The small linux problem thread

Thanks for the digging. I probably is not a widespread problem, probably not too many people try to hotplug things to pass it through kvm guests.

I’ll try it tomorrow, too tired today. But yes, it seems a little hacky. There are a few of these kind of scripts out there to hotplug devices into a kvm guest, but none that I have seen use locking.

Yeah, pretty weird right. The free output shows that server has 125GB “total” memory, but the lsmem says it has 130GB.

The amount of memory attached to the server is 130.

For more fun, try free --giga it typically shows there more free memory than is even attached to the server.

Can i force the primary gpu Fedora uses for desktop at startup? For example i want to use a low power Amd gpu in the 1st pci-e x16 slot and then put my 3080 in the lower slot(better for cooling too with 2x200mm fans blowing right at it). In the bios i set the 3080 as primary so i can boot windows directly without changing the bios every time. Also easier for a VFIO setup i want to mess with.

Or is it just easier to set the Nvidia gpu as primary in windows itself instead of the bios? Mobo is a Gigabyte X570 pro if that matters. Typing it out makes me think windows might be easier.

Seeking any Gentoo People. Does anyone have helpful advice or helpful docs on compiling opensource software using GCC for ppc64le architecture? Specifically, compiling Python 3.9. If the answer is RTFM, please show me the manual - happy to read it.

literally impossible

4x32 is 128

1 Like

Macs do this too. There’s always an extra ~2GB in sysctl. I don’t think it’s swap either.

This really should be in the linux suck thread - lol.

Why is it that there’s 5 different ways to list memory but none are correct?

What does:

free -b #bytes
free --giga #gigabytes rather than gibibytes
lsmem -b #bytes
cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i memtotal #total in kilobytes

show?

1 Like
[root@mainpve: ~]#free -b
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:    135079550976 76080762880 53760282624    49901568  5238505472 57663483904
Swap:   10737414144           0 10737414144
[root@mainpve: ~]#free --giga
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:            135          76          53           0           5          57
Swap:            10           0          10
[root@mainpve: ~]#lsmem -b
RANGE                                         SIZE  STATE REMOVABLE   BLOCK
0x0000000000000000-0x00000000efffffff   4026531840 online       yes    0-29
0x0000000100000000-0x000000200fffffff 133412421632 online       yes 32-1025

Memory block size:            134217728
Total online memory:       137438953472
Total offline memory:                 0
[root@mainpve: ~]#cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i memtotal
MemTotal:       131913624 kB
1 Like

Depends on what the actual issue is. I don’t have access to any PPC hardware, so if it’s extremely PPC specific there’s little change I’ll be able to help. However if it’s in the general “building for weird architectures” area, I do have a few UltraSPARC systems running Gentoo…

It’s ppc64le architecture. Do you have any general advice you have for building software from source? Any docs which helped you? I guess, if there’s helpful docs for building for ARM it might not be exactly the same as ppc64le, but it’s an alternative architecture.

This is something I would like be more knowledgeable about so any advice or guides would be appreciated.

free -b
135079550976 bytes = 135.079550976 GB 

free --giga
total 135      #wtf?

lsmem -b
137438953472 = 137.438953472 GB

cat /proc/meminfo | grep -i memtotal

131913624 kB = 131.913624GB

Yup that all makes sense…

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused at this point as to what you’re trying to do.

Do you want to cross-compile to ppc64le from some other architecture? In that case a cross-compilation guide might be appropriate.

Or, are you trying to install Gentoo on ppc64le (looks like there is some support, but very little documentation that I can see)? In the that case this might be useful. In general he appears to just be following the normal ppc64 installation process, though my experience is that those for fringe architectures can be a bit…out-of-date, at times.

Of particular note are the CFLAGS and CHOST he sets and the fact that he appears to use the regular ppc64 keywords. He does run ~arch (“testing”) though so that’s something you might want to avoid unless you’re up for even more breakage fun than just running a platform with fewer users. I run stable on my SPARCs with specific packages keyworded.

I’ve found ppc64le profiles in Gentoo’s Git repository, so there might be some available if you do eselect profiles list on the appropriate step in the installation process.

Python 3.9 is just in the Portage tree for ppc64, so installing a ppc64le Gentoo should get you access to that (assuming it’ll build, of course, not sure what the status of ppc64le support in general is), but might be a bit much if cross-compiling was what you were actually after :wink:

Void Linux PPC is a port of Void maintained by @q66 on
https://voidlinux-ppc.org/
But building packages aside from usual make, is a little bit Void specific using xbps-src (which there is documentation for). But for day-to-day use, Void has you covered with most of the packages you could need in the main repo.

1 Like

I need to start trying to get Void-PPC to boot on PS3 again. Rene from T2SDE just made a new stable mainline kernel release that boots in stages to get Linux running on the limited RAM in the PS3 and other low memory devices.

1 Like

Hi everyone :smiley:, I was wondering if there is a way to enable the use of Samba 1 in Linux (Pop OS)? A user guide will be appreciated. I have an old Media Device that uses Samba 1 ( WD TV Live Hub 1TB) .

I have searched the web for doing this but mostly it uses smb2 +. I know that Samba 1 is old and insecure but my device only works with it. :frowning:

Thanks for the support!! :hugs:

I had a folder that was cursed.
If I clone a git repository into any directory and compile it, the final executable always has the same md5 checksum.
There is a single folder in homedir/Documents/ where compilation produces a different checksum.
This wasn’t a fluke, the behavior was persistent across reboots, folder renaming and moving, it also affected sub-directories too.
What is even happening.

I had to remove and re-make the folder to fix this.

Have you checked the Linux bible :wink: It is not explicitly mentioned, but there is one issue where it mentions to re-enable SMB1 (see link). For a list of possible values of the client min protocol configuration see man smb.conf. The full list is listed under client max protocol there.

Another way is mentioned in a different issue further up, which suggests using the -m switch on smbclient.

Looking into man smbclient the -m switch sets the highest SMB protocol level to connect:

-m|–max-protocol protocol
This allows the user to select the highest SMB protocol level that smbclient will use to connect to the server. By default this is set to highest available SMB3 protocol version. To connect using SMB2 or SMB1 protocol, use the strings SMB2 or NT1 respectively. Note that to connect to a Windows 2012 server with encrypted transport selecting a max-protocol of SMB3 is required.

Which also suggests setting client min protocol = CORE seems to be a bit overkill and client min protocol = NT1 should be enough.

Is the atime, mtime or ctime on the folder in the future? make depends on accurate file times to do smart optimization. If so, you might fix it with: find . -exec touch {} \;

Does lsattr on the folder show anything strange? Could be it is inheriting very restrictive permissions, making some files (or folders) inaccessible.

That’s all I can come up with, assuming it’s only compiling inside that folder which fails.

1 Like

I think samba might have officially deprecated smbv1 a while back but whatever samba version ships with Debian probably still supports it.

Whenever you read advice telling you to enable SMB1 or to permanently disable SELinux, or to set chattr 777 on /var/www, just ask yourself if you really enjoy having your computer hacked.

After answering that question, just say No. Don’t do it.

1 Like