The small linux problem thread

Okay guys I have the following profiles

Top is my night time profile

Middle is my super accurate color profile… basically for office work and web design or anything that requires perfect color space on my monitor.

bottom is my movie/gaming profile

I use this profile especially for occasions on which you spend a lot of time in front of your monitor with some games or watching movies – it will be easier for you to discern fine nuances in the dark.

Is there some way I can trigger a change in my profile based on whether or not ubuntu night light has activated or not? Any ideas?

This isn’t a problem, more of a general wine question,
Can you run multiple programs in the same WINEPREFIX at the same time?
If not are there any ways to make programs from different prefixes interact with each other?
As an example Cheatengine, or a modding tool which interacts with the game in memory

Absolutely, many games do this already without you noticing. And if you were to run steam in wine for example, running a game would launch the second program. So as long as it’s happening under the same wineserver, which it would be, the programs will interact.

I successfully installed RHEL 7.6
I have a problem, though. I can’t install the Brave browser because I can’t install Liberation fonts, because they’re seemingly not supported.
If I try to install Brave from terminal, I copy the commands into it and I get

Error: Package: brave-browser-0.61.52-1.x86_64 (brave-browser-release)
           Requires: liberation-fonts

and then it says

yum can be configured to try to resolve such errors by temporarily enabling
disabled repos and searching for missing dependencies.
To enable this functionality please set 'notify_only=0' in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/search-disabled-repos.conf

Error: Package: brave-browser-0.61.52-1.x86_64 (brave-browser-release)
           Requires: liberation-fonts
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

Any help would be appreciated.

I also have the fonts downloaded, but can’t seem to install them. If I download using Application Installer, I get an error and nothing else.
I installed the fonts in ‘Software’ but it still gives me this error.

liberation-fonts is in the optional repository. Try giving this a shot then attempting the install:
sudo subscription-manager repos --enable rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
sudo yum update

I only get this

cannot parse argument: sudo
cannot parse argument: yum
cannot parse argument: update

I derped the formatting, should be two different commands. Fix it above.

1 Like

Ok, that did a ton of stuff. Installed about 300MB worth of packages and enabled optional ones.
Now, when I run brave install commands I get this:

Transaction Summary
=========================================================================================================
Install  2 Packages (+8 Dependent packages)

Total size: 70 M
Installed size: 71 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]: y
Downloading packages:
warning: /var/cache/yum/x86_64/7Server/brave-browser-release/packages/brave-keyring-1.0-1.fc30.noarch.rpm: Header V4 RSA/SHA512 Signature, key ID e3ffc656: NOKEY

Public key for brave-keyring-1.0-1.fc30.noarch.rpm is not installed

It appears to be an error when it’s searching for the signature key.
I did manage to install the Beta browser, though, so I guess it’s allright.
Thanks for your help.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/topic/140607

This topic was automatically opened after 5 hours.

Is it feasible to run a patch management program for a multi-distro environment using Ansible?

1 Like

That’s an awful vague question.

I suppose you could. You can tell ansible to install specific versions of packages, right? So you could make it work, the only problem is that across different distros, you’ll need to make sure the package version is available in the repos.

I wouldn’t call it the most reliable solution though.

I’d rather use the distros patch management solution.

Is there any reason you can’t consolidate to a single distro?

Any advice on increasing a partition? Basically /dev/sda is 300GB and /dev/sda1 is 250gb. I need /dev/sda1 to be 300GB without borking the drive. I believe I can do this with fdisk. It is an ext3 FS and there are no other partitions on sda.

Any advice? I’ve gone through several tutorials online, but it’s not resonating with me.

I guess all I have to do is

fdisk /dev/sda
d
n
p
w

resize2fs /dev/sda1

Let’s start with the output of

fdisk -l sda

hmmmm :confused:

i5-8300H (uhd 630) on a base Arch install. Can’t get display output unless I use nomodeset.

Is anyone using linux kernel 5.0 with a (wireless) logitech mouse? Scrolling with the wheel sometimes becomes very slow, where it takes many clicks or a significant rotation of the mouse wheel to scroll the page one step.

It happens only sometimes, seemingly after the mouse has been awakened from its power saving state. Turning the mouse off and on again restores normal behavior.

This started happening after moving to kernel 5.0. Since booting back into 4.20 it hasn’t happened yet.

Kernel 5.0 had a new feature for high resolution scrolling, so I’m wondering if it’s a bug with that.

Mouse is a Logitech M720, and there is also a Logitech k830 wireless keyboard paired on the same Unifying receiver.

I have a fedora 29 system on kernel 5.0 with a wireless mouse, dongle not bluetooth. Mine works perfectly.

I have a Logi MX Ergo mouse.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m on fedora 29 too. Not sure what it could be but it started with kernel 5.0…

I’ll come back to this one in a second.

New Question:

If I use fdisk on volume which has Partition Table msdos do I need to use the -c -u flags?

Example output:

parted -l

Model: VMware Virtual disk (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdd: 53.7GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

I’m thinking about creating separate ext4 formatted thinly provisioned logical volume for storing raw and qcow2 VM images. What would be the standard place to mount this partition to? This is single user system, but still home directory doesn’t sound quite right.