The small linux problem thread

Saying that, I should support paid Linux software, it is good for the ecosystem in general

1 Like

Yeah, definitely.

If I had used it, I’d be paying for it now.

I just don’t use Ubuntu.

I think it’s important to support devs who need the support, and if $12 one-time fee is too much, you can build a kernel yourself.

3 Likes

and same price as a year of Patreon(at peasant tier), with less fees

2 Likes

2 Likes

Anyone have a solution for this besides setting install-only to zero and manually pruning kernels?

Going to try this:

echo "kernel*$(uname -r) > "/etc/dnf/protected.d/kernel-$(uname -r).conf"

A post was merged into an existing topic: CentOS 8 Week 1 (WIP)

Best FPS counter? Looking to use it with Lutris and Wine

dnf update --exclude=kernel*

1 Like

I want it to update the kernel though, I just want to mark some specific kernels from being pruned.

Anyone got some good reference material for building your own Certificate Authority. I setup a gitlab instance and it’s all local to my lan and wanting to get https commits going.

3 Likes

I find the one provided in the openvpn docs is alright.

3 Likes

That is a much better way than the other documentation I have been reading. Appreciate it.

1 Like

When a config file is numbered as below, is that just a loose way to control the order in which it’s loaded, or do the numbers correspond to something specific?

00-firewalld.conf

A bit late, maby Etcher will work.

I’ve also had great success with FedoraMediaWriter and it’s all I use now, though ironically I’m not sure if it’s easily available for other linux distributions. This may work: https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.fedoraproject.MediaWriter

1 Like

From my understanding (loose) is that the numbers tie the configuration file to a category so that you can group like things together. Or that is how it was explain by the docs when Debian went to that style in 2010

1 Like

Didn’t want to start a new thread for this… Anyone tried fractional scaling with Gnome 3.34? Are the fonts still blurry when using Firefox or Chrome?

Reinstalling tomorrow due to a system upgrade and wondering whether i should bother with Gnome or go straight to Plasma again.

Anyone got any experience with eGPU and Linux operating systems?

I can only get the setup working under Ubuntu. Fedora kinda works until I install Nvidia drivers (tried 390 to 430), then it’s no go.

Curious to know what I’m doing wrong or what I could be doing different.

Are you only using nvidia or have you tried it with AMD? it should be possible with DRI prime, but i dont think that nvidia works with that

1 Like

That’s a good idea, I’ll try my 580. Just been using the 1080.

Mother of God, someone recommends AMD over Nvidia and it actually makes sense. World == :fire:

m-m-muh proprietery d-driver

1 Like