The small linux problem thread

Hey there, I’ve just assembled the hardware and installed debian sid. Frames dropped during gaming, and that’s when I noticed that sensors reports the following:

amdgpu-pci-0800

Adapter: PCI adapter

vddgfx: 775.00 mV

fan1: 65535 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3200 RPM)

Temps were at 102C, spooky.

This fan RPM value remains in idle state too. I’m trying to figure what’s going on here. I’ve checked /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon/hwmon0/and pwm1_enable is 2, and the 65535 value is coming from fan1_target. Coming from a business laptop, I don’t understand why this is happening. There seems to be no middle-ground in the sensor values, on boot it mostly starts at 0, but as soon as I fire up something to push the GPU temps, fan1 value jumps to 65535 but doesn’t actually spin up the fans. Since the while cannot be echoed into, I figure it takes the value from fan1_input (also at 65535). however, that file is read only, and I don’t know where it’s supposed to be getting its value from.

I’ve consulted https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/amdgpu.html but I couldn’t find a solution to this problem. I’ve lurked this thread as well as r/linux+gaming for some input, but it was unfruitful. Can anybody help me please?

dolphin (fedora 32) has been acting weird and slow here and there over the last week or so. figured out it’s with 2 specific folders on a hard drive. when I “ls” is get

ls: cannot access ‘download’: Input/output error
ls: cannot access ‘unigine’: Input/output error

and then

d??? ? ? ? ? ? download
d??? ? ? ? ? ? unigine

just corrupt folders or is my driving eating a dick (or both)?
Nothing important in those folders but haven’t tried removing them yet.

Just rebooted and with the nvme boot drive i’m usually booted in 2 minutes or less… This time, it hung at the bios screen, then hung loading linux, then hung when opening dolphin. it never “crashed,” but basically every time I did something that hits the drives it went unresponsive for a couple minutes.

just opened gparted to just blow it up, and again, 3 minutes to scan drive, then another 3-4 minutes when I selected the drive. Going to see what happens if I try to format it, then just pull it.

Deleting the partition I got "Partition 1 on /dev/sdc have been written, but we have been unable to inform kernel of the change…

You could try editing your fan curve with CoreCtrl?

It sounds like something is corrupt with your filesystem. Try unmounting and do fsck. If that does not help remove the folders. If that doesn’t help, consider a new drive - life is too short to waste on debugging broken drives :grin:

1 Like

after I reformatted it it was still an issue… unplugged it, everything is fine. when I feel like ripping the system open I may troubleshoot it but it’s dead to me for now.

Yeah, sounds good. Just buy a new drive if you can live without the data. :slight_smile:

just realized I had all my VM virtual drives on that drive… Oh well.

RMAd the GPU, the fans were died.

1 Like

In KDE, the desktop background on my main monitor always resets to black on login after logging out or restart.

Digging around in my plasma config, '~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/kpluginindex.json` looks like a binary? Or the encoding is wrong?

Yeah, that is definitely not normal. do file ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/kpluginindex.json. That will tell you what format the file is in, binary, text, etc

1 Like

You boyos know if you can cryptsetup root after the OS has been installed? That seems like it would have horrible repercussions, but I figure if you change the cryptdevice afterward and mkinitcpio it would work like it works any other way, yeah?

Or am I gonna have a bad time?

Ain’t never did that so no help there. Not with a boot drive at least.

1 Like

:+1: No worries, a lot of what I’m reading says it can’t be done. But these sources aren’t as well read, enlightened, and high IQ as you fine folks. So I wanted to drop a line here lol.

I’ve only ever done it prior to install/during chroot installations or on non-root/non-boot drives post-install.

1 Like

bsdtar -xpf ArchLinuxARM-rpi-4-latest.tar.gz -C root

https://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv8/broadcom/raspberry-pi-4

What’s a good alternative to bsdtar? I’m on Solus and it doesn’t appear to be installed or in the repos. Just noobing my way through setting up a headless Arch install for the Raspberry Pi 4.

gracias

tar

3 Likes

Thanks - I had actually tried that (stumbled across it before), but the errors I was getting made me think that it wasn’t going to work, but now I realize I get a similar error when I switch to root in the first place.

:face_with_monocle:

I have another issue to pursue it seems. Whenever I switch over to root (sudo -s or sudo -i) I get an error repeated twice:
bash: /root/bin/id: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

And then when I try running tar:
bash: /root/bin/tar: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error

-edit-
I must have really toasted my install. Rebooted and get stuck in a login loop. Bounce out to tty and if I try to do anything other than cd into a directory I have to run it with sudo.

-edit edit-
Just going to reinstall the OS. Tried a few things I found via le Google, but ultimately don’t want to waste time on it. I didn’t have much on this PC that wasn’t already backed up anyhow.

Why are there bins in /root?

1 Like

If I had to guess where I went wrong it was not paying attention to where I was when I started following along with that guide. Trying to mkdir root / boot and mounting them when I was already sitting where my actual Solus boot and root dir’s where.

I’ve finished reinstalling Solus, then created a directory in my home folder for this Pi stuff, and did everything from within that folder. Everything went find this time around. :slight_smile:

Does the -C flag change directory? And the Root at the end do nothing, unless you have it as the root directory [/] in which case, would it write the image over your root file system?

As in, I don’t think the -C root at the end would get on too well with Linux’s tar command? And even worse if you put /