine a fix for this to be pushed fairly soon.

2 Likes

this is propper new guy question…
the hosts file…

some rooms on try hack me have boxes that require you to edit host files.
the only info they give about why, is it auto resolves the ip address to the host.

does this mean it is bypassing the dns check?
or are you actually impersonating the host

reason im confused is some of the rooms say add
127.0.0.1 thm.roomname

while others
10.10.10.11 thm.roomname

are they basically doing the same thing or is there a diff?
both rooms can only be accessed via the vpn. on tun0

Hosts file is bypassing DNS only if your client doesn’t have some settings to never check it, or built-in priority of DNS (especially software that uses DNS over HTTPS). Without getting too much into detail, yeah, in normal scenarios, the hosts file is the first thing that a computer would look on.

Probably, but if a DNS entry for an IP or host doesn’t exist to begin with, it doesn’t “bypass” it properly speaking.

The hosts file is widely used when you have to use a service that doesn’t get resolved, or if you want a shortcut for a service, or lately I’ve seen people using the hosts file to block sites they don’t want to see. All cases are valid.

This is the address of the localhost. That means, this IP address is the address of your own PC, no matter what you are running (Windows, Linux, Android, macOS etc., they will all have the 127.0.0.1 address). This is mostly used for internal communication with services running on a single host that need to communicate with each other, without relying on an external IP address.

So if you are not running a service or program on your own PC, 127.0.0.1 is basically useless.

If this is a service that you access via a VPN, I believe the second one makes sense. The top level domain “roomname” doesn’t exist, this is just an extension used on a local network, so it is safe to use that.

For example of how a hosts file works, if you are not running Firefox, or if you run Firefox without DoH enabled, you could add: 104.26.8.163 google.com in your hosts file and whenever you’d want to access google, you would instead be redirected to forum . level1techs . com (with the caveat that the site will spew out errors due to the TLS certificates, but that’s besides the point, if the forum didn’t use encryption, you’d be able to do that and it would work).

Going back to thm.roomname, again, if you are using a VPN to access a service, I believe the second option should be what you are looking for - unless the IP is actually your IP on your VPN tunnel, which then means you are doing the same thing as using 127.0.0.1.

One thing I did not think of, is that, if you are running a custom VPN software, it might be featuring some other software that could be running some kind of proxy or something, to a website or chat or something. So that means that 127.0.0.1 could work if that’s the case and would probably be preferred, unless the service itself only listens to the IP on the tun0 interface, so that would mean you have to use the IP address you are being given on tun0.

If the service does run on your own IP address, it is usually recommended to use the localhost IP (127.0.0.1), because the IP address that you receive on the tun0 interface might change, just like it would on a local network via DHCP (unless you got a static mapping on your DHCP server, or in the case of the VPN, a static mapping of your IP to your user account, which it usually is the case, because VPNs like OpenVPN especially like to cache IPs used by user accounts).

Hope this has put things into perspective.

1 Like

thanks.

1 Like

Okay, I added a few savoury1 PPAs to my Ubuntu install and somehow it automatically installed pipewire. The consequence: MPV now drops a ton of frames and my sample rate got kicked back to 48000.

I noticed both video and audio drops using pipewire so I am not happy. Had to purge the package to get my good old Pulseaudio back.

I couldn’t figure out JACK, and I can’t figure out Pipewire neither.

1 Like

Pipewire is in every way a better infrastructure than PulseAudio. Really LOW (as in, single digit MS) latency, a much, much simpler plumbing and, well… Just less shenanigans overall. Pulse will be dead as a doornail within a couple of years, and so will Jack be, most probably.

Here is a success story video in case you’re interested:

2 Likes