The small linux problem thread

The norm would be “/mnt”. You could also use “/media” as that is what the kidz are doing now.

1 Like

Thx, I’ll probably go with /mnt. The only things that bothers me slightly is that according to specs /mnt is to be used mainly for temporary file system mounting. But it seems better than /media that is primarily intended for removable media or creating new separate directory under root or using home directory structure.

Since this partition would be exclusively used for qemu data I was also thinking about using /var directory. By default qemu disk images are store at /var/lib/libvirt/images directory. So I was thinking about either mouting partition to this exact directory or creating a separate directory, something like /var/lib/libvirt/images.lv (where lv stands for logical volume). Not sure though how good or bad this idea is.

Manjaro KDE LTS 4.19.32 kernel here.

About two updates ago, a right-click on Chrome browser to save an image or file, results in:
“Error - KDialog The specified folder does not exist or was not readable.” which then opens a folder selection window. small irritating one more mouse click before saving.

Does not happen in Pacman version of Firefox. The Chrome browser is only available in AUR repository.

Truly a minor Linux bother

Anybody know if it’s possible to get KDE-like notifications in Cinnamon?

My notifications keep auto-clearing, which makes them rather useless. I’d like to be able to see my notification history.

Perfectly willing to rip out Cinnamon’s notifications entirely and replace it with something else, just dunno how.

You can definitely do that. You just have to make sure that your users have the right permissions to dick around in var (atleast the right group) and then update your FSTAB with the correct mounting options. I point my additional long term storage devices at /mnt and then mount them as needed.

The only device that automounts in /mnt is my 1TB SSD that stores my steam repo, AArch VMs, and general media. I symlinked my home folders to those items on that disk are accessible to me via ArchLinux or Debian (Music, Docs, Media, and etc). I come from a time before the /media directory existed.

Are you running Xorg or Wayland? AMD, Intel, or Nvidia for GPU?

I don’t think you can without editing source code.

Hi all,

I am trying to re-purpose a secondary disk on my PC. The disk originally held the following partitions

/swap
/var
/tmp
/home

I’ve already moved /home over to my SSD and changed the mount point (I have the old home temporarily mounted at /old_home) and this has been fine for the last couple of days.

Today I started the process of moving /var to the SSD (temporarily while I re-jig the HD)

I have temporarily disabled swap (I have 64gb of RAM so I assume there shouldn’t be any issue running without swap while I am doing the work)

I’ve booted up a live Fedora ISO, decrypted the LUKS partitions and copied the contents of the /var partition to the /var directory on my SSD (I just left /tmp on the SSD empty)

I then edited /etc/fstab and commented out the following lines where the old /tmp and /var partitions are mounted.

/dev/mapper/luks-2ee4680e-6f78-4ed1-a36c-baf0a8f386c9 /tmp                    ext4    defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 2
/dev/mapper/luks-370a67ae-fb11-4168-82c0-715f2216abeb /var                    ext4    defaults,x-systemd.device-timeout=0 1 2

But after doing so Fedora no longer boots into Gnome, I get prompted for the LUKS passphrase and the Plymouth progress bar completes as normal but the Gnome login never shows up.

When I un-comment the lines in /etc/fstab the everything works normally.

I was working on the assumption that Fedora would just use /var and /tmp (on the root partition), is this not the case? Is there some other file I need to edit to tell Fedora when the data is now? Have I missed something stupid?

I use rsync to copy the data from the HD to the SSD and have checked the data with diff.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It could be a permissions issue, what opts did you use when doing rsync?

2 Likes

I used rsync -av as far as I know the -a is for archive and implies the -ogptrD options to copy all attributes (at least that’s what my “Linux Pocket Guide” tells me :smiley:)

From the rsync manpage

-a, --archive archive mode; equals -rlptgoD (no -H,-A,-X)

This doesn’t copy hardlinks, ACLs or XATTRs

1 Like

Ah I see, thank you.

I’ll try re-copy the data with rsync -avHAX and see if that works. :+1:

2 Likes

That was it, rsync -avHAX did the job. I am back in with the old partitions unmounted and I can see that there’s some new time stamps in /var and /tmp so looks like they are being used.

I’ll be moving them back to the HD when I clean it up but I reckon I need to do a little more reading about hardlinks, ACLs, XATTSs etc in the mean time.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

4 Likes

everyonce in a while when playing overwatch, my whole desktop will hang. I can drop into a terminal session fine with Alt+F3 and login fine. I can do whatever I want. I can even use HTOP to open other programs. they load just fine. But I can’t get back to my game, I can’t kill it, I can’t get back to my desktop. Only way to fix it is to reboot from Alt+F3.

Am I correct in assuming if I start Lutris from my Alt+F3 terminal and then Alt+F2 back to my desktop the terminal from Alt+F3 should still be outputting commands and if I press Alt+F3 again I should see the output? Trying to find a way to at least see what the error is.

Depends. Doesn’t Lutris need a DE, unless you are running command line arguments.

Generally, for GUI apps, they only run in the tty what is running X/Wayland and/or the DE. You session is tied to the DE and at least with X, you would need to specify the screen when running another instance of the X server.

Basically it is like trying to run a GUI app as root in a normal user’s session, you will get a screen issue or a session issue because root is not running an X/Wayland session

For example try from a terminal in your normal DE session.

sudo gedit

or

sudo -i
gedit

Then basically try to do the same thing minus the sudo in your tty2 after logging into your DE in tty3.

Does anyone know of the CentOS 7 yum equivalent of OpenSuse’s

zypper patch -g security

(that only installs security updates)?

Or, is this still not possible?

Aren’t most patches for fixing security issues?

1 Like

Hey! I need help with my second system that i want to install linux on, i have amd radeon r9 280x on that machine but according to amds website they dont support it on 18.04 Lts release. Does the open source drivers work with my gpu?

There’s a plugin for yum that needs to be installed seperately.
And like @nx2l speculated, most updates are security fixes anyway, bug fixes and security updates - holes are just plain bugs.

1 Like

If it doesn’t, update the kernel to a more recent one.