The small linux problem thread

It is Best and safest to dedicate a separate disk for GNU/Linux. MS Windows can overwrite the MBR or clobber the Linux partition of the disk since it is “unknown”.

It can be done, but it’s not risk-free.

So for a start you can do this in Windows even. You can go into Disk management and resize the partition there. You will eventually hit a limit though on how far you can shrink it. The reason is that there is a few hidden files in sectors right in the middle of the partition (stems from a time where we all had regular HDDs, putting those hidden files in the middle of the disk was the fastest to access), that cannot be moved (because they are being accessed by Windows on boot and only freed on shutdown).

So if the partition is still too big for you, you will have to use third-party tools that can access the filesystem without booting windows. Something like GParted works well (used it before). It will move the sectors before shrinking the partition. Depending on partition size this can take a few hours because it moves each sector individually. Just make a backup before you do, because there is no guarantee this will work when fiddling around in the filesystem (it usually works, but you never know).

Other then that, a separate drive is the best approach anyway because of the whole bootmanager thing.

Fedora 31: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Timeout was reached

Is there a solution for this error? Does impact the system in any way? I have read on Github that the issue resolved itself after removing tpm2-abrmd. Should I remove it or just wait to be resolved in future updates? Tnx.

Error

Without looking in more detail a quick answer to this is that it’s not a huge issue in the short term.

Fwupd provides firmware updates. Which can be infrequent.

The suggestion you found is correct. It’s reported on red hats bugzilla

You can remove tpm2-abrmd, then update the system then run dnf autoremove.

You could also wait, it should eventually get fixed

Thank you for the quick response. Since it is not mission critical I will just wait it out.

so funny thing…
I was trying to install the CUDA drivers for folding at home, and the prerequisites to install CUDA was the Nvidia drivers and kernel.

For whatever reason, using the installation instructions seemed to fix my issue
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cuda
Now I don’t get any of the boot issues, of my system hanging on virtualization daemon.

If I had to guess what was the issue, I’d reason that at boot, the akmods would check for any kernel updates for nvidia, but would not report it so it would look as if the virtualization daemon was hanging when in reality akmods was checking for updates and trying to install it

I followed the instructions from the fedora magazine

Alternative method, that installed akmods, I think the akmods cuda version was the issue
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA

One of three possible things happened

1. the akmods package had a dependency from the Nvidia package that made it hang on boot, as the update would not go through without Nvidia
  2. the nvidia package overwrote the akmods config and is using something else to update the kernel
  3. a kernel update went out and fixxed the nvidia issue for all 20 series cards (I doubt this as I did not have boot issues in the past)

I think option 1 is the most likely answer.

hopefully anyone searching for solutions to this answer will be able to find this post.

including search keywords

Starting Virtualization Daemon...
Started Virtualization daemon.

System hangs at Virtualization daemon. Boot issues
fedora boot stuck on virtualization daemon
fedora 31 boot stuck on virtualization daemon

3 Likes

Way to SEO there buddy :slight_smile: glad the bug shook out

2 Likes

I don’t have a Linux problem except for the one I found a workaround for it. Today I watched A Twitch stream and learned about a new small script. I thought it was so amazing I had to share. It is called Neofetch and what it does is prints out a list of your Linux system resources. I have shared the output I got from running the script below.

.-/+oossssoo+/-.               prince_charming@Doc 
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`           ------------------- 
      -+ssssssssssssssssssyyssss+-         OS: Ubuntu 19.10 x86_64 
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       Kernel: 5.3.0-46-generic 
   /ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/      Uptime: 8 hours, 37 mins 
  +ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+     Packages: 2670 (dpkg) 
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/    Shell: bash 5.0.3 
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Resolution: 1920x1080 
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   DE: KDE 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   WM: KWin 
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   Theme: Breeze [KDE], Breeze [GTK3] 
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   Icons: breeze [KDE], breeze [GTK3] 
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Terminal: konsole 
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/    Terminal Font: Hack 14 
  +sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+     CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8- (16) @ 3.600GHz 
   /ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/      GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Rev. A 
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       Memory: 2705MiB / 32106MiB 
      -+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`                                   
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.

1 Like

Neofetch is all around in this forum. It also has a bunch of configuration you can do to customise the output. The config file is in ~/.config/neofetch/config.conf

2 Likes

screenfetch is a neofetch alternative that does the same thing as well. Some distro may ship with one over the other or neither.

2 Likes

Also check out inxi and the flags you can give it.
No fancy pic though

1 Like

Hi all,

has anyone been able to setup Plex on Fedora 31? I was able to install it and I am able to get to the web interface but there is no option to add a library anywhere. I have tried setting SELinux to permissive mode and I have also chmoded my directories to 777. Still no luck. Any suggestions?

I just tried to setup Plex on a different computer, I to can’t add movie folders. I don’t think it is a permission issue. I think the authors of Plex broke the latest update of their software for Linux. My I suggest setting up Emby Serveri instead. I use Emby Server instead of Plex.

1 Like

I would try jellyfin. Branch off emby before you had to start paying. Works just as good as emby

2 Likes

@hem and @Shadowbane,

thanks. I am running Jellyfin right now. I was able to install it without a problem. firewall-cmd --add-port=8096/tcp and it was up and running without a need to fiddle with SELinux; things just working is a huge plus! Had a bit of trouble finding the information about the port and the app does need some polish, IMO, but I think that it is great! I have not tested this with nVidia hardware acceleration yet but I do like it. I have also not tested any of this from outside and I don’t think that I will be doing that although I am curious on how it works out and how to set that up. Finally, Jellyfin seems to be faster/more responsive then Plex was (just judging with my eyes no tests or anything).

Hi guys,

I have come to like the nord type color scheme with the dark grey and purples. Any Xfce users out there know how to change the menu highlight colors from lets say manjaro sea to a nord like color? I installed the settings-manage but it does not seem to have that option.

So I decided to get off Ubuntu because they pushed out the Amazon app through an update, which is my fault for not paying attention but the fact that they’re still doing that turned me off real quick. I chose 19.10 Minimal specifically because it didn’t come with the Amazon stuff as far as I could tell. But apparently it either was there and just not shown, or they decided to push out an app that I didn’t actually ask for.

So this time I went with Manjaro KDE. I have two small and one big problem with Manjaro KDE that do no need to be solved (for me) but I was just curious if anyone else has had these issues as well.

1. Small: When you set up encryption during installation, it seems to work fine. But then when you boot it doesn’t show any cursor on the screen to type in your encryption password, and it takes a good 30 seconds at least to get past that screen after you enter the password. I’ve had this issue on multiple computers. It’s been an issue for at least a couple years now. Obviously this is a non-issue for people who don’t want to set up encryption (I assume most people), and there is a fix for it if I remember correctly, but I don’t see why Manjaro hasn’t fixed it themselves yet.

2. Small: CUPS was not working out of the box, so I couldn’t set up my printer without fixing that. I felt like I was back in 2008, trying to patch Linux together to get (what should be) standard shit to work.

3. Big: After I got it all set up, updated, etc. I installed Steam and the download speeds were absolutely atrocious. I tried several different mirrors, cleared download cache, set IPv6 to Ignored in the network manager like one guy said fixed his. I ran speedtest.net and fast.com and they were both reporting ~150 Mb/s. Couldn’t get Steam downloads to work properly though. It would spike up to about 6 MB/s and then drift down to like 200 Kb/s and sit there for a couple minutes, then repeat. I thought maybe I was being throttled because I’ve been downloading a lot of games recently, so I tried downloading a couple small games on my Pop!_OS laptop and they went through perfectly fine, both at ~19 MB/s the whole time.

I spent a few hours trying to find a solution and most people just tried to pass it off as an ISP throttling issue or a HDD write issue, and the few actual solutions that I found didn’t work for me :man_shrugging:. My solution was to install KDE Neon instead, and now it’s working perfectly fine. Steam downloads ~19 MB/s and my printer was detected automatically. So I know it’s not an ISP or HDD issue. It’s something with Manjaro, maybe even just Manjaro KDE specifically. I decided to pass on encryption with KDE Neon because it’s on my desktop. I always use it on my laptop though in case it gets stolen.

And speaking of encryption, I love that Pop!_OS puts some emphasis on setting up encryption when you’re going through the installation screens. For most distros it’s just a checkbox.

I ran into this issue in the past where Steam downloads were horribly spotty and inconsistent. In my case, installing dnsmasq fixed the issue. Sometimes more work is required with non-Ubuntu distros. If you decide to try Manjaro again, maybe this will work:

1 Like

I will keep that in mind the next time I hop :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Sooo, I’m a little confused here…

I was just about to do the Fedora (KDE) 31 to 32 Upgrade. First things it complained about was inkscape and various python2 packages, which was expected. But the next thing it’s complaining about is this:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=32        
Before you continue ensure that your system is fully upgraded by running "dnf --refresh upgrade". Do you want to continue [y/N]: y
Error: 
 Problem: package ktp-common-internals-19.12.2-1.fc32.x86_64 requires libtelepathy-qt5-service.so.0()(64bit), but none of the providers can be installed
  - problem with installed package ktp-common-internals-19.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64
  - telepathy-qt5-0.9.7-9.fc31.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
  - ktp-common-internals-19.12.1-1.fc31.x86_64 does not belong to a distupgrade repository
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages)
[tarulia@localhost ~]$ dnf info ktp-common-internals
Last metadata expiration check: 0:05:11 ago on Thu 30 Apr 2020 17:18:06 CEST.
Installed Packages
Name         : ktp-common-internals
Version      : 19.12.1
Release      : 1.fc31
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 3.7 M
Source       : ktp-common-internals-19.12.1-1.fc31.src.rpm
Repository   : @System
From repo    : updates
Summary      : Common internals for KDE Telepathy
URL          : https://cgit.kde.org/ktp-common-internals.git
License      : LGPLv2+
Description  : Common internals for KDE Telepathy.

So… this is a KDE feature that is… missing in a KDE distribution’s repo? I mean I don’t use it, I could just remove it, but this seems weird? It would uninstall a bunch of stuff though, but they all seem related to Telepathy:

[tarulia@localhost ~]$ sudo dnf remove ktp-common-internals
Dependencies resolved.
========================================================================================================================
 Package                                  Architecture        Version                       Repository             Size
========================================================================================================================
Removing:
 ktp-common-internals                     x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              3.7 M
Removing dependent packages:
 ktp-auth-handler                         x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              416 k
 ktp-contact-list                         x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              1.0 M
 ktp-contact-runner                       x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              290 k
 ktp-filetransfer-handler                 x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              321 k
 ktp-kded-integration-module              x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              751 k
 ktp-send-file                            x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              164 k
 ktp-text-ui                              x86_64              19.12.1-1.fc31                @updates              3.9 M
Removing unused dependencies:
 libotr                                   x86_64              4.1.1-8.fc31                  @fedora               419 k
 signon-glib                              x86_64              2.1-5.fc31                    @fedora               189 k
 telepathy-accounts-signon                x86_64              2.0-3.fc31                    @fedora                62 k
 telepathy-logger                         x86_64              0.8.2-9.fc31                  @fedora               293 k
 telepathy-logger-qt                      x86_64              17.08.0-7.fc31                @fedora               212 k
Transaction Summary
Remove  13 Packages

Freed space: 12 M
Is this ok [y/N]: N
Operation aborted.

This is actually the first time I have to deal with compatibility issues during a Fedora Upgrade…