The small linux problem thread

While I agree, reading the post they are aware of the issue/risk.
A question was asked and providing the documentation for it is perfectly fine. Whether that is a good idea or not is a whole different issue.
Also to my knowledge that is an issue when running the SMB server in SMB1 mode, not as a client.

According to the man and the conf file it is just disabled by default, not removed entirely. How accurate/up-to-date that is I can’t say of course.

I have deleted the folder, but if it happens again I’ll try that.
I was using gcc11 on fedora34. The filesystem was btrfs.

I know this is the small linux problem thread but can we all appreciate not having to deal with win 10 problems right now?

1 Like

No because I also have Windows systems, both physical and virtual.

Windows 10 problems right now are minimal for me. The worst one I have to deal with is getting the Vulkan drivers working correctly on an ASUS ROG Zephyrus Duo 15 SE GX551QS-0131A5900HX

Vulkan games work if the AMD drivers have just been installed, and fail if the Nvidia drivers were the last installed.

On the other hand, I am scared to even try installing a Linux on that laptop. With two variable refresh rate displays and a combination of Nvidia and AMD iGPU and an AMD NVMe RAID configuration, I have no idea what Linux would do with it. Let alone the “special” heat management software the laptop runs to keep the CPU and GPU from burning each other up.

That’s been an issue for a while now, the Helper Discord for the rpcs3 emulator has a bot command specifically for that issue :facepalm:

I’m already expecting a call from my dad next time my mom’s laptop updates the Windows version when Windows to decides to update the WiFi drivers yet again despite the fact the PCIe-ID for the device is blacklisted for driver installation (the newer drivers are bugged and crash every so often and the only fix is a reboot, hence the older driver version).

The leaked Windows 11 bar looks like someone started to configure KDE and gave up.

6 Likes

They already outsourced QA, I wonder if this is an attempt to outsource dev as well?

1. Release quite obviously incomplete and buggy work
  2. Wait for a tinkerer to reverse engineer the legacy spaghetti that your own devs dont know how to untangle to fix it
  3. They post their fix to some online forum
  4. Microsoft copies the work and releases it in a security update with the new “Candy Crush” game - which also deletes the root partition for users who used the unofficial patch
  5. Profit?
1 Like

They should have probably went with Cairo Desktop and call it a day.

1 Like

While not exactly a Linux issue, I just (re)acquired the SATA bug on my system with too many HDDs (hardware issue). I don’t yet have Alertmanager set up in Prometheus, so I don’t know for how long it’s been there (not more than a week, I know I check Proxmox status whenever I mess with anything in it).

dmesg output
[  699.941647] ata3.00: status: { DRDY }
[  699.942353] ata3: hard resetting link
[  705.873287] ata3: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
[  708.157341] ata3: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
[  708.159869] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/33
[  708.159886] ata3: EH complete
[  708.197458] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x400 SErr 0x4890000 action 0xe frozen
[  708.198300] ata3.00: irq_stat 0x08400040, interface fatal error, connection status changed
[  708.198976] ata3: SError: { PHYRdyChg 10B8B LinkSeq DevExch }
[  708.199643] ata3.00: failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED
[  708.200309] ata3.00: cmd 60/00:50:00:08:00/01:00:00:00:00/40 tag 10 ncq dma 131072 in
                        res 40/00:50:00:08:00/00:00:00:00:00/40 Emask 0x10 (ATA bus error)
[  708.201706] ata3.00: status: { DRDY }
[  708.202400] ata3: hard resetting link
[  714.145372] ata3: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)

And after a while of trying to go slow, it just s***s itself

dmesg
[ 1093.944417] ata3.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x0
[ 1093.945033] ata3.00: irq_stat 0x40000001
[ 1093.945577] ata3.00: failed command: READ DMA EXT
[ 1093.946125] ata3.00: cmd 25/00:00:00:48:e0/00:01:e8:00:00/e0 tag 7 dma 131072 in
                        res 53/04:00:00:48:e0/00:01:e8:00:00/e0 Emask 0x1 (device error)
[ 1093.947226] ata3.00: status: { DRDY SENSE ERR }
[ 1093.947780] ata3.00: error: { ABRT }
[ 1093.953194] ata3.00: configured for UDMA/33
[ 1093.953268] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdl] tag#7 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[ 1093.953300] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdl] tag#7 Sense Key : Illegal Request [current]
[ 1093.953303] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdl] tag#7 Add. Sense: Unaligned write command
[ 1093.953321] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdl] tag#7 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 e8 e0 48 00 00 01 00 00
[ 1093.953359] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sdl, sector 3907012608 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x0 phys_seg 16 prio class 0
[ 1093.958897] ata3: EH complete

I fixed this a while ago by just checking the cables, worked for about half a year or more at this point. Probably due to vibrations and being moved around (and a small earthquake a while ago), something moved just enough to mess the connection. 11 HDDs do make the case vibrate, even with all the rubbery pads that keep them in place. Anyway, the last HDD is a hot-spare and I had it there just for these kinds of situations (all heil ZFS - and yes, I know ZFS is not the only solution to support hot-spares). While my zpool is “degraded,” it’s just because the original HDD is not being detected correctly.

Nothing I can do about it. And funnily enough, it’s not the add-on SATA cards (3 cards with 2 ports each) that act up, but the build-in port in the motherboard. And this is the reason why I decommissioned this server from production at work, it used to be a bare md array with 4 disks (raid 10) which kept constantly corrupting data of some oracle dbs. At first I didn’t look too much into it, it was just a case of the server being extremely old and the HDDs also having a long runtime, so it was about time they were replaced. For home use, it was just fine for a while. And while I could solve the issue by adding a sane controller with mini-SAS to avoid the cabling issues, I think this is just a rare occasion when the SATA connection just plainly sucks. Someone was telling me on the forum a year ago that these kinds of issues happen pretty often with SATA with many disks in 1 system. This is the only time I encountered an issue where the port half works and the only other issue I encountered was with a dead SATA port on an old motherboard. Yeah, mini-SAS is better and I would have preferred it, but eh, this worked for what I needed.

smartctl output
Read SMART Data failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Status command failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: UNKNOWN!
SMART Status, Attributes and Thresholds cannot be read.

Read SMART Log Directory failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read SMART Error Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Read SMART Self-test Log failed: scsi error badly formed scsi parameters

Selective Self-tests/Logging not supported

I was messing with my Proxmox cluster and wanted to enable replication (and discovered I actually wasn’t using ZFS as intended in Proxmox, but just a directory and couldn’t enable replication - I usually just run VMs on separate NASes) when I saw I got a degraded array. Again, all data is fine, the hot-spare is doing it’s job. I never thought I’d love to have a hot-spare inside my system, I’m usually against hot-spares, but this was the only solution I could come up with because I won’t be able to touch the system for a while and if something goes wrong, I can’t physically replace disks.

For the problem I am currently facing, I tried changing the cable with a new one, it didn’t work. As I was afraid, it’s an issue with the port on the motherboard. So, I have 2 more disks that could fail. And just when I wanted to replicate the data on another storage pool. Just my luck…

Update: messed around and managed to eject the spare instead of the badly detected disk :facepalm: , so now it’s resilvering (15% in 13 min, about 50min left on a 2TB disk in RAIDz2). Can I get dumber than this? Well, that wouldn’t be out of the question. Anyway, I had the VMs powered off during my debugging, so shouldn’t see any additional read/write activity during the resilvering. I can’t wait to move and replace my infrastructure with something saner and more portable. Might just go RAID1/10 with SSDs if I have the money. I’ve recently heard of Asustor, they seem pretty bog-standard hardware (Intel Apollo Lake Celerons), anyone ran Linux or FreeBSD on them? Or you can’t spin your own OS on them, like you can on Synology? I might end up just building my own mini-ITX NAS if not.

Since I switched to an active-passive bond network none of the cli dns tools work (nslookup, dig).

I am using systemd-networkd and systemd-resolved on Arch Linux.

DNS resolution works fine for ping and web browsing, I just can’t nslookup anything from the terminal.

Error Messages:

dig: ;; global options: +cmd ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

nslookup: ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

resolvectl:

Global
           Protocols: +LLMNR +mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
    resolv.conf mode: foreign
Fallback DNS Servers: 1.1.1.1 9.9.9.10 8.8.8.8 2606:4700:4700::1111 2620:fe::10 2001:4860:4860::8888

Link 2 (enp4s0)
Current Scopes: none
     Protocols: -DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported

Link 3 (enp6s0)

Link 4 (bond0)
    Current Scopes: DNS LLMNR/IPv4
         Protocols: +DefaultRoute +LLMNR -mDNS -DNSOverTLS DNSSEC=no/unsupported
Current DNS Server: 10.0.10.1
       DNS Servers: 10.0.10.1

Link 5 (enp10s0f0)

Link 6 (enp10s0f1)

Link 7 (wlp5s0)

Edit: LOL, fixed it just after I posted the message. My /etc/resolv.conf was overwritten by NetworkManager previously and it was wrong. Replaced the contents with the /etc/resolv.conf from another Arch system:

# This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.
#
# This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients to the
# internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all
# configured search domains.
#
# Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers
# currently in use.
#
# Third party programs should typically not access this file directly, but only
# through the symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a
# different way, replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
#
# See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported modes of
# operation for /etc/resolv.conf.

nameserver 127.0.0.53
options edns0 trust-ad
search .

Edit 2: Even better, I removed the /etc/resolv.conf file and symlinked the /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf to it, as it is meant to be.

1 Like

Yeah, I had systemd and network-manager conflicts before on Ubuntu and Fedora. Also, if you can help, stop adding nslookup / net-tools to your system. Just use the built-in tools. On Debian and Void Linux, getent hosts domain.tld does the job perfectly. Nslookup has its uses, but for just simple dns queries, to me it’s a hassle to install additional packages on every system.

2 Likes

I want to reformat my home file server (JBOD). But i want to jump from ubuntu to debian for the 32bits.

I assume that its a small jump to make ie. fstab, user config, smb, ssh, crypt key files and other basic stuff are all the same and could be copied over. Am I wrong?

I’ve only used ubuntu (99.98%) and wondering if there are syntax or folder structure differences that could trip me up.

Yay no snaps!!

Yay installed debian and now i try to install ssh, smb, etc and now there are unmet dependancies…

It’s a headless system, how do i get all the software i need on it?

If you had a 64 bit system and are now trying to run 32, you need to turn on mult-arch support, install the 32bit equivalent of the packages already installed (including kernel) and then boot into the 32 bit environment. If you want to run a 64bit kernel with a 32 userspace, the same applies.

Once you are confident that your system runs, you uninstall all 64bit items and then you should be good.

https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Thanks @Mastic_Warrior, I installed the 32bit OS as my base install.

Okay,but i still have software dependency issues that i don’t understand how to address.

1 Like

I recently added a small SSD to my desktop and of course it reordered all the device names (/dev/sdX) and booted to an emergency shell. The problem was that I had mounted /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab, which had now become /dev/sdc1. So I thought I’d try to mount via UUID. I ran blkid /dev/sdc1 from the root shell and got this :

/dev/sdc1: LABEL=“VIDEO” UUID=“A640-FFC0” BLOCK_SIZE=“512” TYPE=“exfat” PARTLABEL=“Basic data partition” PARTUUID=“d0bbf865-0be0-4d70-9a80-4f79dc56599a”

So I zapped /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab and replaced it with UUID=“A640-FFC0”, which would not boot properly. Then I tried replacing it with UUID=“d0bbf865-0be0-4d70-9a80-4f79dc56599a”, and it still would not boot correctly. Finally I gave in and just updated the /dev/sdb1 identifier with /dev/sdc1 and the thing booted.

So what is the correct UUID from that output to use? When do I use the 8-digit one and 32-digit one? Why did it fail when I tried to boot either of the UUIDs displayed by blkid?

i’m assuming its a debian or ubuntu install

From my fstab file the difference looks like the eight digit is the efi and the 32s are everything ext4 disk.

can your post your fstab file? are you boot flags right?

1 Like

i’ve looked around for a tutorial or an example of how to resove dependancies and install software but i haven’t been able to find one.

Can someone direct me to where a clear example is given?

As requested, /etc/fstab…

UUID=1a5b33ce-ce01-42c8-a864-8bd2ff1d2bad /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
UUID=7AD4-AF96          /boot/efi               vfat    umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
UUID=e5e06cb9-6df1-4444-bc33-e7a85a652364       /home   ext4    defaults        1       1
LABEL="VIDEO"   /run/media/jhelzei/VIDEO exfat uid=1000,gid=1000,rw 1 1

^This version actually boots. /dev/sdc1 also works in place of LABEL=“VIDEO”. Both UUIDs generated by blkid do not.

Run thefindfs command with the UUID= or PARTUUID= set to that exfat partition, and see if it is able to locate it. That should give you something to debug.

Do you have ExFat support in the kernel, or is it only the FUSE module?

example

apt install kernel-image:i386 linux-image:amd64 kernel-image:armhf

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

**Edit
You can install apt-query and do something like this

dpkg-query -f '${binary:Package}\n' -W > packages_list.txt

then you can use sed and add the :<arch> to each line and then do something like

xargs -a packages_list.txt apt install

To install that.