The small linux problem thread

I really haven’t got a clue. Was flying blind for that step, didn’t look up to see what the different flags do.

It’s mostly setup and working now. Got SSH w/ root access enabled, reset the default root and alarmpi pi passwords, pacman and repos running. Only step left is getting WiFi working. It doesn’t seem to recognize there’s a wifi adapater on the Pi4 so when I create my configs for my network and try to start it fails.

I see wlan listed withip link. When I run wifi-menu it does seem to list ONE ssid that’s my network, but none of the usual near by networks I would expect to see. Also, it has an IP address listed on the wlan when run ip address show

Going to look into that later once I have more time.

Ok, well I guess WiFi IS working. I closed the SSH session, pulled the ethernet, and then tried to SSH into the IP for wlan0, and wasn’t able to connect. I doubt it sticks with a reboot, but I’m testing that now. It works once I listed profiles and enabled the correct one.

AMD Navi Driver bug, full UI Crash
Not sure if this problem is too big, but every time i visit this shadertoy, my Session crashes fully and i have to kill it from the console.
This happens on Mutter/Kwin and Chrome/Firefox, so i’m pretty confident its a driver bug.

Setup
  • Amd RX 5700 XT
  • Arch
  • mesa 20.1.4-3
  • linux 5.7.11.arch1-1
  • amdvlk 2020.Q3.2-1 (not sure if that might matter)

I really don’t even know where to report this to.

My drives mount as read only on system bootup have to remount them everytime didn’t have this issue before tho What could be the source of this problem Using Manjaro linux

Damn, why did I click your link. At least I can confirm it is a driver bug, but not specific to Navi. It crashed my RX550 as well.

Edit: You can file a bug report here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/groups/xorg/-/issues

1 Like

post your fstab. I am going to go out on a limb and say that you are missing the rw option and may have used ro instead.

Problem is, it has nothing to do with xorg, right? Or is that bugtracker for mesa + wayland also?

Interesting. That Shadertoy doesn’t crash my Windows Nvidia 1080 Ti with Firefox. But it does freeze the entire GUI including mouse cursor for four seconds, then it recovers with an error messagebox.

On chromium Edge it freezes everything for several seconds then appears to work.

1 Like

Not so much a problem, but question I could probably Google, but I like you guys/gals…

SSH’d into my Pi. I run the SpyServer program and I get this:

All is good, but I’m “in” the program. If I want to run something else, like htop for instance, I can’t do it there anymore. All I know is I can press ctrl+c to kill SpyServer and land me back at the terminal prompt. Then i could run whatever else. How would I get out of the SpyServer without killing it? For now, I just opened a 2nd SSH session and that does the trick, but I’m guessing perhaps that’s unnecessary.

Also, side note… headless Arch on Pi running SpyServer, the total system memory usage is only 60Mb. 61Mb if someone connects to SpyServer. Nice!

you could create a service to run it but I found spyserver to be buggy and needing restart every so often so I would suggest you install tmux and run it via that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info. I did notice some issues with it yesterday.

Maybe a tmux session? There’s the bg/fg shell commands for placing things in the background/foreground, but that’s kinda clunky these days. Tmux is also nice for things you want to keep running after you close the shell session.

Edit: doh, ninja’d by Adubs

3 Likes

Hi Everybody

I want to ask a question before I create a new topic: I want to run Zabbix on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which runs CentOS 7. There is no package for centos armhfp on the zabbix repos. There is however a SRPMS for CentOS. Would it be possible for me to compile my own rpm for my architecture (armhfp)?

If this is possible I would have to figure out how as I have never done anything like this.

On the Pi is CentOS 7, because I want to get used to it because we recently started working with it and RHEL at work. It’s a fresh clean install.

Would likely be more work than its worth

Screen.

3 Likes

Quick start for building from SRPMs:

yum install rpm-build yum-utils libtool
rpm -ihv zabbix-5.0.2-1.el7.src.rpm
cd $HOME/rpmbuild/SPEC
yum-builddep zabbix.spec
rpmbuild -bb zabbix.spec

Don’t be surprised if it errors out on some requirements. Simple things like slightly changed package names trip it up and require you to sort it out. http://www.rpmfind.net is very helpful.

Simple SRPMs are easy to build. But something massive like Zabbix as your first foray is likely to be a struggle.

1 Like

My fstab

/etc/fstab: static file system information.

Use ‘blkid’ to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may

be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if

disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).

UUID=8E8A-50C5 /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 2
UUID=06c9fd41-17ff-4c0f-b670-be64305f85f8 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
UUID=77c482f2-8b28-4421-bd7b-a8c9a8839240 swap swap defaults,noatime 0 2

Weird. By chance is there an issue with fsck on those drives? Too many mounts with no check? You should probably set the swap to 0 since that never needs to be checked.

Other than that, you FSTAB only deal with your boot disk and root so maybe you are dealing with a changed system default if fsck is not the issue.

Thanks a lot @rcxb. I read myself into it just a little. With what kind of obstacles can I expect? Would it be better to just buy a old NUC and slap centos and an officially supported zabbix rpm on that?

Only downsides would be cost and that I would learn anything.

So I read myself a bit further into the topic and am now willing to compile the rpm myself. I did as @rcxb told and as the guide tells me to.

In the specfile I replaced noarch with armv7l.

grafik

I get the error No compatible architecture found for build

Same was tried with armhfp instead of armv7l

You need to install the cross compiler.

Let me find the packages real quick.

EDIT: looks like centos doesn’t have cross build binaries in the repo, you could use the crossbuild docker container though:

1 Like