The small linux problem thread

I’ve installed https://github.com/nicolargo/glances via pip on my PI 3B+ but pip didnt add it to the path so how would I add it to the path so I can launch it from terminal

Find out where it got installed (try locate glances) and add the executable to preferably your user’s path.

In ~./bash_profile have PATH=$PATH:[PATH_TO_GLANCES_EXECUTABLE_PARENT_DIRECTORY]

Or, my preference, have something like PATH=$PATH:$HOME/.local/bin:$HOME/bin and make a symbolic link in ~/.local/bin or ~/bin to wherever glances is located.

cheers for the reply but I realized I was a derp and must’ve not checked if I could install it with apt so I just installed it that way

Yeah, glances is also available through repos usually, but not always up to date.

1 Like

Shit, that’s good.
Might you create a thread for posterity?

1 Like

Your wish is granted!

5 Likes

Thanks bud

I’m having a Bluetooth pairing problem with Fedora 29. Every time the system starts up or reboots, my Bluetooth device (a Logitech M535 mouse) has to be manually re-paired. IOW, I have to manually start blueberry (blueman won’t work for some reason), hit the pairing button on the mouse, then press the “Connect” toggle for the mouse to pair, connect and operate. Is there a correct/better way to do this, or a script I can put in my XFCE “Session and Startup” to reconnect properly? If it matters, I have a no-name USB bluetooth adapter using the “btbcm” module.

It is interesting that blueman does not work. You should be able to store the MAC of your mouse in a trusted file after pairing. I did this on my rpi ages ago for a few audio devices but, I don’t really do much with it anymore (rpi 1 B, not plus model). Again using Bluez and Blueman here.

Do you know what errors you are getting from bluman/bluez? That could be part of your issue.

1 Like

Like so many Linux driver problems, my Bluetooth issue was caused by a missing firmware file. Somehow blueberry was able to work around the problem while blueman wasn’t able to deal with it. “dmesg | grep -e blue” found the missing firmware name, and a Google search found the proper firmware file. Once in /lib/firmware/brcm, the pairing persisted across reboots.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for adding your resolution.

2 Likes

Problem:

Can’t install ukuu through apt. I added the repo and updated but …

E: Unable to locate package ukuu

I also found out that it is a paid program now… :roll_eyes:
So I guess I need something different or a tutorial to upgrade the kernel manually.

1 Like

It’s still on github, no need to use the paid version.

No need to upgrade to the paid version, its just fetches kernels from https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

• fixed link
2 Likes

I know that but there already isn’t a version for ubuntu 19.04 in the repo and for a piece of software that updates the core of my OS, not getting updated anymore is a death sentence.

I don’t think so. It’s just a frontend to a package manager. It’s really not that bad.

If you want to do it manually, here:

Also, is it so bad to pay the $12?

1 Like

Yes, sure. It’s the couple bucks why I don’t wanna use it anymore… exactly. :wink:

But thanks for the link. :+1:

2 Likes

Happy to help!

Is it really that hard to add repos and/or just compile your own kernel? That is a serious question. Maybe I have been using GNU/Linux for too long now.

I feel this is the reason why I keep hearing, Linux is so hard and stupid because you have to use other repos and software to maintain it. In the case of APT based systems, it could not be any easier to add a new repo or manually install deb packages with dpkg.

/rant
I am not digging into anyone here, but seriously, if you do not have the time to learn how to do something properly, then maybe you just are not ready to use that thing. I mean, people are having issues reading quick guides for products now. They literally made the quick guide because they knew you were too lazy to RTFM. You cannot even read a piece of paper with pictures now? Really
/rant

Not really, but compiling your own kernel on a regular basis ends up sucking up a lot of your time.

Not really, but compiling your own kernel on a regular basis ends up sucking up a lot of your time.

Does it though? It’s not as bad as chromium, only takes a few minutes if you do localmodconfig