The small linux problem thread

Thanks.

Hm but running the appimage from the desktop file worked fine (I had it linked to a symlink directly previously, without using the shell-script).

I’ll have to look into logger since last time I was trying to redirect output in a desktop file that didn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah it was just a guess so maybe not.

Strange that wouldn’t work. Maybe try sending it to a file in /tmp instead.

1 Like

Figured it out, and turns out it wasn’t even related to my script (well sort of).

So I did a test with logger in the Terminal and that showed up in journalctl (using -b 0 -r). Then tried adding some logger lines to the updater script, but that didn’t show up so I was a bit confused until I saw this:

Feb 22 00:21:18 localhost.localdomain krunner[722035]: gamemodeauto:
Feb 22 00:21:18 localhost.localdomain krunner[722035]: /home/tarulia/programs/RPCS3/rpcs3: line 2: ./update_rpcs3.sh: No such file or directory

Which reminded me that at some point I changed my shortcuts to run RPCS3 using gamemoderun. So I reverted that and then it started. Added gamemoderun to the launcher-helper script and that works fine.

So yeah, errors in desktop files show up in journalctl and are logged by krunner :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the default video player in ubuntu is “Totem” though it doesn’t call itself that on its GUI.

Searching with Totem instead of videos should give you more information. Seems like its been a problem for quite some time and the work arounds are pretty cheesy if you sometimes want subtitles & sometimes don’t.

https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-to-turn-off-subtitles-in-totem/

I have a small shell scripting problem. Can anyone help… whos a linux scripting guru around here: Need help with a FLAC sort script

I have a small problem with Fedora 33 Cinnamon spin on a laptop with a 1366x768 display.

dnfdragora - the graphical package manager, overruns the screen vertically, so that the Apply button is hidden somewhere south of the display (hiding task bar doesn’t reveal it either). This window, for whatever reason, cannot be resized any smaller in the vertical.

Yes I can use dnf from the terminal, but the graphical app makes it easier to find things or just browse.

I’ve not run into any other program, system applet, etc that exhibits this same behaviour.

The display will not run higher than 1366x768 either - it’s a 4 year old cheap consumer grade Acer with AMD A9 graphics

On KDE there is an option to drag the window using a hotkey and the mouse, maybe that’s an option in Cinnamon too?
Otherwise you should also be able to right-click the application in the task bar (or whatever Cinnamon calls it) and select moving it from there.

Might have to change the scaling to 50% and then change it back. I don’t know where you do that in cinnamon though.

Ran into the same issue as before

This time I followed the suggestion from here

adding diskspacecheck=0 to line to /etc/dnf/dnf.conf: allowed me to update. but running du | sort -n as per @zlynx 's suggestion

made me realize I have a lot of anaconda packages.

Proxmox: moved drive from one proxmox machine to another and mounted it - all worked. Used it for a while and restart the computer today and now there’s no data on the drive.

Any ideas why it would suddenly have no files on it? I can provide more details if needed.

Can you mount it manually?

1 Like

I had something similar happen. The TLDR is to make sure the drive is actually mounted.

The slightly longer version is that I had a ZFS pool set up. One day the host rebooted and the drive appeared empty. Turns out that during a Proxmox update it reset my ZFS config and was no longer mounting the pool on boot, but since the mount point was still there it looked just like any other empty folder. This lead me to the false conclusion that my drive had been wiped somehow, but after a few moments of panic I realized I could just re-mount it and everything would be ok.

3 Likes

@oO.o It appears as if it is.

@judahnator Okay. I did set the drive up as ZFS though it is a single disk on its own. If I mount it, will it stay mounted after a restart or will I have to remount it every time? Is there some sort of startup thing to make it automatically remount on startup? Sorry, I’m a bit useless with Linux.

EDIT: Mounting using the normal “mount” command has made the files show up - thanks guys.

1 Like

Its been years, and my bash history does not extend that far back. If you can mount it and see your data is there, that is a good indication that the problem is with mounting and not necessarily with the data itself.

I also seem to remember that halfway through resolving this issue I ran into another problem where the pool would mount on boot, but not before Proxmox would try to start VM’s sitting on that pool. This gave me some fun troubleshooting where it would throw a bunch of errors, but also say “everything is fine its mounted!”

This seems to be on the right track, it might be a good read if you get stuck:

1 Like

Thanks. I just edited my last post to say that it was working after mounting. I don’t want to restart if I can avoid it so I’ll leave it running and hope it works again next time. I’ve bookmarked that link in case it breaks again next time.

1 Like

Just a quick question, I have a client planing to move to in-house tool development and I’m preparing to send them ~1500 CAD files I created for them over the years.

The files are on my TrueNAS core server and I want to provide them with files and file hash list to avoid any “you’ve sent us broken files” in the future.

So to my question, if I go to shell on TrueNAS, cd to /mnt/clients and do

find Client -type f -print0 | xargs -0 sha256 > filelist.txt

I should get the file list with sha256 hashes?

This list will be emailed along with download link, and I would require them to verify sha256 hashes of the downloaded files and confirm there are no differences. If there are problems later, I can just refer them to hash list to prove that the file is different from what I gave them.

Is this enough (email, filelist, confirmation email) or should I go the extra kilometer :slight_smile: and print the list to PDF and digitally sign it with timestamp?

Once you’ve got an email response from them verifying that the hashes match, you’re golden. Job done.

I’d obtain some clarity about how long you should keep your copy of the files, however. They may want you to delete your copy as soon as they have verified their copy, or they might want you to hold on to your copy for a specified amount of time, just in case.

1 Like

We agreed on their IT guy verifying the hash list and signing a statement that says that files match the list from “filelist.txt” that itself has a hash of whatever. So both parties will save the statement and filelist.txt due to their concerns about faking and/or deleting email threads.

And just to clarify, my policy is as soon as I don’t work for you anymore, your files and backups get purged - not optional.

On the off-chance anyone looking for this feature finds my old post, I did get part of the way there. The Kitty terminal can be extended with python code. It was only a few minutes of work to write something that increases / decreases the font size when the terminal is significantly resized. That’s good enough for e.g. dealing with a tiling window manager resizing your terminal on you.

I was not able to get it to handle every small resize operation, so that it always keeps the exact rows/columns, though I expect a good programmer would likely be able to get much closer than I. Would be better handled inside the application, but I’m not dedicated enough to start digging into the urxvt code right now.